2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-19-2014, 01:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Ford Maintenance Schedule.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:33 PM
CCBennett_1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 60000 mile scheduled maintenance is getting close and I was looking in the manual to see what this recommended maintence consists of. After seeing what is to be done I was wondering if I am going to need a second mortgage on my house to pay for all this. (Below) Is everything necessary? It seems like every time they “inspect” something it will need to be replaced. This will be due just before my family vacation out west so I don’t want to break the bank before we go.
1. Replace engine air filter
2. Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
3. Perform multi-point inspection
4. Inspect automatic transmission fluid level (if equipped with underhood dipstick)
5. Change automatic transmission fluid
6. Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage, ball joints, suspension joints, half and drive-shafts and u-joints
7. Inspect engine cooling system and hoses
8. Replace fuel filter
9. Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise
10. Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields

BTW: This is the best forum I have ever been a part of. I have learned a tremendous amount of things about my truck.
Thank you FTE!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:17 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
A whole lot of that stuff you can do yourself. I'll break it down as best I can:

Originally Posted by CCBennett_1
1. Replace engine air filter
Pretty self explanatory. Change it yourself to save some cash.

2. Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
Basically, are you having any trouble with your brakes? Do you have any vibration when you brake? Does your parking brake work? Check your brake fluid level in the reservoir. As long as all that is ok, everything is more than likely fine. They can check the pads when they rotate the tires and shouldn't charge you to check them. I always run pads until the wear indicators kick in- they'll start screeching all the time.

3. Perform multi-point inspection
Not exactly sure what this consists of, but probably not nearly as sophisticated as it sounds.

4. Inspect automatic transmission fluid level (if equipped with underhood dipstick)
Basically, you need a tranny flush. This will be the most expensive part of the service, more than likely.

6. Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage, ball joints, suspension joints, half and drive-shafts and u-joints
This should be part of any regular oil change at no additional charge. Just greasing wherever there is a fitting.

7. Inspect engine cooling system and hoses
Check the coolant level in the overflow reservior. Does your truck leak coolant on the ground? Do any hoses look dry-rotted (cracked), or have spots that are rubbing, possibly wearing a hole?

8. Replace fuel filter
Self explanatory. Replace it yourself and save some money.

9. Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise
That last part is basically trying to make sure a wheel bearing isn't about to fail. They shouldn't charge to check this as it is very easy to do with the vehicle on jack stands or a lift. Basically you just try to rock the tire from side with you hands to see if it has any play, and listen for noise when you spin the wheel.

10. Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields
Do you hear any exhaust leaks when you drive the truck? I wouldn't think they should charge you for this either because all should take is a 1 minute glance at most while the truck is on the lift.

So basically, you need a new air filter, a new fuel filter, an oil change, tire rotation, and a tranny flush.

I hope some of this helps. Buying a cheap manual like Haynes at autozone can go a long way explaining some simple maintenance procedures if you want to do them yourself.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM
CCBennett_1
Senior User
I guess I should have read through it more thoroughly. The volume of things to be done scared me away from digging into it. I was pretty sure that the tranny flush was going to be the high priced item. I noticed that there isn’t any mention of a transmission filter with that flush. If they are going to put all new oil in wouldn’t you want a new filter? Thanks for the help cpdorroh. Like I said FTE is the best.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:27 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
I noticed that there isn’t any mention of a transmission filter with that flush. If they are going to put all new oil in wouldn’t you want a new filter?
Good question. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if your tranny has a filter. I know the Torqshift in my SD did, but I don't think the 4r70w in my '01 had one. Maybe somebody else can clear this up to be sure.

But if there is an external filter, yes it should be changed as part of the flush.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cpdorroh
Good question. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if your tranny has a filter. I know the Torqshift in my SD did, but I don't think the 4r70w in my '01 had one. Maybe somebody else can clear this up to be sure.

But if there is an external filter, yes it should be changed as part of the flush.

CBBENNETT, yes there is filter IN your transmission and it probably should be changed when the transmission is flushed. The filter is visible when the transmission pan is removed. Dan.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
you aren't supposed to change out the tranny fluid in these trucks. the Maintenance Guide only specifies a fluid change on the 4R100 tranny and Torqushift
per the 2004 Maintenance Guide...normal schedule @ 60,000 miles:
Change automatic transmission fluid on all
vehicles equipped with 4R100.

Inspect automatic transmission/transaxle fluid
level on all other vehicles, if equipped with dipstick.
Consult your dealer for your particular
requirements
Special Conditions adds the requirements to change the t-case fluid

Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 AM
CCBennett_1
Senior User
Originally Posted by tylus
you aren't supposed to change out the tranny fluid in these trucks. the Maintenance Guide only specifies a fluid change on the 4R100 tranny and Torqushift
EVER? This is showing my ignorance but why not? Almost nothing lasts forever and I highly doubt that my transmission fluid will. Don't misunderstand me on this. I would much rather spend my money on something else than a tranny flush.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 AM
cpdorroh
Elder User
EVER? This is showing my ignorance but why not? Almost nothing lasts forever and I highly doubt that my transmission fluid will. Don't misunderstand me on this. I would much rather spend my money on something else than a tranny flush.
Thanks again for the help.
I always had my '01 flushed. Same for my parent's '03 Expy, still going strong at 150k. I don't have a manual for a an '04, so I can't speak for what it says in there, but I don't see how it could possibly hurt anything to have your tranny flushed or at least change the fluid.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:01 PM
speckledpig
Freshman User
I'm curious...OP, did you have your tranny fluid flushed and filter changed, and if so do you mind telling us how much you paid (and where)?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 PM
kenwowski
Senior User
When you guys say "flush" are you referring to simply changing the transmission fluid and filter or actually hooking it up to one of those machines that flushes all of the fluid out? I heard scary things about "flushing" a tranny.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by kenwowski
When you guys say "flush" are you referring to simply changing the transmission fluid and filter or actually hooking it up to one of those machines that flushes all of the fluid out? I heard scary things about "flushing" a tranny.
I mean hooking it up to a machine. I had it done every 30k on my last 2 trucks and never had any tranny problems. My dad's always done it every 30k on his SD as well, and it has 180k on the clock with 0 problems. The same goes for my sister's '03 Expy....150k and still going.

Also, my grandfather had a SD that was identical to my dad's....same year, engine, configuration, etc, and he didn't believe in regular flushes. His tranny went at 120k. It could just be coincidence, but my family's experience with doing regular tranny flushes has made a believer out of me.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:32 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The schedule does not call for the fluid to be flushed in all models of trans till 150k.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../04a04mg5e.pdf page 29.
BUT I will change mine on a 30k schedule.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
kenwowski
Senior User
good to know..thanks