1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Belt Size

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:25 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belt Size

Any one know what length of the serpentine belt should be for a 94.5 f350 DI 7.3? I am going nuts with this. I am seeing 119 7/8 for gates at rock auto and 20 1/8 from the Motorcraft web site. The one that came off the truck is part# F5tZ-8620-A that is the one that should be 20 1/8 but it measures 19.

I turned the tensioner all the way to the stop but the Gates just wont go on. Should it still be a tight fit????

Old 05-15-2009, 04:42 PM
yoslick
Elder User
I know mine was a real pain to install, make sure you trace it around each and every pulley, mine kept popping off one of them and I coudn't get it on to save my life, good flashlight and an hour later with a ton of cussing and I finally got it.... good luck

Oh as a side note, you didn't say if you had AC or not, supposedly theres 2 belt sizes, seems even if you don't have AC the idler they put in it's place is not the same size as the AC pulley, my parts guy figured that out, also there is several widths or grooves available as well.....

Slick

Old 05-15-2009, 06:53 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scatgo
Any one know what length of the serpentine belt should be for a 94.5 f350 DI 7.3? I am going nuts with this. I am seeing 119 7/8 for gates at rock auto and 20 1/8 from the Motorcraft web site. The one that came off the truck is part# F5tZ-8620-A that is the one that should be 20 1/8 but it measures 19.

I turned the tensioner all the way to the stop but the Gates just wont go on. Should it still be a tight fit????

Did you change the belt tensioner? the aftermarket has a longer arm
the mark of the belt length indicator must be between max and min.

<!--[endif]-->

Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
119 7/8 and 120 1/8 are the only sizes I see listed for a 7 rib belt.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:48 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by yoslick
I know mine was a real pain to install, make sure you trace it around each and every pulley, mine kept popping off one of them and I coudn't get it on to save my life, good flashlight and an hour later with a ton of cussing and I finally got it.... good luck

Oh as a side note, you didn't say if you had AC or not, supposedly theres 2 belt sizes, seems even if you don't have AC the idler they put in it's place is not the same size as the AC pulley, my parts guy figured that out, also there is several widths or grooves available as well.....

Slick
Yea It looks like I am just going to have to fight it on. I have the sticker on the shroud that shows how it goes on so I know I have that right. Checked it 5 times. And the groves have to go on a grooved pulley and the back of the belt on the smooth pulley. And they were all on good but it still looked like it was going to go on way to tight!

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Did you change the belt tensioner? the aftermarket has a longer arm
the mark of the belt length indicator must be between max and min.

<!--[endif]-->
Where is the belt length indicator? I did not change the tensioner but do you know the length of the longer arm?

Originally Posted by BlueMule
119 7/8 and 120 1/8 are the only sizes I see listed for a 7 rib belt.

Got the 7 rib. Going to look into the idler pulleys. Maybe someone put a larger one on by mistake. Ever since I got the truck I would hear a little squeaking after I started it then it would go away. May have been set up wrong.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Oversize
Laughing Gas
pm sent plus extra letters

Old 05-16-2009, 03:20 AM
Oversize
Laughing Gas
Sorry cant get you the number right now after all too faded to read in the dark even with a flashlight,... and it raining. but I tried.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:29 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Yes I do have AC. Thanks anyway Oversize. If anyone can come up with a number and or length that would be great.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:43 AM
yoslick
Elder User
Belt Numbers

Ok, just crawled under the hood and in the back box for ya, 39 degrees and windy as heck up here this morning in NW Wisc!! My new one installed is a NAPA 25-081189 my spare that I saved for a mishap on the road I believe is the original from 96 and it's a Motor Craft F6TE-8620-GA

I have AC so it should be the same as yours.......

Slick!!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Thanks...............

Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
That was real easy with the right belt. Had it on in about a minute. Held the tensioner with my left hand and slid it over the AC pully with my right. Thanks

Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is the belt length indicator? I did not change the tensioner but do you know the length of the longer arm?
you will see it from the top, its right on the round part where it pivots.

And I dont know the lenght of the longer arm, but I think is about a 1" longer but Im not sure.

<!--[endif]-->

Old 05-19-2009, 08:34 PM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the same belt I just bought for my 94.5 PSD and I can't get it on. Tried both the alt pulley and and the AC as my final stretch point. Guess I'm going to have to get a second set of hands and a pry bar of some sort

Any both have any other tips or means to pre-stretch a belt?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
If you can turn the pulley all the way to the stop it should go on easy. And you might want to measure the belt or at least match it to the old one. And make sure they sold you the right pulley not one that might be larger in diameter. I saw the parts book and there is a lot of room to screw this up.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:52 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was real easy with the right belt. Had it on in about a minute. Held the tensioner with my left hand and slid it over the AC pully with my right. Thanks

Well.............which one was "right"?

Quick Reply: Belt Size