Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF-5 transmsission swap questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 PM
snipAR-15
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZF-5 transmsission swap questions.

Hey there. I have a 1996 ford f150 as described in my signature. It has the mazda M5OD transmission. I am thinking that it is getting ready to take a shi- ,i mean poop. I really don't feel like rebuilding it. I've read from quite a few forums that it is not really worth it. So, on to the zf. The zf that came behind f250s, is this a bolt on transmission. What I mean, is will it just bolt on to the factory crossmember with no cutting and welding? I've read that any ZF from the 302, 351, or of course the 300, which I have, will bolt right in. Am I overlooking anything? Also If anyone has links to referrences that would also be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:00 AM
BigSix1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by snipAR-15
Hey there. I have a 1996 ford f150 as described in my signature. It has the mazda M5OD transmission. I am thinking that it is getting ready to take a shi- ,i mean poop. I really don't feel like rebuilding it. I've read from quite a few forums that it is not really worth it. So, on to the zf. The zf that came behind f250s, is this a bolt on transmission. What I mean, is will it just bolt on to the factory crossmember with no cutting and welding? I've read that any ZF from the 302, 351, or of course the 300, which I have, will bolt right in. Am I overlooking anything? Also If anyone has links to referrences that would also be greatly appreciated.
Possibly--you may be "overlooking" the fact that you will in effect wind up with a FOUR-speed. The ZF has a "creeper" first gear, which you probably will not use in normal driving. I love to shift, so this would be a downer for me, personally.

I would consider a junkyard M5OD swap.

Why do you feel your current tranny is about to die? They often leak fluid from the top, for example, which is a relatively easy fix (or so I'm told-I just top mine up every 6 months.)

BigSix

Old 05-14-2009, 08:37 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
The ZF is shorter than the M5OD and also uses a flange instead of a slip yoke, so you will need to replace or modify your driveshaft. BigSix1 is right, you are trading a 5-speed for a 4-speed with a granny low. That low gear comes in handy sometimes, tho.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:25 PM
snipAR-15
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigSix1
Possibly--you may be "overlooking" the fact that you will in effect wind up with a FOUR-speed. The ZF has a "creeper" first gear, which you probably will not use in normal driving. I love to shift, so this would be a downer for me, personally.

I would consider a junkyard M5OD swap.

Why do you feel your current tranny is about to die? They often leak fluid from the top, for example, which is a relatively easy fix (or so I'm told-I just top mine up every 6 months.)

BigSix
Im thinking that the shift forks are going to need replaced. The first second gear fork makes shifting really hard between the two gears. I hope its not going to poop out soon, but I would like to do the zf swap eventually. If you have more info on the leaky-ness, I would really like that.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, its a 4x4.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 PM
BigSix1
More Turbo
Im thinking that the shift forks are going to need replaced. The first second gear fork makes shifting really hard between the two gears. I hope its not going to poop out soon, but I would like to do the zf swap eventually. If you have more info on the leaky-ness, I would really like that.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, its a 4x4.
While I've had the shifter assy. out of it, once, to replace a plastic thing that would no longer allow shifts into reverse, I didn't know about the leak deal at the time. Do a search here, as I can't quite remember, but there's a boot or other rubber seal-type item up near the top of the trans, which I read gets holed and leaks. My M5OD has a thin, slow drip down the one side, from the top, so I figure I've got that problem.

Hopefully someone more familiar will explain it in more detail....

BigSix

Old 05-15-2009, 12:05 AM
snipAR-15
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigSix1
While I've had the shifter assy. out of it, once, to replace a plastic thing that would no longer allow shifts into reverse, I didn't know about the leak deal at the time. Do a search here, as I can't quite remember, but there's a boot or other rubber seal-type item up near the top of the trans, which I read gets holed and leaks. My M5OD has a thin, slow drip down the one side, from the top, so I figure I've got that problem.

Hopefully someone more familiar will explain it in more detail....

BigSix
Still, that you for all your help.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:53 AM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The ZF will need its own crossmember, I dont know about driveshaft lengths. it will bolt right up to your transfer case and engine, if you get the small block, 4x4 version. But plan on spending about $7-800 for a used one.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:29 AM
nighthawk285
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hhhhmmmmm you sure about that Rebel? When I did my swap, the crossmember for M5ODs and ZF-5 trannies was the same, its stamped right into the bottom of the crossmember. ZF M5OD 4X4 4.9/5.0/5.8. And just make sure that you get one that came out of a 4X4 and it'll match right up to your transfer case as well.

Drive shaft lengths I couldn't really tell you as for comparison to the M5OD, when I did my swap it was from an AOD to a ZF, but I can measure mine for you if you would like so you can see what you need there.

As for the tranny swap, when I went through and did mine, used ZFs and M5ODs are generally the same price, if maybe only separated by $100. Yeah, you probably don't do the heavy towing and all that with an F150, but if you can get the extra strength for the same price, why not?

That "creeper" gear is useful for more than just towing in granny; you can just put it in 1st and let the truck drive across a field while you walk beside and feed cows out of it, the extra low ratio is handy for getting up steep hills and its really nice not burning up the clutch....

As far as gear ratios go, depending on what ZF-5 you get, the ratios are different. These are the ratio specs for the trannys, and with the close-ratio trans, it really isn't THAT much different than the M5OD.

