2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best programmer for an 06 5.4l

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 PM
okstatef150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Johnson, Im in the market for a programmer and im real curious to hear about your results and what you think about yours?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:27 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by okstatef150
Mr. Johnson, Im in the market for a programmer and im real curious to hear about your results and what you think about yours?
well i have only had it in for about a week but so far i'm very impressed with how it works. it adds a noticeable amount of power as well as firmer shifting. also very easy to use. great customer service from mike at www.5startuning.com also

Old 06-06-2009, 04:12 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Still Smoking
Check out SCT X3 from Mike from 5startuning.com he is great to work with and great customer service. I recomend him to anyone. I was in your spot didnt know what to get and he contacted me. He is a member here. He asked me what I wanted it for and I told him. He came up with the 87 economy tune 91 performance tune and 91 tow tune. These have been great. The tow tune makes it feel like there your not pulling anything. The performance tune really makes the truck move now and the throttle is real touchy. Just tap the gas and your in the seat it feels like. Economy tune is also good and I have gotten a 1-2 mpg better. Check him out its worth the money.
hey i got the x3 from mike at 5 star and love it but it seems theres a bit of lag from around 1700 to 2800 rpm. this only happens when i apply part throttle; half throttle or so. if i floor the accelerator it doesnt have this lag problem. any thoughts? driver error? thanks

Old 06-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Well I never had this problem. Not sure if the shift settings would adjust this or not? Have you tried contacting Mike? Usually he will get right back with a way to fix or send you a revision. If you go half throttle let up and floor it does it still do it?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:06 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Well I never had this problem. Not sure if the shift settings would adjust this or not? Have you tried contacting Mike? Usually he will get right back with a way to fix or send you a revision. If you go half throttle let up and floor it does it still do it?
hey i got in contact with mike and he sent me a tune revision that basically solved the problem. thats sweet how easy it is to do that. also am very pleased with the customer service from mike. top-notch!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 AM
okstatef150
Junior User
Does that X3 come with the monitor like the Gryphon does?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Did he say what caused it? No it dont come with a monitor. It just a hand held you plug in download the tune and then unplug and go. Its really nice actually

Old 06-07-2009, 04:13 PM
okstatef150
Junior User
So you plug it in each time you want change to a different tune? Such as from econ to performance? Also, with the Gryphon, can you change settings on the monitor or do you have to plug it in every time as well?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Ya for the sct you have to plug it in every time. They gryphon is always plugged in cause thats how the monitor shows everything. But if you wana change settings for either one of them you got to make sure the truck is off change any settings you wana change press select or whatever it is on the gryphon turn the key let it download when its done turn the key off and your set. Well I know thats how the sct is im sure the gryphon is the same way

Old 06-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
I ordered a Superchips Flashpack 1815 from Strippermotorsports.com (866-706-7744) and the service was excellent! They beat everybody else by at least $40 at the time-also carry other brands and were very helpful on the phone responding to questions, etc. which was much more than the other retailers were even willing to do!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Thats how Mike from 5startuning is. The best I have ever seen from any company.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:08 PM
okstatef150
Junior User
My brother has a triple stage from Bully Dog for his powerstroke, I am fully aware that it is a different company and type of programmer, but it has the monitor and the hook up to download it to the pickup. once it is downloaded though, you can change the levels that you want it to be on, on the monitor. Is it possible that the Gryphon is that? could someone with that setup explain it to me?

Also, I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, just curiosity, but Still Smoking, do you get a commission from Mike over there at 5 Star?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I had a chance to tow with my SCT and the 93 octane tow tune this past weekend. I picked up a full 1 mpg and the shifting was really great. It was not hunting gears like it did stock and seemed to have a lot more power when I needed it. I may need to tweak it some, but overall I am very happy with it. I was able to run with my friend's 7.3L that is Banks Powered with no problems.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Did he say what caused it? No it dont come with a monitor. It just a hand held you plug in download the tune and then unplug and go. Its really nice actually
no, Still Smoking, Mike didn't say what caused it but im not worried. again i wanna say great service from mike at 5star!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Originally Posted by okstatef150
My brother has a triple stage from Bully Dog for his powerstroke, I am fully aware that it is a different company and type of programmer, but it has the monitor and the hook up to download it to the pickup. once it is downloaded though, you can change the levels that you want it to be on, on the monitor. Is it possible that the Gryphon is that? could someone with that setup explain it to me?

Also, I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, just curiosity, but Still Smoking, do you get a commission from Mike over there at 5 Star?
No I dont. I have never met him and I dont live along ways away from him. I know it sounds like it by the way I have been recommending him. Im just passing along the good buisness. Someone refered me to him off this site and he has been very helpful. When I was looking to buy a programmer I was really looking at the edge. Got talking to Mike and he recommended me to the x3 with custom tunes and he asked how I drive and he said 87 econ 91 tow 91 performance would be perfect and he was right. I had a couple issues that I didnt like so I gave him an email and he instantly wrote me one back with a revision of the tune. If you ask me thats great customer service. He is always been helpful. So since he has been helpful to me I like to be helpful to him by refering anyone to him thats in the market for a programmer. Just like to pass on the good work that he does. I wouldnt refer him if he wasnt good.

Quick Reply: best programmer for an 06 5.4l