Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Posting Guru

exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.
brake pedal switch information.

Does anybody have information about the brake pedal switch. I cant find anything about it.
I have to press the brake pedal very hard to turn off cruise control or put my truck into 4low. I would like to check the switch out but cant find out how It works etc. I've checked the fuse. I appreciate it.

Its better the world thinks your an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....
Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
It should be a really simple plunger switch just above the pedal.
Quote:
BRAKE LIGHT GREEN (+) @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
This wire should be cold normally and have 12v when you press the pedal. It should have 12v at very little movement.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 05-04-2009, 02:12 AM
Posting Guru

exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAX View Post
It should be a really simple plunger switch just above the pedal.

This wire should be cold normally and have 12v when you press the pedal. It should have 12v at very little movement.
As far as my brake lights is concerned light pressure activate them. Moving gearshifter out of park, shifting into 4L, or deactivating cruise is totally a pain in the butt.
Thanks for that info. I'll see what is up w/ mine.

Its better the world thinks your an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....
Old 05-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
My cruise requires a full moment of brake to cut out, the slightest fast tap is usually ignored by the system. The shifter has a solenoid just under the cluster that keeps you from taking it out of park unless it's powered up. I used to have some trouble with 4lo too, I found that putting it in neutral and bumping the steering wheel took off enough bind to go into 4lo quick and easy.

The brake would join all of these, but may not be the problem.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
The Brake Pedal Position (BPP) switch is two switches in one. There should be 5 wires coming from it. One switch is a single pole that operates the brake lights. The other is a double pole that sends a signal to the PCM (and cruise control module if you have one) to do things like break the cruise control, allow 4WL operation, etc.

I just replaced mine recently because it was doing exacly what yours is. Once I replaced it, an extremely light tap disengages the cruise. It's cheap and easy to replace.

Ford Part #F87Z13480AA. $13.44+shipping from Ed the Parts Guy (www.ftepartsguy.com). Or $24.89 MSRP from your local dealer.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAX View Post
My cruise requires a full moment of brake to cut out, the slightest fast tap is usually ignored by the system. The shifter has a solenoid just under the cluster that keeps you from taking it out of park unless it's powered up. I used to have some trouble with 4lo too, I found that putting it in neutral and bumping the steering wheel took off enough bind to go into 4lo quick and easy.

The brake would join all of these, but may not be the problem.
My problems is with my BPP. Untell lately just touch of my brake would cut out cruise or allow the gear shifter to move out of park or engage 4L. In all 3 componts I have to really push the crap out of the brake pedal to get results other than braking. If I was only having trouble w/ one compont I would assume it would be some other switch or relay.

dchamberlain, thanks brother for the info. I checked mine out the other day, and plunger seems to move fine w/ the brake pedal. I just think something is wrong w/ the BPP. I'll probally just buy it from the dealer unless the partsguys does COD. Its hard to find companies that does COD anymore, but anyway $25 and the problem gone isn't bad at all.
I had a guy monday evening that suppose to work at Ford to tell me to put a volt meter on the wires. That I would have a solid hot wire and one wire would go cold when the brake was pressed and the rest would be hot when the brake pedal would be pressed. Like I told him. That does me no good> When I pull over to test it the BPP might work right then.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
With what you're describing, I'd say there is at least a 90% chance that it's the BPP. Trying to test it with a meter would be a pain, but if you'd like, I can get you a wiring diagram. Given that it's most likely the BPP, and the thing is pretty cheap, I'd just replace it and see if it fixes the problems.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Posting Guru

dchamberlain, thats aight. I really believe that the BPP is the problem. I'm having trouble with everything it controls. I do appreciate it brother.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 AM