New Electric Brake Control Giving Me Fits

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:30 PM
dixie217
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Electric Brake Control Giving Me Fits

I've checked the other posts, but they don't seem to answer my question. Here's my problem: I have a 2002 F-350 4x4 with the towing package, but it didn't have an electric brake control in it. I bought a BrakeForce universal electric brake this weekend, wired it up and hooked it up to my horse trailer for the first time. When I plug in my horse trailer, the brakes on the trailer lock up and won't release. I'm almost positive I have the brake controller wired to the truck correctly. Here's how it's hooked up: white on truck harness (ground)to white on control (ground)/ red on truck harness (hot) to black on control (hot)/ blue on truck harness (power brake control) to blue on control (power brake control)/ green on truck harness (cold lamp side) to red on controller (cold lamp side). There is an extra brown wire on the truck harness that says it's for illumination. There is a double-plug at the back of the truck - the six-pin for the horse trailer and a 4-pin for a boat trailer. There is a pigtail where the wires split off to go to each plug. I've unplugged the pigtail and tested the wires before the pigtail. Here's what the tests showed: orange-12v; brake-orange, green, & yellow wires; running lights-brown w/white striped wire; hazard-green & yellow wires; right turn signal-green wire; left turn signal-yellow wire; reverse-orange, yellow, green and brown with white striped wires. There are also 2 black and 1 blue wire in that harness that didn't light up for anything. Wires going to the boat plug-in are green, yellow, white, and brown with white stripe. I can't see what wires are going into the horse trailer plug-in because they are totally covered. I need to get another roll of electrical tape before I uncover these wires. Also, when I hit the brake (with or without the trailer hooked up) I get an orange light on my brake controller, no green or red light. I think the controller works because the trailer brakes stay engaged when it is plugged in. The trailer wiring is good because it worked with at least 3 other trucks (2 Fords and a Chevy). Any ideas on what could be wrong? By now, I'm thinking it's got to be in the wiring from the wiring harness under the dash to the plug at the back, but I have no idea where to start.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You have the wrong six pin pin-out. You need to swap the 12v lead and the brake lead at the plug, on either the trailer or the truck. I'm talking the plug at the back of the truck at the hitch, not under the dash. Its a very easy 5 minute fix. But beware if you have other six pin trailers around the property... if they work now they won't when you swap that wire. You have to make all of them the same so it works with all.

There are two standards for six pin connectors. Four of the pins are the same on both, but the 12v and brake wires are different. So just switch the two wires and you're all set.

This is a very common issue. Its one big reason why they swapped the six pin standard(s) to the 7 pin RV connector.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:43 PM
dixie217
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I swap it before the pigtail or at the plug at the end of the pigtail?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whichever, same difference. Whichever is easier and prettier.