3.2L Power Stroke The 5 cylinder 3.2 Power Stroke engine fitted to the 2014+ Ford Transit, and new Ford Ranger. Called the 3.2L Duratorq TDCi

2011 Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:08 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I l ike the ground clearance of the mule in the photo, but I hope that Ford doesn't get too stupid on the angular designs like GM and Toy did. I'm more curious to see what's going to power the little devil and if this will all evolve into a mid sized truck like Truck Trend had alluded to.

Tim

Old 05-31-2009, 08:33 PM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that eco-boost engine in that one would be pretty neat.

Or a good sized 4 cyl diesel would be nice.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Kalve
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good still say Ford should have never came out with the Ranger in the first place an just kept the F100 as a small truck what the Ranger is now an use the Ranger & Explorer names as options on the trucks. It would have been so much better if they would have did it like that an put all of them built on the same platform & frame an put all the parts interchangeable would have been nice to.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I don't agree. The ranger/explorer has been a money maker for ford, especially the ranger. I have had 3 rangers, 83, 86, 88 and a 92. The 86 sucked but it was mainly the crappy 2.8 carbed engine. There needs to be a small pickup because a lot people don't need a full sized.

I do agree ford should do a better job of parts interchangability like chevy does.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
fakebakn3
New User
Talking

I think you lost count... hahaha... just kidding man...
Originally Posted by wildstang
I don't agree. The ranger/explorer has been a money maker for ford, especially the ranger. I have had 3 rangers, 83, 86, 88 and a 92. The 86 sucked but it was mainly the crappy 2.8 carbed engine. There needs to be a small pickup because a lot people don't need a full sized.

I do agree ford should do a better job of parts interchangability like chevy does.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:08 PM
kikkin_wing
New User
I know you guys have already mentioned this but I must say my peace. Diesel, diesel, diesel. Every ignorant person out in this world always associates the name diesel to bad emissions..... True but not true. Diesel vehicles have become tremendously more friendly when it comes to emmisions from what they used to be. I wish people would THINK. Look at VW..... diesel powered cars that exceed the well known gas saving Toyota's hybrid Prius!!!! A hydrid!!! When you put a motor with great and tremendous power into a light vehicle, the work the motor has to do to move that vehicle drops below the floor, hence more fuel efficiency and reserved and usable power!!!! Globalize the Ford Ranger for almighty's sake, and put a diesel in it as well!! I promise you, I will have one the next day!!!!! Give us the rumored Ranger Max. People like myself want a truck that looks good and out performs the competion when it comes fuel efficiency, utility capability, and style. Cmon Ford look at us..... we love your products and we all have great ideas, listen to us. Give us the truck that will destroy a Chevy Colorado, will make lunch out of Toyota's legendary reputation for fuel savers. I can almost promise that if a diesel is put into this "Globalized Ranger Max", you can silence alot of makers with just that, a new powertrain.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:50 AM
valdor
Senior User
3.7 in the Ranger

Does anyone have new info on the 2012 Ranger/T6? Things seem to have dried up... Also i read that Ford will introduce their 3.7l V6 in the F150 as base engine. I'd love em to offer that as premium engine in the Ranger so we can stick it to Toy and Nissan...

Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I've read that the 3.7 will show up in the Ranger. If it pulls the F-150, the Ranger should scream.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:16 AM
valdor
Senior User

Yeah that will push the Ranger nicely... Read figures of around 300hp and 280 tq. Not to bad will be the rumoured 3.2 5cyl diesel at 200hp and 350tq (guess for us outside the states.) Hiyo Silver

Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM
kjstanger
Junior User
Interesting truck, can't wait to see the end product.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Hate to dash everyone's hopes but Ford has announced to dealers that there is no planned update or replacement for the Ranger platform for the North America market due to increased fuel mileage and comparable base prices of the F150. The 3.7L Ti-VCT V6 at 302 hp and 276 tq. will be the base engine for standard cab XL, STX, and 4x2 XLTs. Other engines will be the 5.0L V8 rated at 360hp and 380 tq, the 6.2L at 411hp and 434 tq which will be standard on the Raptor, Harley Davidson, and available with the Max Trailer Tow package on the Platinum and Lariat Limited. Ecoboost 3.5L will be available in everything but the STX series with hp and tq to be determined.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:52 AM
kjstanger
Junior User
So, does this mean that Ford is going to end production of the Ranger and is not going to or is considering doing away with the mid-sized truck? There are two sides of the coin here, with pricing and options the F150 offers is there really a need for a mid-sized truck. Flip side, there are a lot of people who need trucks but don't really need a full size pickup, that is where the Ranger really picked up the slack, IMO. Who knows, maybe Ford has something up theirs sleeves and maybe not, never the less, I am going to miss the Ranger, if it dissapears. The Ranger was my first truck back in 85', been a truck man ever since.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Level2
Hate to dash everyone's hopes but Ford has announced to dealers that there is no planned update or replacement for the Ranger platform for the North America market due to increased fuel mileage and comparable base prices of the F150. The 3.7L Ti-VCT V6 at 302 hp and 276 tq. will be the base engine for standard cab XL, STX, and 4x2 XLTs. Other engines will be the 5.0L V8 rated at 360hp and 380 tq, the 6.2L at 411hp and 434 tq which will be standard on the Raptor, Harley Davidson, and available with the Max Trailer Tow package on the Platinum and Lariat Limited. Ecoboost 3.5L will be available in everything but the STX series with hp and tq to be determined.
My BIL (who is a design engineer at Ford SVO, Dearborn) told me the same thing. The Ranger will become a stranger (little poetry there) to the North American market after 2011. Reason is, there is too much model overlap and sales of Rangers is steadily declining. He oughtta know.... and the Transit production will be moverd from Turkey to the Michigan Truck Plant in Wayne. He believes Turkey will still produce Transits for Europe but the domestic ones will be built at Wayne Assembly. The Transit will share a platform with another model.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
The Ranger will live on in other markets.....just not in N.A. And no plans for a midsize or compact replacement.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Level2
The Ranger will live on in other markets.....just not in N.A. And no plans for a midsize or compact replacement.
Looking at the EPA estimates for the F-150 with the 3.7L, why get a Ranger? GM is planning to cancel the Colorado and it's twin in the next year or so. Not sure if a replacement is on tap or not.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ranger