Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Exhaust Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Junior User

303soul is starting off with a positive reputation.
y pipe for 5.4 super duty

what are the actual power gains after replacing/modifying the y pipe in a 2003 super duty, a certain website claims 35 hp on the dyno which seems a bit far-fetched to me, but besides a throatier sound are performance gains significant? My exhaust guy said he could do the modification for two hundred dollars; is it a worthwhile investment?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
The "somebody website" uses the same formula for figuring the K&N sticker and CAI add's 35 hp to the engine too! (grin).

Check out muffle flow test on the net- you might be alitlle surprised at the results of different mufflers. Yes, the y pipe could be better, does it help, sure, but considering the biggest flow restrictor is just down from there (the cat), how much good are you really doing? ya know what i mean.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Look on page 4 in this thread http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/82...-2v-dynod.html
Keep in mind the above thread is the 99' y-pipe on a V10. The 00'-04' y-pipe is a lot worse than the 99' y-pipe.

I would go with the SPD replacement y-pipe section. SPD Performance Just cut out the bad section and weld in the new SPD piece. You will then have an all mandrel bent y-pipe thats fairly equal length. You should notice a power increase. As for the 33hp 35tq claims not on the 5.4l maybe on the 6.8l at a given point in the rpm range.

If you want more power a good tuner can help a lot even on 87 octane. (See thread)
Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Junior User

cmullins is starting off with a positive reputation.
I put the SPD Ypipe and a flowmaster FM70 on my V10 and love it. Most noticable is the tip-in performance. Muffler guy charged me $110 to install both. IMHO - good mod and worth the money. Definately read the 5star thread. I bought the tuner and it is without a doubt the best money I have spent.

'01 250 SD XLT Ext Cab LB 4X4 V10 auto 3.73, 4" ProComp, Top Gun Customz dual stabilizer, 285/75/16 Bridgestone Duelers
S&B CAI, SPD Y pipe, Flowmaster FM70, SCT X3 Custom tunes by 5Star Tuning
Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Exhaust Systems

Tags
2003, 2007, 54, duty, flowmaster, ford, gains, hp, increase, pipe, resrictor, spd, super, superduty, v10