M5OD Ratios:
1st: 3.35
2nd: 1.93
3rd: 1.29
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.68

ZF S5-42 Close Ratio Trans:
R: 3.79

1: 4.14
2: 2.37
3: 1.42
4: 1.00
5: 0.77

ZF S5-42 Wide Ratio Trans:
R: 5.24

1: 5.72
2: 2.94
3: 1.61
5: 0.76

I love the ZF that I put in, and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:55 AM
BigSix1
More Turbo
Still, thank you for all your help.
You're welcome--anything for a guy named "snipAR-15," right?

Originally Posted by nighthawk285
hhhhmmmmm you sure about that Rebel? When I did my swap, the crossmember for M5ODs and ZF-5 trannies was the same, its stamped right into the bottom of the crossmember. ZF M5OD 4X4 4.9/5.0/5.8. And just make sure that you get one that came out of a 4X4 and it'll match right up to your transfer case as well.

Drive shaft lengths I couldn't really tell you as for comparison to the M5OD, when I did my swap it was from an AOD to a ZF, but I can measure mine for you if you would like so you can see what you need there.

As for the tranny swap, when I went through and did mine, used ZFs and M5ODs are generally the same price, if maybe only separated by $100. Yeah, you probably don't do the heavy towing and all that with an F150, but if you can get the extra strength for the same price, why not?

That "creeper" gear is useful for more than just towing in granny; you can just put it in 1st and let the truck drive across a field while you walk beside and feed cows out of it, the extra low ratio is handy for getting up steep hills and its really nice not burning up the clutch....

As far as gear ratios go, depending on what ZF-5 you get, the ratios are different. These are the ratio specs for the trannys, and with the close-ratio trans, it really isn't THAT much different than the M5OD.

M5OD Ratios:
1st: 3.35
2nd: 1.93
3rd: 1.29
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.68

ZF S5-42 Close Ratio Trans:
R: 3.79

1: 4.14
2: 2.37
3: 1.42
5: 0.77

ZF S5-42 Wide Ratio Trans:
R: 5.24

1: 5.72
2: 2.94
3: 1.61
5: 0.76

I love the ZF that I put in, and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Nick,

Thanks for the tables. But shouldn't one of the ZF's have a different model number?

I ask because I want to know which one I have--and where are the numbers located? Is there a tag on the tranny? Or a stamping?

However, while the "creeper" is useful, presumably the OP has Low Range already, so, if he needed to creep, he's got the capability, unlike if he had a 2x4. I guess it'll really creep in "Lo Lo," though, huh? LOL I do enjoy that when in a tight spot and you're right, a creeper and/or Low Range definitely conserve the clutch.

Thanks.

BigSix

Old 05-15-2009, 08:22 AM
rostena
Senior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...azda-m5r2.html

This link should provide you with most of the info you need on this swap.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
well the thing is while the zf is technically a 4 speed with granny or LOW gear its 5th isnt far off of the OD on the M5OD so it shouldn't be too noticeable on the highway but where you will notice it is in the low gears since 4th is the same in all of em, with a zf you will definitely have to take off in 2nd which will eliminate one shift and you would have to remember it will shift quite differently in the low gears

if i remember correctly to go from a m5OD to a ZF is a straight bolt on? but you will likely need to get the drive shafts out of the donor if you can which isnt a bad thing if its a f350 donor then you will get the added strength of the ZF and the drive shafts

Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Being that my F350 has a ZF, I will concur that 1st gear is essentially useless unless you spend hours in 3 mph bumper to bumper commuter traffic, or two really heavy loads that probably exceed the towing capacity of your F150.

This might be more reasonable if you change your rear axle ratio to low 3's at a mininum, then you might actually get to use all five gears, assuming you do 80-something on the freeway

The ZF is good for torque engines with a decent low-end. I300 would be okay, certainly the 351 and the 460. The 302, well, I personally don't believe it's a good match because the 302 makes more power in the higher rpm ranges as compared to the other engines, and has less down low.

Personal preference of course.

BTW, every so often you see rebuilt mazda trannies in the <$600 range on ebay.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:04 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
yeah i agree with that frederic i think its a good match with a 300 because if you thought you could pull with it when it had a M5OD wait till you hook up to a load with that zf

Old 05-15-2009, 10:24 PM
johnboy427
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know what some of these guys are talking about, with new crossmembers and drive shafts, mabey for the 2x4s? I did this swap on my 89 Bronco and you will never miss that POS M5 once you have driven a 300 with a ZF, taking off in second with 3:55 rear gear is no sweat and first is great at the boat ramp. When I did my swap I changed nothing but the tranny. Clutch and starter worked fine, replaced the slave but they looked to be the same on both trannys (I bought one for the F350 my tranny was out of), heck even the two wiring harnesses coming out of the tranny just plugged right in. Your transfer case will bolt right up too, drive shaft length was unchanged. Just be sure to get a ZF with the shifter I hear they are hard to find. The junk yard I went to gave me $150 for my M5 because they said most break cases when they fail so the core buyers pay good money for them, I paid $500 after trading in my M5 but that has been four years ago.
-Johnboy

Old 05-15-2009, 10:40 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
i knew i shouldnt have looked at this topic...it got the gears turning and now i want a zf! hahahaha oh well ill get one sooner or later

Quick Reply: ZF-5 transmsission swap questions.