Trail america tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 AM
top that
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trail america tires

A friend and I pulled 2 3horse trailers from Tn. to tx. Phil blowed 2 tires tearing up both sides of his trailer. We both have trail america tires with low mileage but the tires made in 03 has anyone else had problems with this brand. My sisterilaw bought a set from Sundowner and with less than 1000 miles blowed all 4 tires. Tires are lt 235/85/16 e rated. What brand holds up best not fun setting on side of road with torn up trailer.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:16 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I will be willing to bet that if you look at the sidewall you may find they are made in China.

I would recommend finding a good USA made LT tire, the ST trailer tires are almost all made in China and speed rated for 65 MPH.

Denny

Old 05-10-2009, 09:06 AM
top that
Junior User
Trail america

Right they say ingeneered in Japan but made in China any brand you recomend made in USA Thanks

Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
...and don't forget tires older than 7 years are dangerous!!! Only buy tires made within the last year - don't pay any attention to what the seller says!!! Date-made is printed on each sidewall!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:41 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was told to replace them every 3-4 years unless you use them constantly. They dry out, ALL tires do this. If they aren't in use they are not lubercated and dry rot. Trailers see this problem all the time because of all the time they spend parked, whereas car tires tend to be used far more. But even they can have the same issue... there was a big investigative report recently that showed that there is a high incidence of blowouts lately because tire companies were stockpiling product and the "new" tires you purchase for your car may have been sitting for 6-18 months, which kills them.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> are lt 235/85/16 e rated

If I was towing horses I would be inclined to put a "ST" rated tire on the trailer. That being said, I have never seen a problem with Goodyear or Michelin tires in that size (LT235/85R16) and load range (E).

I never seem to keep a dual axle trailer for more then a year or two or use it much. If I did, I would probably rotate the tires, because the back axle gets the most weight, and balance the wheels.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 AM
top that
Junior User
Do you think it helps to have the tires filled with nitrogen. Are michellin tires worth the the extra money over goodyear

Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

I hear that Goodyear's trailer (ST) tires are now "Made In China". Don't know for sure how true that is. But even if they are, there MUST (should?) be some better quality control.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 PM
top that
Junior User
Local tire dealers that sells all brands of tires says he prefers uniroyal now that michellen has bought them any thoughts

Old 05-11-2009, 02:43 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Must be a better dealer cost than the others...... I bought American-made no name tires up in NJ when my Chinese tires exploded at 1 year of age!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by top that
Right they say ingeneered in Japan but made in China any brand you recomend made in USA Thanks
I run GY LT235/85/16 614s G rated tires on my trailer but only because I need the G rating and they are the only ones that are made in the US plus they have a 4 year warranty that will cover any damage to the trailer during the that period. They will be replaced after the 4 year warranty expires, and no I do not trust them because of losing a tread on our first set 2 months out of warranty.

If you want to stay with a ST rated tire I would look at Maxxis tires Maxxis - Trailer they aren't made in the US or China but have a good reputation.

I would also look at Firestone Transforce HT LT tires I know some that are running them on the RV trailers with good luck. If you do go with a LT tire be sure to say with a highway tread, the more aggressive the tread the harder the trailer is on the tires.

Denny

Old 05-13-2009, 03:01 AM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you think it helps to have the tires filled with nitrogen. Are michellin tires worth the the extra money over goodyear
Nitrogen is a joke. I see no benefits nor do I see the tire shop purging the tire to get all of the nitrogen in the tire alone. The michilens are a far better tire than the goodyears!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:22 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, nitrogen does help, but you have to keep on top of it and resist temptation to fill with regular compressed air. The nitrogen machines DO purge the tires. You won't notice a difference, they'll just last longer.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 AM
squaredancer
Senior User
Nitrogen in tires- The short answer is NO. The long answer- 1. it is an extra expense. 2. Nitrogen is not available everywhere and probably not when you really need it. 3. Nitrogen is good if you plan to go a steady 150mph or better like NASCAR.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:06 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

It IS good as it keeps any water out of the tire...if that is important to you. It also does keep the heat down a little....

Quick Reply: Trail america tires