Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Elder User

infinite-foamies is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a huge wiring job im about to embark on. I cant fit everything under the set or rather i think i would have a cooling issue... so i am lowering the floor pans in several spots.

here is what i plan to install:
2000W inverter
converter
UPS(uninteruptible power supply)
mobile ham radio with built in 150w amp(remote head unit)
house battery(s) (probably going with one for now)
outlets throughout and passthrough for my slide in camper
20a shore power inlet
rv style circuit breakers

I have everything except for the 2/0 cable for my inverter, some of the breakers and few small items like conduit and strain reliefs.

what do you guys think of lowering the floor pan instead of going under the seat? think i could get away with going under the seat?
65' M35A2 Continental Multifuelhttp://tinyurl.com/pc3fh75
For sale: 93' F150 4x4 5spd 300 http://tinyurl.com/msyk44p
71' 3dr Burban 4x4 Upcoming 4BT swap
Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Senior User

lartross is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did a similar thing, but I used a glow plug relay controlled by a sw on my dash and an inline 100a fuse. Ran my wires to a pos and neg standoff I mounted on the frame of my back seat so I can run my 400w full sine wave inverter or my 1100w modified sine wave inverter...or both if I'm careful. My goal was power for my laptop or power for my wifes oxygen generator or power for whatever. [she has emphasima].
Larry 2000 F250 sd, sc, 4x4 long bed 7.3l psd, auto, hutch/harpoon, 6637, 4" turbo back w/high flow muffler ,bypass oil filter, coolant filter, BDP tunes, ELC coolant, Riff/Raff intercooler boots, cvs mod, John Woods valve body, bellowed up pipes, egt gauge, transmission temperature gauge, boost gauge, air bags with compresser, fuel pressure gauge. B.E.S.T. map
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Elder User

srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite-foamies View Post
I have a huge wiring job im about to embark on. I cant fit everything under the set or rather i think i would have a cooling issue... so i am lowering the floor pans in several spots.

here is what i plan to install:
2000W inverter
converter
UPS(uninteruptible power supply)
mobile ham radio with built in 150w amp(remote head unit)
house battery(s) (probably going with one for now)
outlets throughout and passthrough for my slide in camper
20a shore power inlet
rv style circuit breakers

I have everything except for the 2/0 cable for my inverter, some of the breakers and few small items like conduit and strain reliefs.

what do you guys think of lowering the floor pan instead of going under the seat? think i could get away with going under the seat?
I wouldn't think you need to lower the floor pan. Most of that stuff can fit under the rear seat. If you need more cooling space, you can use the under front seat area or under the center front seat area to spread items out.

I raised the rear seat by adding square tubing between the floor brackets and seat rail. There is still enough rear headroom for 3" above the head of my 6'5" boys. That would add enough space under the seat for what you want to put under there.
Darrell, PAA#131

The Blue(ish) Beast. 7.3 manual, 6637 Mod, Hutch mod on a steel aft axle tank, pre-pump fuel filter, coolant filter, LED rear lights, HPx, front axle rebuild, transfer case replaced, rear (clear 1 piece) window replaced with privacy manual slider
Old 01-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by srteach View Post
I wouldn't think you need to lower the floor pan. Most of that stuff can fit under the rear seat. If you need more cooling space, you can use the under front seat area or under the center front seat area to spread items out.

I raised the rear seat by adding square tubing between the floor brackets and seat rail. There is still enough rear headroom for 3" above the head of my 6'5" boys. That would add enough space under the seat for what you want to put under there.
i have a centurion truck so the front bench was replaced with captains seats. no room underneath.

although i hadnt though about raising the rear seat. that is much simpler and undo-able. thank you. maybe i should cut the rug out though so it is a more capable heat conductor and air convection is also more possible underneath the items?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Elder User

srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite-foamies View Post
i have a centurion truck so the front bench was replaced with captains seats. no room underneath.

although i hadnt though about raising the rear seat. that is much simpler and undo-able. thank you. maybe i should cut the rug out though so it is a more capable heat conductor and air convection is also more possible underneath the items?
My truck has the 40/20/40 individual front seats. I could place things under the front seats, though I don't.

Cutting the carpet is NOT un-doable. I would never cut the carpet out. Truck value will be instantly lower, noise in the cab will increase, and rear of the cab heating will be more difficult. You won't get the heat transfer that you need anyway unless you go to bare metal and use a heat transfer compound between the item and the body.

Hanging items under the seat rail would make cutting the carpet a moot point. You could build a hanging frame if the devices don't allow for direct hanging or different orientation (O2 bottles for example). It would allow airflow above, on both sides (with spacing), and below the item, and let the fans built into devices work properly. Wires can be routed through the body holes, and protected outside the body or routed down the wire channel at the bottom of the door. Cleaning the inevitable dust and crumbs would be easier if devices are not attached to the floor.

Only you can determine the amount of space you need. Do it how you want and need, but those are my thoughts.
Darrell, PAA#131

The Blue(ish) Beast. 7.3 manual, 6637 Mod, Hutch mod on a steel aft axle tank, pre-pump fuel filter, coolant filter, LED rear lights, HPx, front axle rebuild, transfer case replaced, rear (clear 1 piece) window replaced with privacy manual slider
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by srteach View Post
My truck has the 40/20/40 individual front seats. I could place things under the front seats, though I don't.

Cutting the carpet is NOT un-doable. I would never cut the carpet out. Truck value will be instantly lower, noise in the cab will increase, and rear of the cab heating will be more difficult. You won't get the heat transfer that you need anyway unless you go to bare metal and use a heat transfer compound between the item and the body.

Hanging items under the seat rail would make cutting the carpet a moot point. You could build a hanging frame if the devices don't allow for direct hanging or different orientation (O2 bottles for example). It would allow airflow above, on both sides (with spacing), and below the item, and let the fans built into devices work properly. Wires can be routed through the body holes, and protected outside the body or routed down the wire channel at the bottom of the door. Cleaning the inevitable dust and crumbs would be easier if devices are not attached to the floor.

Only you can determine the amount of space you need. Do it how you want and need, but those are my thoughts.
i dont intend to ever get rid of the truck but that is a good point. I am most likely running the wires under the truck through conduit (all wires except 2/0) and running the 2/0 straight with some form of abrasion prevention. thanks again for your two cents! I will make sure to take pictures.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
120, 2004, 2006, f150, f250, f350, ford, install, installing, inverter, outlet, power, truck, volt, wiring