Which 429 pistons to use: Cast or forged?

Old 05-04-2009, 04:51 PM
bigdan1979f-250
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which 429 pistons to use: Cast or forged?

I am getting ready to rebuid a 1968 429 and was wondering what type of pistons to use. I know that the forged pistons are a lot stronger, but do I really need them? the motor is going in a playtruck but I dont ever plan on exceeding 5000 rpms. The motor will have 11:1 compression, assuming I dont have to deck the heads. Also was wondering if anyone has used the Lunati Voodoo cam and how it performs. One final thing, I need a rear sump oilpan to clear the front axle. I have found one out of a mid 80s truck. Will it swap over onto my 68? Thanks

Old 05-04-2009, 05:25 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on the oil pan yes it will swap over but you will need the oil pump, oil pickup tube and main stud to go with that oil pan.

the oil pump is different from front to rear sump, just get an oil pump from same year as oil pan. the middle main stud has a threaded boss on it to attach the pickup tube to. you will know what i mean when you see it.

as far as pistons, if you can afford them, forged is best, but they usually weigh more so that might cause some imbalance problems if you don't get the rotating assembly rebalanced with the new pistons. check with the piston manufacturer and your machine shop for their recommendation. cast pistons are fine if you are not going to crazy with hp levels, rpm and are never ever planning on adding Nitrous or supercharging the motor.

good luck
Mike

Old 05-07-2009, 11:03 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I totally agree with Mike. I would think the Cast would be fine but in the end it boils down to cost versus comfort level. I didn't build my 460 but I do believe I have cast and am not concerned at all as I am under 500HP and I am not going to run nitrous at all or a supercharger. Unless money is no object then go for it!lol

D

Search this Thread