Firestone Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestone Tires

Does anyone run Firestone Tires?

The Ranger is rolling on orange rinds right now. The Goodyear Wranglers have about 50k on them and are getting dangerous for too many reasons. One of the tires that got my attention was the Firestone Destination LE.

What do you all think about these things?

I know so many people that swear off on buying Firestone’s that I’m a little cold footed.

The Wranglers were fine for my driving and I’m looking for about the same type of a tire in the same price range. I drive mostly highway and only do a little off road like on old fire roads. I have a 4wd and will be buying the 235-75-15 size.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:12 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
Firestone was OE on Rangers until the tread separation fiasco ... it was the "Wilderness AT" series that was used. I think the "Destination" series is the same ... Firestone was just trying to get away from the stigma of the old name.

That said ... I'd be that Firestone tire will perform much better on your Ranger than the GY Wrangler did!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:45 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Ford gave me a set of Goodyear RTS's in place of the Wilderness AT's--themselves nearly new courtesy of Firestone.

Could not tell the difference for road/freeway use. Had it in some ice once, was OK. Sand once, it was ok. Backyard a couple times, OK....

Old 05-13-2009, 12:07 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
I was very happy with the Destination series tires I used on my Jeep (I know, I know, not a Ford...). They rode well, good grip in all sorts of conditions from pavement to snow to construction site mud to gravel/light offroad duty. I wished I could have yanked those tires off before the Jeep was sent to the scrap heap (floors rotted out and the engine blew) to put on the Explorer...they did not have a ton of miles on them and still looked like new and the two vehicles ran the same size tires/rims.

My 99 Ranger had the Wilderness AT's...got them replaced with Goodyears and I was NOT happy with the Goodyear. Didn't last, and just never had the confidence in them.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 AM
sfcwoodret
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firestones are now much improved and ready for the challenge. You can get a set for a decent price and they are once again a good tire.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:20 PM
white cat
Junior User
Originally Posted by Flexfuel-Dave
Does anyone run Firestone Tires?

The Ranger is rolling on orange rinds right now. The Goodyear Wranglers have about 50k on them and are getting dangerous for too many reasons. One of the tires that got my attention was the Firestone Destination LE.

What do you all think about these things?

I know so many people that swear off on buying Firestone’s that I’m a little cold footed.

The Wranglers were fine for my driving and I’m looking for about the same type of a tire in the same price range. I drive mostly highway and only do a little off road like on old fire roads. I have a 4wd and will be buying the 235-75-15 size.

Thanks!
I am running the Firestone A/T 225/70/15 on my 2002 ranger and am very happy with them. I picked them over the LE because of the all terrain tread I drive a lot of dirt roads' when fishing the sierra's. They are quiet on the hwy.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I just replaced my 99's OEM Firestone Wilderness HT's, which had about 65K miles on them, with the same 225/70-15 100S size & service grade Michelin LTX-M&S that I got from Tire Rack on special for $74 ea.

They did well in light snow this past winter & the ride & handeling in the mountains towing & highway running is very quiet & were steady in some strong cross winds, so they have proven themselves worthy of a special mention. Didn't take much weight to get them balanced either, a lot less then the OEM Firestones.

The OEM Firestone Wilderness HT's were ok, quiet on the highway & lasted well, but unremarkable otherwise. Their wet grip was poor & on rain slick roads I had to be careful.

You might consider reading some owner comments on Tire Rack of any tire your considering.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:09 PM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've been running the firestone destination a/t's for about 18k miles. as the other poster said they are very smooth and quiet on the highway. they are also wearing very well. good grip in the snow and excellent in the rain.
can highly recommend.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:39 PM
cracked block
Mountain Pass
Got 97K on the original firestones on my 2000 ranger. Was so impressed I got 4 more. But needless to say, they don't make that tire anymore!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
mistrtoad
Junior User
Originally Posted by 97ranger xlt
i've been running the firestone destination a/t's for about 18k miles. as the other poster said they are very smooth and quiet on the highway. they are also wearing very well. good grip in the snow and excellent in the rain.
can highly recommend.
I have about 35,000 miles on my Destination A/Ts. They are NOT anything like the Wilderness line--it's a much newer technology. They benefit from the Bridgestone UNI-T design and they are AMAZINGLY quiet. And they've gotten no noisier as they've worn (which is not much). Very good, responsive handling, good compliance. Fantastic wet grip.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
Made a decision this morning!

I had both these and the General Grabber HTS in mind.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r+H%2FT-S+G051

Thanks for all of the input guys!

Old 05-16-2009, 12:27 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

The Yokos are the ones I run on the Explorer. At first I wasn't sure I made a good choice for snow driving but it was a little bit of me needing to adapt to ControlTrac a little. I am much more used to a 4x4 system where it's either in 4 or out of 4, not one that throws itself in automatically. They've been a good tire for me but if I do any amount of off-road stuff, I'll want something more aggressive eventually.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
Originally Posted by liftnw8z
The Yokos are the ones I run on the Explorer...............
They've been a good tire for me but if I do any amount of off-road stuff, I'll want something more aggressive eventually.
I do mostly highway driving. The very few miles I drive during the year out on rural fire roads and the like didn't warrant a more agressive offroad type of tire.

In comparison with the other tires, these Yokos had a stronger sidewall and are a 60k mile tire.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Right now, I'm in the same boat...a lot of highway miles and they are great for that, no question. But when I get back into being on a lot of construction sites and stuff like that where it's very muddy and access is not just "fire road" type access, I'll need more. Got it stuck at a mine site last year because the Yokos couldn't handle the mud I was in...that was embarassing...lol.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I ran the LE's on my 94 got almost 70000 out of them, got michelins on sale at sears the last time. Had no problems with the firestons, also have run some other brands, keep rotated, balance, air up in them they will all pretty much last 50000.

Quick Reply: Firestone Tires