1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

'65 F350 Front End

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'65 F350 Front End

The '65 f350 will be getting a new front end-one way or another. The left front wheel hub broke-seperating the tire from the moving vehicle, fortunately only moving down the driveway at the time. There are a couple options out on the table for front suspension. This thread may also be helpful for other guys who have 6-lug two-piece wheels who want newer suspensions parts and to get away from the mankiller wheels. I'm not looking to go crazy on this-but the goal is for heavy duty, reliable, and easy service.
If we stay 2 wheel drive we could either grab the running gear from a late model (88-90's) F450 which is a leaf-sprung solid front axle with a drw disc brake rear axle-total gvw would now equal 14k. Good points-4 wheel disc brakes, heavy duty, reliable Bad points-locating parts, 10 lug bolt pattern
Another 2 wheel drive option-grab the running gear from a bread van. I saw a small delivery van the other day with 8 lug DRW leaf-sprung solid front axle. It all happened fast, so i dont know much except for that fact. If i could find any more info or if someone else knows anything about these, this would be the best option.
Last options - 4 wheel drive. Probably the easiest. I measured an 8-lug dana 44/14 Bolt combo from a '78 Chevy K20. The front axle looks very close to a bolt-up to the existing leaf springs. Although i want to weld in the chevy spring hangers (the stock springs are the slipper type-front and rear, shackles would be better). The manual steering box will not need any moving-just fabricate a drag link to the drivers side knuckle. The rear 14 Bolt will need the spring perches welded-but that's for an expericned welder (not me).
I'm a die-hard ford guy, but i'm looking for an economically friendly swap. I'm looking for heavy duty parts, reliability, and ease of service. The ford front axles have a driver's side differential and are EXPENSIVE-the 4 wheelers buy them because the newer rigs (87+ jeep, 94+ dodge, 88+ chevy) all run a driver's side drop t-case. The chevy axles are the same as the dodge axles of that era and are actually regarded as stronger by some abusive 4 wheelers i know. Being a driver's side drop-this also allows for the use of a chevy or dodge NP205 which can be had for WAY less than the Ford NP205's.
I'm into older Jeeps so i'm familiar with the basics on this stuff. I've been reading all sources of into for the last two months (since the truck lost it's footing) and i believe this to be the most economically friendly solution for a 4 wheel drive swap. Please correct any incorrect info-i'm no expert, just a cheap kid using common sense. Plus i would hate for some people to read this post and acquire any falso info.
As far as the bread van type 2wd front axles, anybody know about these? they look awfully inviting...thanks guys, just looking to offer ideas for anyone else with an F350 who wants to get rid of these 2-piece wheels, i believe there are a few on here, we've talked about the wheels before.
Matter of fact-if someone found a 89-93 W250 dodge for their donor truck, it would have a dana 60 front, dana 70 rear, and NP205. It may even have the cummins-install in the F350 or sell it off to pay for the project.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Another thought i had a while ago was to install a '64 and earlier F250 front axle. It's a solid axle, 8 lugs, SRW, and heavy duty. Locating one is more trouble than finding these newer parts though. But a suggestion for any other "mankiller wheel" F350 owners looking to take a safe route. But to tell some facts. I graduated high school last spring and i will tell you, that poor '65 F350 went through a LOT. I know you guys don't want to hear about some kid beating on a poor innocent truck-but that's what i did. I know this truck better than i know myself; Any other vehicle would have quit or blown up. I LOVE my '65 F350 and the 352 FE. A simple, effective, and cheap truck to run.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:35 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Found a 66 F600 for sale in my area...also has large 6 lug wheels. Haven't stopped to check it out...does anybody know if the F600 6 lug pattern is the same as the F350's? i believe the f350's are 6 x 7.25. Anybody have medium-duty truck expertise?
Perhaps the front hubs would bolt-up to the F350? probably not though... swap the medium-duty axle in
The rear is an Eaton 2 speed...while not helping much with highway and drivability...anybody who works their trucks will like the ability to really hunker down in low with a load
This wouldn't even help by getting rid of the two-piece wheels though...but it's more F350 wheel information