1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Front sheet metal alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:16 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front sheet metal alignment

Ok- I've got my new front cab mounts welded on, all new rubbers, and lower retainers. I have new mounts and bushings under the radiator yoke. I'm nearly ready to set the hood on and start aligning. question; is it ok to level the frame with the level as far forward as the frame horns? Do i need to have the rear on jackstands too? How tight are the nuts on the radiator support bushings? ie. how smashed are the rubber isolators? I know i must level the rad support as well and need to know when to quit tightening. Thanks folks.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you will find that things will be easier all the way thru this process if you raise the whole vehicle, at least high enough to lay on a creeper and roll from side to side.You and your elbows will appreciate the room when leveling the frame to start,again when working around the gravel pan to fender area,again at the fender to cowl..and just for good measure..if you decide to make adjustments to the running boards.I like using a 4 ft level at the bottom of the frame..from front to rear,between the wheels.Then side-to-side across the front frame horns and across the rear..shim as needed.Good Luck!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:03 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for your response, Chris. I will put the whole thing on stands. I hope noone minds that I bump this tired topic back to the top, but I am ready to re-assemble, and seeing how the radiator support and cab mounts are squares #1 & 2 in that process, and seeings how I KNOW there are folks on here who know the answer to my support mount question (how tite?), well here it is again... Please help.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:22 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Tighten them tight with a standard 3/8" ratchet, that gives about the right torque for 5/16" bolts. The fabric/rubber pads will not squish down flat like solid rubber might. If you need to adjust the support, you'll likely have to use shims. Replacing the pads is mostly to set the support at the right height.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:10 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
One thing to keep in mind - the original setup was supposed to move so the front end - body - bed wouldn't get mangled from the roads - fields - ditches - construction sites where they were built to roam. You could most likely mount the front end solid and not greate any issues unless you went on an agricultural excursion.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Fellas.