Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta70 View Post
I noticed that they updated the head gasket in 06. Has the improved the gasket failure for the 06 and 07? Or is it just me wishful thinking.

The head gaskets themselves have always been good. The update in 2006 was for "commonization" w/ the 6.4L. It was only to adjust for the dowel size, etc changes. the issues w/ leaking head gaskets is due to the bolts. When cylinder pressures get too high, the bolts stretch a little and never return to the original strength. Over time, leakage gets bad enough to cause puking, etc.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 12-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Senior User

bradyracing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford says there is a difference in pumps for the 2003-2004 and the 2004.25. This has been a problem for me because I have one of the 2004.25 and all the pumps I see for sale are for the 2003-2004 or the 2005 and up pumps. The 03-04 pumps start with a 3 and the 2004.25 pump starts with a 4 with all other digits in the part number being the same. The aftermarket guys sell one pump, they don't have a separate pump for the 2004.25. Ford says because the 2004.25 oil rails increased from 15 CI to 30 CI the pump was changed. My question is what was the difference between the 04 and 04.25 pumps? The 04.25 pump has seven pistons in it, does the 03-04 pump only have six or something like that?
http://community.webshots.com/user/b...host=community
Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Elder User

rocky1074 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rocky1074 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Another GREAT write-up Mark...Thanks
2007 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide

Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Senior User

Really..... nothing. So the ford techs on this site have no idea what the difference is between the 04 and 04.25 HPOP pumps even though ford says there is a difference. They also seem to not know what part of the 6.0 fuel injector goes bad, the fuel end or the oil and electrical end.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
The late build 04s don't have the same HPOP that the 05 and up trucks do. These have the same top discharge HPOP that the 03s have but they share the "wave" high pressure oil rails with the later engines. These seemingly "hodge podge" changes can be confusing if you aren't familiar with the different "flavours" of the 6.0.

Also -
Sometime in 2004 the high-pressure oil rail was redesigned (wavy design) to increase oil capacity and to reduce noise. The new design wavy high-pressure rail has increased the volume from 15 cubic inches to 30 cubic inches. This reduces pressure fall-off during injection and improved emissions and fuel economy.
• The stand pipes’ serviceability has been improved.

Personally, I do not know the exact dates of the changes - sorry.

Also as an FYI -

From the beginning of production, the high pressure pump cover retains a sleeve which provides a sealing surface for the o-ring on the high-pressure oil discharge tube.Mid-way through 2003 MY, the sleeve in the high-pressure pump cover was removed. • The sealing surface for the high-pressure oil discharge tube is now totally machined for the o-ring seal.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 12-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Senior User

I know this. I have the goofy hybrid of the wavy oil rails and the old swash plate pump. So what is the difference between the 2004 and 2004.25 pumps? Ford says there is a difference, so what is the difference?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Post Fiend

Just to add a little more detail:

The 06's and up had some turbo slight improvements as well as the "commonization". Larger oil drain tube and supply line and "A Revised Machined Recess Turbocharger (5c3z-6k682-ca) Designed Exclusively To Address Corrosion Related Turbocharger Performance Is Now Available In Service."

Also, sometime in 2005, the MAF was deleted, then added back in in 2006.

http://turbodieselforums.com/diesel_9.pdf
Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyracing View Post
I know this. I have the goofy hybrid of the wavy oil rails and the old swash plate pump. So what is the difference between the 2004 and 2004.25 pumps? Ford says there is a difference, so what is the difference?
Bump for you.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Elder User

utjer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You are breaking the rules of this forum. As an attorney I am sure you know how to read.

edit - deleted the quote of someone breaking forum rules. Their post was removed.
Edge Insight w/EGT Probe; Diesel Site Coolant Filter
Leveling Kit
Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Freshman User

cactus13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Will '06 turbo fit my '04?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Just to add a little more detail:

The 06's and up had some turbo slight improvements as well as the "commonization". Larger oil drain tube and supply line and "A Revised Machined Recess Turbocharger (5c3z-6k682-ca) Designed Exclusively To Address Corrosion Related Turbocharger Performance Is Now Available In Service."

Also, sometime in 2005, the MAF was deleted, then added back in in 2006.

http://turbodieselforums.com/diesel_9.pdf
Hello, I am going to look at a used 2006 6.0 turbo to be kept as a spare. Is there a number stamped on it that will tell me if it can be installed on my '04?
Other than some change in the mounting bracket I can't find any post saying it wouldn't work as is. I assume I can upgrade the oil feed and drain lines?
Will I find the above number stamped on the housing if it is the newer recessed design?
Thank you for all the valuable info in this forum, really a lifesaver!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus13 View Post
Hello, I am going to look at a used 2006 6.0 turbo to be kept as a spare. Is there a number stamped on it that will tell me if it can be installed on my '04?
Other than some change in the mounting bracket I can't find any post saying it wouldn't work as is. I assume I can upgrade the oil feed and drain lines?
Will I find the above number stamped on the housing if it is the newer recessed design?
Thank you for all the valuable info in this forum, really a lifesaver!
04,5,6,7 turbos will all directly interchange with each other.

Hell will freeze over and I'll ice skate with the devil before I EVER lower my flag

Tim
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Freshman User

cactus13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks npcc. I picked it up yesterday and it looks pretty good. I will post some photos of it particularly of the air side intake vanes which are complete but seem a little sketchy.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Posting Guru

smokersteve has a good reputation on FTE.smokersteve has a good reputation on FTE.smokersteve has a good reputation on FTE.
What about the 08 and 09 engines 6.0L in the e-series?
06 F-350 6.0L 105,000miles ARP Oil & Coolant Bypass Filters + EC-1 SCT IDP Delete Pipes Edge Insight STC & Fuel Reg Update Pluged Up-pipe No ScoopFront 2" Hitch 2.5" Front Lift Firestone Air Bags Front E-Locker Rear ARB Locker

2011 F-150 5.0L 18,000miles
0W-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Posting Guru

flamebuster has a good reputation on FTE.flamebuster has a good reputation on FTE.
I just installed a new front cover (where the oil and water pump are installed) on my '04 model year with a '05 year just to make sure the pump was the larger 100mm. I had to also change out the lower radiator hose due to the dfferent angle of the outlet pipe on the cover. The old one was pointed down at a angle and the newer one is staight out, making the old orginal hose too short..
2004 F-350 Super Duty Crew King Ranch . 6.0 psd...coolant, filter,egr. cooler delete, ccv. reroute, slotted and drilled rotors,kitty ran away, air bags,leveling kit, progigy,piaa lights, Warn HID driving lights, Warn 9,000i winch.
2003 EXP; All stock Wifes ride!!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Postmaster

olfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to behold
My rep gun seems to be shooting blanks in your direction for now. Until I take a few shots at others on the site I'll have to keep the powder dry for your efforts here. Let me just thank you with a post of approval for now.
Thanks, good stuff! Tim

05 F350 4x4 CC SB Tow Com 6.0 Auto (camper puller)
74 F250 4x4 w/ C8-460 4sp (restore project and wood truck)
07 Everest 295TS Fifth Wheel (rolling beer drinkin' den)
56 Sweetheart (wife)
These are my ladies
Old 09-14-2011, 09:30 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
03, 04, 2003, 2004, 60, 60l, attitude, branch, early, edge, ford, forum, number, part, powerstroke, tube, turbo