1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How long have you guys been at it

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I think I bought mine in DEC 1999. If they are ever "done" then I guess I finished early 2005.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:41 AM
woodyf1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the 52 about 3 yrs ago sat for a while disassembled her and started on the box last summer did the frame and major body work rebuilt the 302 and found a rebuilt trans aod at picknpull thank GOD built the cross member thanx guys rebuilt the front axle last fall rear diff 9 inch blasted and painted rear spring done gas tanl installed just down to block sand and paint this summer reassembly already begun GOOD LORD WILLING next summer should be ready this is really my 2nd summer on her just a pup compared to some of you guys

Old 05-09-2009, 09:29 AM
fish-albuq
Senior User
bought the truck 6 years ago and has been a slow process. The only thing that has made it go as fast as it has is the fact that it never was a driver.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 AM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
I bought my 50f1 in 05. Took it down to the bare frame cleaned it and painted it flat black. Installed a Jag IFS and Jag IRS. Installed the 350 TPI 700R4 tranny.Put the cab back on. Got the ECM wired up and column wired. Like a little bit on the IRS. Some brackets. Should be able to get them done this week. Put some gas in the tank and FIRE IT UP. It's been a long 4 yrs. But it's been fun. Can't wait to get the rest of the truck together and drive it. RUSTY

Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 AM
cts1954
Senior User
I bought my 52 F1 in 1978, drove it for a year and decided to take it apart for restoration, still working at it. My Wife still says, "why did you take it apart" . Hopefully get it on the raod before the end.

Good luck

Old 05-09-2009, 11:28 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
More than 3 yrs. but less than 22 yrs. It is a very long story and it is still not finished .It is very close to completion . Progress will be slow for the next 5 months as the heat is back in full force .

Old 05-09-2009, 01:14 PM
JWs57ambition
New User
I bought my '57 F-100 in April last year, and it made it into my shop by May. Thanks to the other projects around the house (and the lure of the fishing boat) it sat patiently waiting until mid-July. Complete disassembly down to frame/engine block took until about November, and I spent the winter months sandblasting frame with the cab totally stripped and hanging from the rafters. My dad came down in mid-March and we replaced 16 pieces of cab metal to fix most of the rust holes in a week (floorboards and cab corners, step plates and cab mount brackets) and now I am finishing up the last little bit of cab metal on the base of the door posts. I have one last piece left to weld in this weekend.
I should get my engine block and heads back from the machine shop by about Memorial Day, and am hoping to have the frame painted, base of cab sealed and have the cab remounted by then in order to have time to re-assemble the ol' 272 (which will now be about 310 with the increased stroke and bore, heh, heh, heh...)
I gave myself a timeline of 2 years to put it back on the road, but figure that spare time and money will probably dictate when it actually makes it out into the light of day again. Its more a labor of love than anythign, and therefore you will always willingly spend more time than you think you should...

Old 05-09-2009, 05:07 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
This is my second 56 f100. I got it in Aug. 1988. Been working on it a little at a time since. This is the first time I have not been able to drive it in a while. It's been out of commission with the rear suspension upgrade since summer of 2008. Waiting on money to continue.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:52 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
My 52 F1 has been apart for almost 20 years. It is finally going back together, slowly..... thanks to the inspiration from you folks on this site. Gotta love it......now I went and bought me a 48 F1........... T/M
Geesh, gonna have to make you the referee between the smileys and the manure spreaders, lol.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 PM
john smith jr
Senior User
I heard a preacher state in a sermon that the average American spends 6 years of thier life watching TV, 9 years sleeping, 2 years in the shower,. My wife said, " except for the shower part, I sure do waste a lot of time. On this one, she was right,.... for a change
I loved old Ford trucks for a long time, so I got my Panel April 08 and instead of napping or staring at the tube I went out and messed with the truck. When I got my truck it rolled, the body was decent and the flattie would turned over ,... but the brakes, suspention, wiring, fuel and ignition systems were toast, Being a complete newbie, this group was instrumental in me getting the stuff done. Its tagged and pretty reliable now. By no means a show car, and I got a list of upgrades and restoration projects lined up that I really ought to get done soon. Its been nothing but good for me.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 PM
jake08
Elder User
Been messing with an F100 12 years. Cars and trucks a total of 54 years. Lots of great memories!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
for the rest of my life LOL I purchased my 51 F1 in 2000, or was it 2001??? and I'm just starting to think about piecing it back together, mostly all with parts and pieces from other donors. Yep, I bought an idea of a truck with a title

Josh

Old 05-10-2009, 08:18 AM
56efffie
Elder User
I got mine home 2001 and planned to be done by 2003, boy was i fooled by how long these projects actually take, especially with a young family. Here it is 2009 and I'm no where near where I thought I would be. I just have to remind myself it's more like a hobby and there is no rush. OK that last sentence was really BS I wanted to her cruise her yesterday!!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Bought my 48 F1 in march 05. Really didn't know what I needed to do with it, so progress was slow to start. Four years later, after frame boxing, jag ifs, explorer rear and such, it's going back together. Maybe one more year....

Old 05-10-2009, 12:32 PM
DonMckay
Senior User
I don't quite have 20 years into it yet but it is close. I brought it home from my dads farm in 1989. It did run good I used it to take garbage to the dump every few months. In 2001 I started to take it apart and I had the frame and most of the body parts sandblasted. I had the frame painted and started working dents out of the fenders. The Guy that my dad got it from used it to haul grain from the combine the old farmers wife used to drive it and she had a few arguments with the combine so most of the fenders had some kind of a dent in them although there was very little rust on any of it. In 1993 it basically got put on the back burner and not much happened until 1997 when I had a body man go through the fenders and finish them up. Again it was on the back burner until 2005 when I had a bit of extra time and started to seriously get to work on it. I pretty much had it together when life got in the way again of working on it. I will be doing some more on it this year and should have it together soon.

Quick Reply: How long have you guys been at it