2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions regarding the Edge Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Supercrewzin01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions regarding the Edge Programmer

For the guys that have this programmer on their 2004-2008 F150's I have a few questions. I had this programmer on my 2001 and had alot of problems with it. There was an error on the screen and Edge couldn't reflash the computer. The other time I accidently turned the truck off when it was programming and Edge couldn't get the PCM to reflash (I know this was my fault, but still). Has anyone experienced any problems with theres? Also, being that my truck only has 16,000 miles on it; will there be a problem regarding warrenty work?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I've had a few problems with it, but only when I mess with the settings. Sometimes it will send the truck into failsafe mode if I change the timing too much or run E85.

If you need warranty service on your truck return it to the stock tune and remove the edge. Some dealers are cool with it, others will note it on your oasis report then they'll say it caused everything from brake problems to flat tires. Also, dealers will sometime reflash your PCM out of standard practice for troubleshooting. If your canned tune is on there it will be overwritten and you will need to return your unit to Edge for unlocking.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 PM
nagles '06
Freshman User
I have problems with my evo, rough idle and throws me into 6th real fast it wants me to do 50mph at 1200 rpms with never a down shift, engine is always bogged down

Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I've only seen 1 or 2 actual failure complaints about the Edge.

99% of the complaints I see with the Edge are User Error...much like what you yourself describe.

You might also want to look into the PHP Gryphon (Edge reboxed with custom tunes). I have heard nothing but glowing reports from them. And Bill & Cory take a hands on interest in their product.
Originally Posted by nagles '06
I have problems with my evo, rough idle and throws me into 6th real fast it wants me to do 50mph at 1200 rpms with never a down shift, engine is always bogged down
1st you said it was throwing you into 5th gear...now your saying 6th gear

do you even have a 04-08 truck?, or a 2009? what year?

and are you sure you have the proper Edge unit and proper software revision for your truck. There is a different Edge revision for each year...especially the 07 and 08's

btw, you are extremely hard to follow. Please take 1-2 minutes longer in typing so we can understand your fragmented typing a little bit better

Old 05-06-2009, 07:13 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tylus

99% of the complaints I see with the Edge are User Error...much like what you yourself describe.

You might also want to look into the PHP Gryphon (Edge reboxed with custom tunes). I have heard nothing but glowing reports from them. And Bill & Cory take a hands on interest in their product.

1st you said it was throwing you into 5th gear...now your saying 6th gear

do you even have a 04-08 truck?, or a 2009? what year?

and are you sure you have the proper Edge unit and proper software revision for your truck. There is a different Edge revision for each year...especially the 07 and 08's

btw, you are extremely hard to follow. Please take 1-2 minutes longer in typing so we can understand your fragmented typing a little bit better
I must have got ripped off. BOTH of my 08's only had/have 4 gears.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus

where can you get one of these tuners, and how much do they generally run? ballpark figure of course! (the gryphon)

Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 AM
442w30
Senior User
Google PHP. $400.00 +- for 3 canned tunes.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Supercrewzin01
Senior User
Thanks for the responses, I guess what I am most worried about is the warranty problems that could arise (especially since I have the ESP).

Old 05-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are really worried about warranty coverage if you have a programmer installed, then I probably would not install one. It's really up to the dealer whether they'll cover a problem or not if you have a problem. Stock, the burden of proof, so to speak, is on the dealer. With alterations such as a programmer, the burden of proof is on the customer. A lot of it depends on the relationship you have with your service department. But if a problem happens out of town, then all bets are off. That being said, Edge, Gryphon, and SCT are all excellent choices.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 442w30
Google PHP. $400.00 +- for 3 canned tunes.
ok i googled php, and came up with all kinds of crap except for the truck programmer! what do you mean by canned tunes? are they like a generic tune? if so are they made for the F-150 specifically? sorry kinda new to this
thank you for your help!
Rik

Old 05-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Canned tunes are generic tunes for all trucks with the calibration code the same. They are not tailored to the individual truck or user for the application. Kinda like a one size fits all deal. They work good, but can have glitches that can cause running issues or give codes. Custom tunes is the best way to go. That way everything is tuned to your specific application. Everyone on this forum seems to be really happy with the SCT X3 from Troyer Performance or the Gryphon from Power Hungry Performance.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 PM
442w30
Senior User
Sorry used PHP instead of Power Hungry Performance. I am getting the canned tune Gryphon for my 08 for now because I do not know what if any changes I will be making to my truck. There are a lot of posts about using a CAI with out a custom tune becauseof the possibility of running lean. Well worth the time to do some research IMOH.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 PM
ryan70asu
Senior User
Does anyone have rough idle or idle sensitivity issues with the Edge? I Have a stock motor/intake etc. and it seems like when running the level 1 or 2 on the tuner I have problems. Almost like the tunes that Edge uses needs to have a perfectly clean air filter/MAF/TB/TPS etc. or it wants to die at idle sometimes. This could have something to do with the AZ summer also? This is my first summer using the Edge. I realize that I should keep all these things I mentioned clean and up to par but lets be honest... there should be room for error here.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
If you don't have any problems running the factory tune I would contact Edge about the problem. They might have some updates for your calibration that will help.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:13 AM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

Originally Posted by bridge
I've had a few problems with it, but only when I mess with the settings. Sometimes it will send the truck into failsafe mode if I change the timing too much or run E85.

If you need warranty service on your truck return it to the stock tune and remove the edge. Some dealers are cool with it, others will note it on your oasis report then they'll say it caused everything from brake problems to flat tires. Also, dealers will sometime reflash your PCM out of standard practice for troubleshooting. If your canned tune is on there it will be overwritten and you will need to return your unit to Edge for unlocking.
@BRIDGE- That happened to me when they re-flashed my truck. All I had to do was call them up. The tech had me connect it via usb to my computer and he extracted all the data, saved it at the company in my file and flashed the new software on my unit. Apparently it had 3 'changes' since installing it in 05.

On the other hand, I've been running my truck on LVL2 for about 50k and ran on LVL3 for about 13k when gas wasn't so damn expensive...with no problems. My PCM always took about 25-50 miles to 're-learn' parameters but overall its been a great product. I still get 16mpg in the city with the tires I have on it.

BUT, I would say I'm in the market for the new EDGE but with the Gyrphon tunes on it. A buddy has the EXACT same setup (largely so we could get discounts when we upgraded at the same times) but with the Gryphon and I love the way his truck drives..every engine & truck is different, but be the 'i want factor' or not I like the Gryphon better.

Quick Reply: Questions regarding the Edge Programmer