1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

gibbons I F S fans...new install help needed

Old 01-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Giesterfarher™
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh! I didn't realize you were running without a bed. That does make a difference.
I had an old 67 Dodge D100 with a 440/727 when I was 18. It was a toy, nothing more. I used it for burnouts more than anything else. My buddy talked me into trading it to him for a 68 Javelin, so he could chop the frame and stick it under a 37 Dodge coupe he had. Sounded like fun, so I did the deal, and helped him do the chop and swap. We dumped the bed and rear spring hangers off, moved the springs forward drilled and bolted it on, then cut the drive shaft to fit. Took about two hours. It looked so cool we HAD to take it out and drive it like that. The rear wheels where 16 inches from the back of the cab, LOL!
Now, before we did all this, the truck was like any other truck. It drove fine, tracked straight at any speed. No problem. But cutting the wheelbase by two feet turned it into a nightmare ride. 45 MPH and it was all over the road. Any bump sent it in random directions.
Now, all it was good for WAS doing donuts. In fact, it absolutely excelled at them now. You could straddle the yellow line on a two lane road facing north, mash the throttle, and the tires would instantly break loose. Turn the wheel to the left, the rear end would walk slowly to the right. Complete the circle, then turn the wheel to the right, and it would walk back through the same stripes you just made. We made 58 perfect, linked circles on Clear Creek Road off of I5 near Redding, Ca. before the left rear tire finally exploded.
The point of me telling you all this is, besides it being a fun memory, and I tend to ramble, lol, is when we put the Coupe chassis on the frame, it actually became a drivable, normal handling car.
To this day, I'm wary of driving anywhere near a pick up with no bed on it. I see a lot of them around. Usually guys with S10's and old Chevy's they're in the process of customizing.

Thanks! I will definitely keep you posted. Once I get the engine set in the frame, I'm going to start a build thread. For some reason projects just don't seem real for me until the engine is set. LOL!

Oh, that reminds me, were you able to get any pics of your engine mounts? No hurry, I still have other things to do.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:47 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe easier to describe the motor mounts. First of all when I mocked up the sbc engine in the engine bay the motor mounts lined up directly above and centered on the cross member. Some times Murphy must be sleeping or taking a break. So I bolted rectangular 1/8 or 3/16 plate to the base of the motor mount. The base plates were maybe 3.5 and 5, a little bigger than the base of the motor mount. Then welded the nuts to the back side of the base plate because those are concealed. Then boxed in all 4 sides between the base plate and cross member and boxed frame rail, tacking them in place. This was done at the same time I fabbed the cross member, shock and upper control are brackets, and strut brackets. Then I removed the engine and cab and proceeded to weld all the joints.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Giesterfarher™
Senior User
That sounds kinda like what the frame came with, though I'm sure they are for a sbf. I'm wondering if I can just make adapters and use the Ford mounts on the frame. They are pretty much lined up parallel and centered on the crossmember.

I made something similar for my 79 Scout when I put a SBC in that. It had mounts kinda like this.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:40 PM
CDDuncan
New User
I know this thread has been resurrected once already but why not again? I have a 51 that I am starting to work on that had a Cordoba ifs with the gibbons swapped in by a previous owner. I'm wondering if anyone has the instructions for the install still? The way the truck was halfway done on other things I would like to check everything out myself before I continue. Any help would be awesome.
​​

Old 03-29-2020, 01:32 AM
5wests
Senior User
Originally Posted by CDDuncan
I know this thread has been resurrected once already but why not again? I have a 51 that I am starting to work on that had a Cordoba ifs with the gibbons swapped in by a previous owner. I'm wondering if anyone has the instructions for the install still? The way the truck was halfway done on other things I would like to check everything out myself before I continue. Any help would be awesome.
​​

These are all I had to go on.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:47 AM
CDDuncan
New User
Thank you sir!!