1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Oh deer. What to do next?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh deer. What to do next?

Because I've come to rely on your guidance for my "54 you were the first group to cross my mind as I need some advice although on a newer model.

I was headed to the beach on vacation last Sunday evening and had a collision with a deer. It was pitch black dark on a divided 4 lane highway and he came up out of the grassy median. He was on me before I saw him and it's probably a good thing as I didn't even have time to instinctively hit the brakes. If so I would have probably hit him head on and had significantly more damage including possible airbag deployment. It was a BIG deer. It makes a big thud at 65mph. As such he smacked into me just behind the front driver's side wheel. As a result I have damage all down the driver's side of my truck. There is an actual crease in the front fender. It pinched the front door just a little but I can't see any dents. The back door has a small dent. The quarter panel has significant damage between the rear wheel and the bumper. And what surprised me the most is the bumper is twisted back and up. Will definitely need to replace that.

Do I report this to my insurance company? It's a 2001 F150, supercab, with @150K. It is in superb condition and I expect to get another 150k out of it. I still carry collision on it but wonder about the wisdom of filing a claim. Although the damage is moderate to minor I'm not sure they might not want to total it. (I drove it the rest of the way to the beach and home again...almost 500 miles with absolutely no issues). I've got 3 other vehicles (yes, they are all Ford Trucks!) on my policy and a 17 year old driver. I'm worried the rate increase from filing a claim will be more painful than an out of pocket repair. I don't know that for sure just thinking outloud.

The fender and bumper probably need to be replaced. The little 3rd door and quarter panel most likely can be repaired. It was time for a coat of paint anyway so I'll add that to the mix as well.

Should I report it and if so how do I describe to minimize the impact on my insurance. Again, I've come to value your counsel and would appreciate your thoughts.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Don't know what insurance you have, but Farm Bureau doesn't raise rates for animal hits. We have had several claims for such and never an increase.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Links_vette
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got state farm here in Nebraska, and deer on car/truck collisions are common place and unless you've got liability only it wont cover it but your Comp/Collision would (minus deductable).
I actually tried to run one over after missing my buck during the November firearms season.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:00 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Impact with an animal should be considered as Comprehensive and not Collision. Generally, comp losses do not affect your rates. However, every state and insurance policy is different. You can always opt out to close the claim without payment should you decide to report it.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not for sure in NC but here in Alabama Alfa Ins. does not go up on premiums due to deer hits. I should know! This year my wife hit two! Or should I say they hit her. One in the right front quarter panel then in the right rear panel about 6 weeks later! I too have a 17 year old on the policy and was really worried about an increase. Our agent said not to worry. So far no increase. Oh yeah and both times she didn't call the cops just our agent and they sent an adjuster out to take pics the following day.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Did you keep the deer and have fresh back strap ? It is the best stuffed with peppers ,onions and mushrooms on the BBQ .YUM !!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread