1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you use the Tow/Haul mode?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:52 PM
sbark
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aldridgec
A jake brake is a brand name device internal to the engine made by Jacobs, generically known as compression release braking. By releasing the compressed air in the cylinder very near the top of the compression stroke, the air does not re expand to return energy to the piston as it moves back down. The vehicle motion pulls the piston down and sucks air into the cylinder and provides the energy to compress the air in the cylinder, thus slowing the vehicle without using the service brakes.
aldridgec.....Always wondered what that was. I knew it was on big tractors, but never knew for sure. Why are there signs in some places on the highway that say no jake brake?? Is it loud?? or something else??

Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 AM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
When was the tow/haul mode first implemented on the Super Duties?
I'm pretty sure this is right:

2003.25 6.0 Torqshift trans, 2005 for the rest of the engines
My 6.0 SD was an early '04 (actually 11/03 build date) and it had tow/haul mode.

Like somebody else said earlier, I too only used it when I was towing something approaching 10k or heavier. For lighter loads in the 4-6k range I found it to be more annoying than helpful. To each his own.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:06 AM
12ozd
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by sbark
aldridgec.....Always wondered what that was. I knew it was on big tractors, but never knew for sure. Why are there signs in some places on the highway that say no jake brake?? Is it loud?? or something else??

You are exactly right.

Some trucks are very loud.

You've heard it plenty of times,next time you see a truck slowing down,or descending a steep grade,pay attention,you'll get the noise.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FOUNTAIN 1
me too ! id never take it out if it wasnt for the braking
X3... I like the higher rpm's around town and run in Tow/Haul mode almost 100% of the time. I have the 5.4L engine with 4.10 gears.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
I am thinking 05 as before that it was just over drive lockout. The best thing about the tow haul is the braking and downshifting. It is similar to a engine slash jake brake or a exhaust brake on heavy trucks. These devices are also very popular with the SD diesel crowd. In 05 with the new t shift also came the tow haul mode. I wish one of these trany gurus would tell me how to shift the trany from fifth to fourth as if u move the lever it goes all the way to third. Five speed gear box but only four gear selection positions. Ford is way behind GM in this respect. The 5 speed torqueshift is a out dated dinosaur imho.
I agree that this is a deficiency in the Torqshift transmission. I would love to have access to ALL five gears using the column shifter. There are many time that I would like to keep the transmission in 4th gear but am not able to because of the electronic controls.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:24 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Furian
I agree that this is a deficiency in the Torqshift transmission. I would love to have access to ALL five gears using the column shifter. There are many time that I would like to keep the transmission in 4th gear but am not able to because of the electronic controls.
Hi Furian
Because of its electronic controls we have developed tunes to either stay in 4th and or stay in 4th and shift into 5th at a certain mph. Ex. Mmaxed in V10 section is running a tune for towing that stays in 4th and shifts into 5th at a certain mph..

Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by fordmdb
Hi Furian
Because of its electronic controls we have developed tunes to either stay in 4th and or stay in 4th and shift into 5th at a certain mph. Ex. Mmaxed in V10 section is running a tune for towing that stays in 4th and shifts into 5th at a certain mph..
Hey Mike,

I've been meaning to contact you on the Livewire that I purchased back in November. Is there any documentation of the meaning & significance of the various settings of the Livewire? Also, will my Livewire provide the feature mentioned above? I've uploaded the 93-octane "performance" tune but did not change any of the settings. Finally, I get an "error" message when I try to review any stored codes. I'll send an email so you can respond that way if you prefer.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:59 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
When was the tow/haul mode first implemented on the Super Duties?
Short answer to this is, the Torqshift ALWAYS had tow/haul mode. Still does. Hopefully always will.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:16 PM
63DH8
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy
I use it anytime I tow and when I want to pretend that giant lead box is a sports car. lol

You mean "haul" isn't for "haul @ss"?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
akford351
Posting Guru
I use it when I haul stuff around but really don't like the way it brakes... usually flick it off when I'm gonna stop.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:53 PM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
I am thinking 05 as before that it was just over drive lockout. The best thing about the tow haul is the braking and downshifting. It is similar to a engine slash jake brake or a exhaust brake on heavy trucks. These devices are also very popular with the SD diesel crowd. In 05 with the new t shift also came the tow haul mode. I wish one of these trany gurus would tell me how to shift the trany from fifth to fourth as if u move the lever it goes all the way to third. Five speed gear box but only four gear selection positions. Ford is way behind GM in this respect. The 5 speed torqueshift is a out dated dinosaur imho.
If you want to get technical, it is a 6 speed transmission.

The“TorqShift” (5R110W) is a 5 speed,rear wheel drive unit that actually has six forward speeds available,depending on hot or cold mode operation. The gear ratio for 1st gear was lowered from 2.71 to 3.09 (compared to a 4R100). For 2nd gear the overdrive clutch is applied to provide a ratio of 2.20. 3rd gear provides a ratio of 1.54, which is the same ratio as the previous second gear. All sound familiar? When in cold mode operation, below _15°C(5°F), determined by the TFT sensor, the overdrive clutch is engaged in 3rd gear to provide a ratio of 1.09 for 4th gear, and the transmission will shift directly into 6th gear (overdrive), which is a ratio of 0.71. In cold mode the transmission shifts 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 4th gear, 6th gear.When in hot mode the transmission will shift 1st gear, 2nd gear,3rd gear, 5th gear (ratio 1.00), 6th gear. Either way it is still a five speed unit with six forward gear ratios available, depending on cold mode or hot mode of operation.

I always thought that there was no 4th gear manual selection because the transmission actually uses 4th or 5th, depending on whether or not it is in hot or cold mode.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by wizardsr
I would likely destroy the trans faster by chipping it as the trans would generate alot more heat staying in overdrive more.
In my opinion a chip is a good way to destroy a transmission.

2003.25 6.0 Torqshift trans, 2005 for the rest of the engines
That is correct.

I've never really understood why Ford limits the range selector to 1 less position than you have gears. On the older trucks the od could be turned off by the switch and the other 3 gears by manual selection.
I can answer this in one word: Cost. It cost more to add the additional position on the shifter and they didn't want to spend the money.

Originally Posted by redford
I always thought that there was no 4th gear manual selection because the transmission actually uses 4th or 5th, depending on whether or not it is in hot or cold mode.
Nope. It was cost, plain and simple.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Big
Mark seems to know what he is talking about, but I wonder why he is a former transmission engineer? ;>)
Because I didn't want to work there anymore. I wasn't having fun, so when they offered me a buyout, I took the money and ran. I'm in a MUCH better position now.

Originally Posted by Big
By the way, Mark, you know Mike Isaacs? Last I knew he was in transmissions at Ford.
The name sounds familiar, but I can't place him.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I can answer this in one word: Cost. It cost more to add the additional position on the shifter and they didn't want to spend the money.

Nope. It was cost, plain and simple.
Isn't that usually the case when it comes to such things.... glove box lamps, fender liners....

Old 05-15-2009, 11:00 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
In my opinion a chip is a good way to destroy a transmission.
Thanks Mark. What about towing something heavy without being in tow/haul for the sake of less down shifting at cruising speeds. How much heat does the trans generate in overdrive towing heavy, and should I keep it in tow/haul when towing for the sake of the tranny's life span? Or is the difference minimal?

Quick Reply: When do you use the Tow/Haul mode?