Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Junior User

scott0531 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1952 Ford Truck Bed

I know this question has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to find an answer using the search engine. I want to buy an entire replacement bed with the Ford Script Tailgate. Who makes the most accurate bed for a restoration project? I'm not hot-rodding the truck at all, just want a factory stock bed like my grandpa's.

Can anyone please help? I've heard about Mar-K....Does anyone know about the quality of their products?

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. Is anyone on this forum from the Memphis TN/Olive Branch MS area?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Senior User

mostly52f1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the search kinda sucks, plus i'm not sure, but i think new users cant use it.
anyway, i seen a bed on ebay yesterday, if you want to go that route.
i beliece bob drake also carries one...
1950 (late) - 1966 Bed Assemblies

experience is the name we give to our mistakes
Old 05-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Junior User

I really just want to bye a new if i can
Old 05-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior User

did you check out the bob drake link?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Junior User

Yes, I did. Thanks. They are a couple hundred higher than Mar-K and do not come with a tailgate. I remember seeing about a year ago someone that sold the whole kit minus bed wood and it included the tailgate. When our computer crashed a couple months ago, I lost all the links I had saved in my favorites. I really appreciate the link. I didn't know he has a lot of other items I will be needing for the truck.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Well, it's a little more complex than you might think.

First after reviewing your member page I discovered you had a 52 F1. That's important since the F1 carries the 6 1/2 Ft. "Pick-up Box." The F2 and up carried the 8 Ft "Express Box." They are different dimensions and configurations. The Express Boxes are not being reproduced anywhere and the only replacement sheet metal for them is in surplus beds or NOS parts for sale.

The good news is there are pars available for your Pick-up Bed or Reproduction Pick-up beds as well. Mar-K is a great place to start. They have top notch products, are made in the USA, offer free shipping, and have some wonderful and helpful people. We have a tech rep from MAr-K who posts here occasionally - "Mar-K Mark." (I wonder if he's getting pissed that I keep calling him that). They also carry a lot of the products associated withthe bed installation, wood products and a finishing tech library that is second to none.

Some of the other resto parts houses carry bed parts too. You won't have any problem finding a tailgate.

But beware, the tailgates on the earlier models are different (ever so slightly where they latch) as are the tailgates for the Express Box.

Also, the F1 back fenders for the Pick-up Box are wider than those that carried a Express Box by 2 1/2 inches. Lastly, the Express Box had paneled sides as did the Pick-up Box through mid 1950. After that, the pick-up box used smooth bed sides, and fenders that were appropriately no notched to fit the panels. To be "Correct" you would need a smoothed sided Pick-up Box on your 52 F1.

You may also be able to find a complete bed from a member here, or on e-bay.

Here is a drawing of the two beds. And another of the 6 1/2 ft Pick-up bed Specs
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

There are a number of links I have to the bed wood dimensions, etc. Once you get a picture of where you are going to get the bed, we can take the next few steps about that stuff.

Here, also, is the latest thread we had here on beds:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/84...cs-needed.html
Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Senior User

U sur R smart JuLie
oh, i might need some of those bed wood dimensions too.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior User

twise is starting off with a positive reputation.
northern classic trucks have everything in the bed kit including tailgate and bed wood. i was going to order from them but i heard alot of good about mar-k and they offered free shipping so i purchased the bed kit from them. no tailgate or bed wood but excellent quality. it arrived within a week and was packaged excllently. would buy from them again. npdlink.com which is national parts depot offers the 52 tailgate for around $375 i believe. good luck with your purchase.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Oh I don't know about smart, I just hang out here a lot and save every good thread to a link and pick-up on everyone elses "Smart" - Kind of like a Librarian! And as you will recognize after being here awhile, the same questions and answers seem to get posted and reasked - a lot.

Here's a good place to get some info - Earl's World. It's referenced in the thread. For the wood dimensions, scroll down to post #6. That's a lift from Earl's!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/80...s-pleease.html
Old 05-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Senior User

earls world is GREAT111!11! i spent a few hours there yesterday
(hey my shift key almost works again)

Old 05-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Posting Guru

Kusto is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
my script tailgate came from Mar-K and it arrived in great shape and required no prep work. Excellent quality.

1948 Ford F-68 - Built Ford Tuff with Chevy Stuff!!!!!
2008 GMC 3500 4X4 LWB CC, Duramax, SLT - Summit White, 3" Lift, 33"x17" Toyo M/T's, Fender Flares, Aries Bull Bar, PIAA Fog Lights
Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Junior User

Thank y'all a whole bunch! I will give Mar-K a call tomorrow and will try to post some pictures of the disassembly of my truck. Started with a whole truck this weekend, and am down the frame.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Senior User

twise is starting off with a positive reputation.
Send a personal message to: MAR-Ktech He is there at MAR-K and is on this site alot. He helped me quite a bit with questions I had. I recieved free shipping and 10% off also. Saved me quite a bit of money.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Freshman User

50f-1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I recently purchased a Mar-K bed for my late 1950 - same bed as 1952. I was quite pleased with the whole deal, quality of product, shipping (which was free via UPS freight) and instructions. One corner of one the flare sides was slightly bent during manufacture or shipping and required some attention but nothing serious. I bought back in March and in addition to free shipping got 10% off. I did not need a tailgate and . . . at the time they were not in stock so check and see if that is important. Tailgates are usually produced by a contract supplier so all the companies may get them from the same source. I think you would be pleased with their product and the shipping via UPS Freight means they will deliver to your house if the semi can get to your house or the driver will meet you at a pre determined location which is what I did and loaded it in my truck.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Junior User

Talked with Mar-K today, they said they do not carry the tailgates anymore. They do not have permission for the Ford script. They told me to get on the forum and ask other people where they got their tailgates and speak to whomever is recommended. (Like Dennis Carpenter, etc.)

They didn't mention anything about 10% off for being a member of this site, as was mentioned by some other members. They were very nice people and I made my decision to buy from them. Just waiting to see if someone on this site can tell me where to get the tailgate.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1952, 52, bed, classic, earls, f1, ford, kit, kits, pick, specs, truck, ups, wood, world