glycerine in finished fuel

Old 05-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Fett Affen
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glycerine in finished fuel

I am getting a small amount of glycerine fallout in my finished fuel. I have a 2004 F-250 and drained the fuel module and had 3 milligrams of glycerine.
I use a 2 stage method and let the second stage settle overnight, I drywash with purolite at less than the recommended flow rate. I noticed in my storage drums that after a week of sitting, there was a small amount of glycerine in the bottom, I would say a couple of ounces out of 55 gallons. I am concerned about the glycerine in the motor and what are the effects of that?
Dave

Old 05-04-2009, 04:19 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like incomplete conversion. Try using just a little more catalyst, or let it settle a little longer. Since I started using Magnesol I've never found Glycerol in any of my storage tanks............Glycerol is not good for any diesel, but it sounds like your filter is catching it.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Fett Affen
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am using 20% methanol, KOH at 7% base plus titration and adjusted for purity. When I do the shakem-up test, my water is cloudy which I am told is a sign of soap. It is my understanding that either too little methanol or too much catalyst causes soap, I found out about too little methanol by trying to cut back but had to rerun the batch. My 3/27 test passes everytime but now my problem is the soap issue. Next question, will the titration solution degrade with time and if so how long? My stock solution sits in the corner of my shop so it gets no sun.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fett Affen
I am using 20% methanol, KOH at 7% base plus titration and adjusted for purity. When I do the shakem-up test, my water is cloudy which I am told is a sign of soap. It is my understanding that either too little methanol or too much catalyst causes soap, I found out about too little methanol by trying to cut back but had to rerun the batch. My 3/27 test passes everytime but now my problem is the soap issue. Next question, will the titration solution degrade with time and if so how long? My stock solution sits in the corner of my shop so it gets no sun.
I use 7.8 as the base amount for KOH. Your "soap" issue has very little to do with the glycerol your seeing in your finished bio. Yes, your titration solution will degrade over time. Make a fresh batch, and test it against your "old" solution.