Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Junior User

foxcoupe is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
factory navigation head unit

I have a 2008 Limited EL with the 6 disc. I know I read on here that there is someone who sells the nav head unit at half the cost of the dealer, and it is an easy install. Anyone have the contact info on the place that sells them, and a story about how installing it went?

thanks in advance.
'92 GT hatchback <--- SOLD
'08 Expy EL limited
'09 Challenger SRT8 6spd, Hemi orange, of course!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:35 AM
MMC (SS) Bubblehead!

Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.
the install is plug and play.

the radio in the Expy is interchangeable with the 05+ Mustang, 04-08 F-150...and from what I understand the Exploder and Fusion

I know the Mustang and F-150 are 100% guaranteed though.

but yeah, subscribing to hear the answer about the Nav unit pricing. Don't need it, but I'd like to integrate the DVD playing capability for use in a custom 4 video screen setup for the kiddo's
Old 05-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Postmaster

berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It is not hard to install. A few bolts, a few plugs. You do have to get a gps antenna and I am not sure where that needs to be installed at.

The OEM navigation even at half price is too expensive for the features is has IMO. There are many double din navigation units by Pioneer, Alpine, etc. that have much better features-USB input, etc for about the same cost.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry1234 View Post
It is not hard to install. A few bolts, a few plugs. You do have to get a gps antenna and I am not sure where that needs to be installed at.

The OEM navigation even at half price is too expensive for the features is has IMO. There are many double din navigation units by Pioneer, Alpine, etc. that have much better features-USB input, etc for about the same cost.
Will these units work with the steering wheel controls, and the factory rear dvd system? I certainly don't absolutely HAVE to have a factory nav system. The only negative to going aftermarket, aside with possible compatability problems, is I would rather not have my window busted out by some jerk to sell for meth money
'08 Expy EL limited
Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Postmaster

You can get an adapter for the steering wheel control, not sure about rear dvd. I am not saying it's always better to go with aftermarket, just that dollar for dollar, you can get more features IMO. If you could get a factory Nav and it was programmed for your car for $700-800 I would go for that.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Elder User

04markIII is starting off with a positive reputation.
eclipse ftw. mine's integrated w/steering wheel and rear dvd. some going pretty cheap on ebay new right now too. go w/avn 5510, 6610, or 6620 for best results.
2003 Expedition: 5.4L, Harley supercharger, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, k&n panel filter, LFP SBTB, FTSP, removed front cats, Magnaflow 3" catback, Bilsteins, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, 331 rwhp, 432 rwtq (dynoe'd w/20's, 17's back on now)
Old 05-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Senior User

IQ9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought the Alpine W505 for our Scion xB and it is MUCH better that the Nav unit in our Expy. The deck was $1000,the nav unit with blue tooth was $300,steering wheel control unit $75 and Sirius kit was $180. We love it. We have no rear entainment as the deck does the movie bit for us...with a little extra work. We also added a kenwood backup camera to the deck for $200. I thought I would give you a price so you could see what you may spend. The laboer for everything was $250 including the custom Scion emble mount of the camera. Good Luck!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Junior User

thanks for the replies. I am certainly not against going aftermarket. I have the Mygig system in my challenger, and I love it. It has 30GB hard drive storage for MP3's, bluetooth connects automatically to my phone, and has navigation. It is a great unit. I know the factory nav in the expedition does not have a hard drive, and I don't think you can make it connect to your cell phone, either. Those are both great features.
'08 Expy EL limited
Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Elder User

cabindoc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04markIII View Post
eclipse ftw. mine's integrated w/steering wheel and rear dvd. some going pretty cheap on ebay new right now too. go w/avn 5510, 6610, or 6620 for best results.
CAN YOU PLAY DVD TO REAR MONITOR(S) WHILE IN NAV MODE OR RADIO MODE UP FRONT?
SOLD 2004 F350 172" wb srw Lariat 6.0l w/ 4" lift
SOLD 2008 F350 172" wb srw KR 5.4L
totalled 2006 F450 "steak" body
Old 03-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Elder User

04markIII is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabindoc View Post
CAN YOU PLAY DVD TO REAR MONITOR(S) WHILE IN NAV MODE OR RADIO MODE UP FRONT?
i can do nav and dvd at the same time, but not radio and dvd.
2003 Expedition: 5.4L, Harley supercharger, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, k&n panel filter, LFP SBTB, FTSP, removed front cats, Magnaflow 3" catback, Bilsteins, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, 331 rwhp, 432 rwtq (dynoe'd w/20's, 17's back on now)
Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Senior User

TIKT B8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought an OEM nav unit and installed it in my 07 in 15-20 minutes start to completely finish. I have pictures of the install of you decide to go this route.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKT B8 View Post
I bought an OEM nav unit and installed it in my 07 in 15-20 minutes start to completely finish. I have pictures of the install of you decide to go this route.
I am interested in this. Where did you get it and did it have to be programmed?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:15 PM
New User

08 Navigator is starting off with a positive reputation.
you can buy the units on ebay for about $500. If you get one out of the kind of truck you have it doesn't need to be programed. I put one out of a 07 Navigator into my 08 in 15min, and everyting worked perfectly. Event he Siris radio worked. You will have to intall a GPS antenna, I put one up under the dash with double stick tape, it works perfectly. Ford uses a roof mount antenna at the factory, which is necessary for satelite radio but not necessary for navigation. Navigation systems do not use streaming data from the satelites, they check cordornates every now and then and use inertial navigation to run the map.

When I put one in my mustang I had to have it programed because the unit had not been taken out of a Mustang. I learned the lesson.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Navigator View Post
you can buy the units on ebay for about $500. If you get one out of the kind of truck you have it doesn't need to be programed. I put one out of a 07 Navigator into my 08 in 15min, and everyting worked perfectly. Event he Siris radio worked. You will have to intall a GPS antenna, I put one up under the dash with double stick tape, it works perfectly. Ford uses a roof mount antenna at the factory, which is necessary for satelite radio but not necessary for navigation. Navigation systems do not use streaming data from the satelites, they check cordornates every now and then and use inertial navigation to run the map.

When I put one in my mustang I had to have it programed because the unit had not been taken out of a Mustang. I learned the lesson.
So if a Expy came from the factory with Navigation and Sirius, there would be two antennas on the roof? I have the Sirius antenna there already.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 PM
New User

08 Navigator is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry1234 View Post
So if a Expy came from the factory with Navigation and Sirius, there would be two antennas on the roof? I have the Sirius antenna there already.
If it came from the factory with navigation and Sirius it has both antennas on the roof, if it came with only Sirius, there is no navigation antenna on the roof.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2007, 2008, adding, bauer, dvd, eddie, expedition, f150, f250, factory, ford, gps, head, mustang, navigation, rear, unit