Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Felt like it ran out of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:37 PM
American Air-1
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Felt like it ran out of fuel

I Was driving my 2000 PS the other day when I went around a corner and left off the gas to slow down. I did something it has never done before.....the motor shut off! I then pulled over and immediately tried to start it back up, which it did, but then it acted like it was starved for fuel for a little while. I decided to put it in gear and give it a shot to get home, but for a little while anyway, I couldn't go too fast or it would die. By the time I got to my driveway(approx 7 mins), I punched it to see how it was going to act and it flew again with no problems.

Due to health issues, I have not driven the truck since but after having a gall bladder operation out of the way, I need to start working on this.....as this is the favorite ride from anyone in the family.

Does this sound like a blocked fuel filter or maybe a fuel pump going bad? Should I buy a gauge and check the fuel pressure and if so, what should it be?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm might think about replacing your CPS.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Excursion4X4
Posting Guru

CPS, than look into the blocked fuel filter.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 AM
American Air-1
Tuned
Would a CPS act like running out of fuel? From what I've read on this website, it does sound like they go bad allot. Is this the reason why I see the "Black" one listed on certain websites?

To be honest, I have a recall from FORD on this, but would almost rather pay the money to buy this part and put it on myself than to risk a dealer doing it. I for one worked for the dealer for 20 years and no all to well that they may give my truck to someone like the oil change guy if he's slow that day.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I too had that surgery on Friday the 24th of April. It was supposed to be the laparascopic version in and out, but unfortunately when I woke up, I had a 10inch incision and a 5 day stay in the hospital. Fun fun fun....anyway, it sounds like CPS to me as well. It is a 10 minute job start to finish in order to do it yourself. All it takes is a 10mm wrench I believe.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by American Air-1
Would a CPS act like running out of fuel? From what I've read on this website, it does sound like they go bad allot. Is this the reason why I see the "Black" one listed on certain websites?

To be honest, I have a recall from FORD on this, but would almost rather pay the money to buy this part and put it on myself than to risk a dealer doing it. I for one worked for the dealer for 20 years and no all to well that they may give my truck to someone like the oil change guy if he's slow that day.

Thanks for the help guys.
Finding a black one will be tough. If you need, I have a couple used ones I bought as spares off Ebay and I could send you one. You might scan Ebay and see if there are any more available. Or, contact Clay (Riffraff Diesel) and see if he can get you a new IH CPS still. Option 3 is to try the black CPS from a 94.5-96 7.3.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
I agree on the CPS as well.
Loss of fuel pressure will make it die in a tapering down sort of way.
If it just shuts off like you describe, that is electronic failure.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 AM
American Air-1
Tuned
Thats it though. It did just die going around the corner, but when I first started it back up, I had to feather the throttle a bit to keep it running.....then be easy on the throttle for awhile while driving to try to limp it home.

Maybe if the CPS is going out, if it allowed it to kind of get flooded a bit and ran fine as soon as the excessive fuel ran through?????

BTW, is the black CPS suppose to be better or heavy duty or something?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 AM
JEV
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
When my fuel pump died this winter the truck would still run. It ran rough as can be and I had no power but it still ran. I was showing zero fuel pressure on my gauge. It never did shut right down. I would start with a new CPS and go from there....
JEV

Old 05-06-2009, 10:31 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by American Air-1
Thats it though. It did just die going around the corner, but when I first started it back up, I had to feather the throttle a bit to keep it running.....then be easy on the throttle for awhile while driving to try to limp it home.

Maybe if the CPS is going out, if it allowed it to kind of get flooded a bit and ran fine as soon as the excessive fuel ran through?????

BTW, is the black CPS suppose to be better or heavy duty or something?
The black CPS is far less problematic than the new "improved" gray one.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
American Air-1
Tuned
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
The black CPS is far less problematic than the new "improved" gray one.
Gotcha. I understand how things get screwed up when Ford tries to make something "better".

Originally Posted by JEV
When my fuel pump died this winter the truck would still run. It ran rough as can be and I had no power but it still ran. I was showing zero fuel pressure on my gauge. It never did shut right down. I would start with a new CPS and go from there....
JEV
That makes sense. When I drove up my driveway 7 minutes after it shut off, it ran like a raped ape. Does kinda sound like an electronic problem huh? I'll order one today.

Aren't these forums great? After being a mod on forums like www.markviii.org and other Lincoln forums on air suspension for over 10 years, its different to be on the other side of the fence. Just a good testimony that when you get 1000's of owners together, you make everyone smarter.

I appreciate everyones input.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 AM
joegebff
Gone Fishin for Mark

Nope. They don't flood. CPS is usually an all or nothing issue. I would think fuel related. Check your oil.

Reading your sig....disconnect the puppy dog before attempting diagnostics.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
American Air-1
Tuned
Originally Posted by joegebff
Nope. They don't flood. CPS is usually an all or nothing issue. I would think fuel related. Check your oil.

Reading your sig....disconnect the puppy dog before attempting diagnostics.
The system is flashed by a Bully-Dog programmer, so theres nothing to unplug.

Good point to check the oil and I will for S & G's, but I just changed it to synthetic about 2 weeks ago. Now you got me thinking again.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:30 AM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
It may or may not be a CPS, they can do goofy things to our trucks. I know when my CPS went, it just died and would not restart. But I know a few other guys that would have other issues that could not be explained. Once they did a CPS swap, the issues went away.

You issues could be a list of things, from a fuel pump going out, clogged fuel bowl filter, HPOP, IPR, ICP, or about 10 other things.. I like to start with the simple things first. If CPS doesn't fix, get a scan tool on it if you can.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM
American Air-1
Tuned
Originally Posted by SuperDoodie
It may or may not be a CPS, they can do goofy things to our trucks. I know when my CPS went, it just died and would not restart. But I know a few other guys that would have other issues that could not be explained. Once they did a CPS swap, the issues went away.

You issues could be a list of things, from a fuel pump going out, clogged fuel bowl filter, HPOP, IPR, ICP, or about 10 other things.. I like to start with the simple things first. If CPS doesn't fix, get a scan tool on it if you can.

Yeah, I put a scan tool on it first thing, but it didn't have any codes in the memory....nor did it ever flash a check engine light.

Quick Reply: Felt like it ran out of fuel