Louisiana Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: rbloodhound

Jobs....

Old 05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jobs....

Well, I have been workin the same place for the last 4.5 years durin summers and breaks as a co-op and intern. Called up my boss today, they are no longer allowed to hire interns durin summer, co-ops are cancelled, they are terminating all the temps, and firing full time positions.

My roomates internship that he has had for a few years called him up a few weeks ago and let him know they couldn't bring him back this year. Same thing with both of my neighbors.

Have had two good friends graduating in engineering next week call me up looking for work because the jobs they had lined up are not able to hire those positions.

All of us work in some form of the oil industry, roomate as an ME intern in a nat gas plant, I was working at a valve shop supplying the plants/refineries, neighbors built rigs and pipelines, graduating friends were lined up with Exxon and Shell

I may be able to keep my job with a transfer to the machine shop now that I have some very limited lathe experience from school projects, but that is doubtful at best. :/

Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 PM
06F150STX
Elder User
sorry to hear that man. I live in Quitman, just a tad south of Ruston and work at Steel Fabricators of Monroe, and we are hiring now for people in the shops. We build pipe racks for oil refineries and just stated on a new job, building a oil derrick thats going to japan. all we do, is fab the peices and ship them to the job site where they then get errected.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
I take it that y'all need welders? I have zero weld experience :/

only some slight lathe experience and was certed at my last job for using the oxy-acetalene torch

I am hopin that I can get wind of something in the next few days, gonna be looking for work either in Baton Rouge area or within 45 miles of Ruston since I have an apartment up here. (I was working in Baton Rouge during my breaks/summer)

Old 05-15-2009, 09:51 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:03 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
got a call today, my job may have found a position to stick me in for the summer to keep me on. Will be same pay, vs. my usual yearly pay raise, and little to no overtime, which sucks, but I'll live with cause it is better than no job. Will know for sure this coming week sometime.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:04 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Hang in there man. Its starting to turn already. Pipe line work is picking up, and as soon as some Haynesville shale wells go low pressure and need compression, orders will start comming. Its been slow in the compressor business but we have not had any layoffs in our department. Watch the nat gas prices in Aug, they all come up on 1 year tender for renewal. I think all the players are taking a wait and see position. It very well could be gang busters by the end of the 3rd quarter.