Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: BPofMD

What have you Done to your truck today

Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 AM
dethomson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Dave. It doesn't always work out when we're nice to people. Not receiving the same consideration in return is tough.

I should have plenty to post in this thread soon once I get my 460 swap done. I hope things are well on your end.

I'm not sure if my avatar shows up , but I sold FT for $3150 since the 351M has a slight main bearing knock and could use replacing, even though it runs fine.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
66fdtrucknut
Posting Guru
Been working on the 78' for the last week, rebuilding the carb. and chasing the sitting for a year, stale gas and crap in the fuel line gremlins out. Think I just about got it right. Of course everytime I say that it comes back on the end of a chain. Hows it going Bud?
Charlie

Old 07-24-2009, 08:25 PM
dethomson
Senior User
I replaced my A/C compressor and evaporator with ones from a donor '76. Too bad I didn't realize the 460 donor uses a different pulley offset until I went to put on the belt...Doht! I guess I'll work on getting the 460 put in sooner than later.

I also had the local shop look at my power steering pump and see if they could bleed it out better than I did. It is somewhat better, but the steering still has some hard spots. The shop guy says my steering box needs replaced. It seems odd that things worked pretty good until I did that hydroboost swap. Maybe the swap just put it over the edge...

Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
yeah that always seems to be the way-fix one thing and 2 break

Old 07-25-2009, 06:54 AM
66fdtrucknut
Posting Guru
I'm still dealing with fuel system issues with 78', dropped the tank, bought a new pick up filter, kinda pricey at 29 bucks. Had to fish the old one out of the tank. With out it you run out of gas with a 1/4 tank of gas. been working on this thing every night for the last 2 weeks and it's getting old. Getting to drive this truck and making it to gas station is starting to be a quest.
Charlie

Old 07-25-2009, 07:05 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 66fdtrucknut
I'm still dealing with fuel system issues with 78', dropped the tank, bought a new pick up filter, kinda pricey at 29 bucks. Had to fish the old one out of the tank. With out it you run out of gas with a 1/4 tank of gas. been working on this thing every night for the last 2 weeks and it's getting old. Getting to drive this truck and making it to gas station is starting to be a quest.
Charlie
dang that sucks-
hey charlie-how ya been -ain't seen ya on much--
we miss ya!

Old 07-25-2009, 03:25 PM
66fdtrucknut
Posting Guru
Been working on this truck, I haven't been driving Eunice much either. We went on vacation and working on the camper before that, been one thing after another.
Charlie

Old 07-25-2009, 07:20 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dethomson
I replaced my A/C compressor and evaporator with ones from a donor '76. Too bad I didn't realize the 460 donor uses a different pulley offset until I went to put on the belt...Doht! I guess I'll work on getting the 460 put in sooner than later.

I also had the local shop look at my power steering pump and see if they could bleed it out better than I did. It is somewhat better, but the steering still has some hard spots. The shop guy says my steering box needs replaced. It seems odd that things worked pretty good until I did that hydroboost swap. Maybe the swap just put it over the edge...
the hydro boost set up has more pressure than the stock set up. put a adjustable regulator in the high pressure line to the box, and calm it down some, it will return to normal. you may also want to adjust the worm gear, and take some of the slop out of it. pm me if you need some help with that, I doubt the box is bad, if it dosent leak.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM
dethomson
Senior User
Thanks Charlie, The odd thing is, things worked fine prior to and shortly after the hydroboost swap. My old P/S pump and master cylinder were on the way out, so that was my motivation for going forward with hydroboost. The steering just started pretty much one day to get hard spots when turning the wheel. I don't have any leaks and there isn't any real slack in the sterring box either. My brakes work fine, except that the F-450 M/C is way too much for this old truck and needs to be swapped out.

I'm wondering if it's possible there is something in the line/box that's clogging things up and preventing proper pressure getting to the right parts. Also, maybe I didn't use the right P/S fluid??? The stuff I purchased from Western Auto (the only thing they had on the shelf) was a fairly clear fluid and not the red stuff I'm used to.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:50 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by dethomson
Thanks Charlie, The odd thing is, things worked fine prior to and shortly after the hydroboost swap. My old P/S pump and master cylinder were on the way out, so that was my motivation for going forward with hydroboost. The steering just started pretty much one day to get hard spots when turning the wheel. I don't have any leaks and there isn't any real slack in the sterring box either. My brakes work fine, except that the F-450 M/C is way too much for this old truck and needs to be swapped out.

I'm wondering if it's possible there is something in the line/box that's clogging things up and preventing proper pressure getting to the right parts. Also, maybe I didn't use the right P/S fluid??? The stuff I purchased from Western Auto (the only thing they had on the shelf) was a fairly clear fluid and not the red stuff I'm used to.
I'm useing the clear looking stuff now too. it's ok, same thing without the die, keeps the cost down. 10 wht oil is 10 wht oil. did you replace your return line down to the steering box, could be colapsing, and causeing a pressure problem.also useing fuel line for the return is a no no. has to be an oil aproved line. does the p/s pump growl when you apply the brakes?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:39 PM
dethomson
Senior User
I took the whole hydroboost system off the F-450 and put it in my truck...P/S pump, lines, hydroboost, and M/C. All lines are factory and were a direct bolt-in on my truck -even though I had to rebend the hard lines to/from the hydroboost unit. There aren't any kinks or anything. I didn't look for collapsing hoses, but will. Even though it'sa new pump, the pump has the usual Ford whine at all times. I'll also recheck if any additional noise comes out from the P/S pump when brakes are applied and held.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:02 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
have you jacked up the front, and turned the wheels lock to lock, and see if there is any binding any where

Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 PM
dethomson
Senior User
That was part of my original bleeding tasks...to jack up the front and bump the steering to each end 10 times. I didn't feel anything catch or bump. That's another thing I'll visually check though.

Thanks for the help Charlie.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
trying to put some thought into it, hard to diagnose something with out seeing it, what year is the truck, I don't know if you have ball joints, or king pins.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:56 PM
dethomson
Senior User
Yea, it's tough. The truck is a '78 F-150 that was converted to D60's F&R from a '79 F-250. The front alxe has kingpins. The steering box is original from the '78 since there wasn't any outward difference between the '78 and '79 box. There aren't any fluid leaks anywhere.

I wanted to do those checks today, but other stuff had to get done instead. Maybe tomorrow...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you Done to your truck today