Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

gear vendor

Old 05-11-2009, 03:43 PM
u.f.o
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gear vendor

I got a gear vendor overdrive from a donour truck, the guy said it needed a solenoid one terminal broke off. I installed in my i fixed the terminal and i have power to both sides now but does not seem to shift and my speedo doesnt work ( speedo didnt work in donour truck ] anybody have any ideas?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What year is your truck?
2 wheel or 4x4 drive?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:32 AM
u.f.o
Senior User
Its a 87 f250 2wd Dave , its behind a t-19

ufo

Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 AM
RLDSL
Senior User
Do you hear the solenoid click when power applied? if so, may need to put new orings in it. There are a couple of orings on the outside of the solenoid and then there are some really tiny ones inside that stem it coimes apart. replace all of them and you will be able to build pressure
Going by original laycock , there is a speedo cable outlet on the tail , did you connect to that amd I
m not sure how the gv goes from there but I think the cable goes to a box, then the speedo. If cable is intact internally, need to check where it screws in to see if stripped.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:02 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
There is also a a piece that goes in the speedometer cable. It's round on the ends for the cable to screw onto, larger in the center and has 2 wires coming out of it. It sends an electronic speed signal to the box. If it's not there or not working, the unit will not shift. It is a fail safe so the unit doesn't shift at too low an rpm.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
u.f.o
Senior User
Thanks for the input, I will start with speedo cable and signal sender as I have no speedo working. MistakenID how do you like the unit?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:02 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
I really like the gear vendor. Works very well, mostly trouble free. It's been on my truck since 94. I did have to replace the signal generator once- $34 from gear vendor.

Other than that, just normal fluid changes. It would work even better with a standard trans and higher gears. My gear ratio is still to low for the cummins.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mistakenID,

Not to hijack, just a couple of Q's.

What trans., rear gear, do you have behind your BT5.9?
Did you keep the TTB?

Thanks

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM
lonestarcruiser
New User
U.F.O. I am not 100% certain - but from your original post, you indicated that you have power to both terminals... if we were to label those terminals as #1 and #2, I believe the motor works by applying 12 volts (+) to #1 while making #2 Gnd (-) for one way, then reversing the polarity (+) to the #2 and (-) to the #1 for the other gear position.

In other words, only one of those terminals should have 12V(+) going to them at any given time....

Again, not 100% sure - but that is what I gathered from looking at mine.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:50 PM
u.f.o
Senior User
Well I got my speedo working, it was that little extension the tube was not in right. so now I must have electric problem . Thanks for the ideas you guys are very helpful. It is good to know you like your unit MistakenID

UFO

Old 05-13-2009, 08:32 PM
j tate
Senior User
Originally Posted by u.f.o
Well I got my speedo working, it was that little extension the tube was not in right. so now I must have electric problem . Thanks for the ideas you guys are very helpful. It is good to know you like your unit MistakenID

UFO
the electrical problem your talking about might be what longstarcruiser is talking about.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:23 PM
j tate
Senior User
i cant remember for sure becuase its been several years since ive replaced the motor on the dne2. if i remember correctly on the wormdrive that comes out the motor there is a block that rides the wormdrive. on this block there is a plastic pin that moves back and forth when you change ranges. this plastic pin makes contact with two switches that trips the voltage and shuts the motor down after it changes ranges. the litle plastic pin is known for breaking off (its plastic), you can buy a new one but its quite pricey. when i bought mine it was broke and i had to fix it. instead of paying a arm and a leg you can remove whats left of the plastic out of the metal block and buy what they call a metal split pin from a hardware store. dont remember what size it was but after you remove the plastic out the hole you can tell what sdize you need. after you purchase the split pin you have to cut it to length, because its to long. this was recomended frob bob at us gear corp.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 AM
u.f.o
Senior User
thanks Tate but I think the gear vendor is diffent to what you have, there is no motor,it has a solenoid that changes range with electric over hydrallic, signal sender and computor box.

UFO

Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Festus, the rest of the drive train is original. C-6, 4:10 gears, 33 inch tires. With the over drive engaged the cummins is 2500 rpm @ 75 mph. Needs to be about 1700 rpm @ 75 to have a good working torque range.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you... Just what I wanted to know.
I agree it's to low geared.

Hijack over!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gear vendor