Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2009, 11:12 PM
New User

fishandgame is starting off with a positive reputation.
Front end knocking when I go over a bump

I have a 1999 F-250 HD Crew cab 4x4. When I hit a bump I have a knock on the driver side front end. I can feel it into the floorboard. I have done a visual inspection of the sway bar, upper and lower ball joint, lifted the truck and "tested" the hub for wiggle and see no visible issues. What is causing the knock? Help.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Senior User

krejci.mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
are you sure its not the sway bar bushings? I have the same problem and that's what it is
Old 05-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Postmaster

1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold
x2... sounds like sway bar and/or end link bushings to me too.....

2004 F250 Sway Bar Bushing Replacement

If you decide to replace those bushings, be careful of which kit you order. I think the 1999's might use a different kit than the one I mention in the above article.

Good luck!

Click - My Super Duty Tech Articles
1975 Baja Bronco Project
1984 Ranger 4x4 R.I.P Nov 2007
Old 05-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Elder User

enduro4231 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had this same issue with my truck and it turned out to be the driver's side lower rear shock bolt was worn down do the point where the shock would clunk in its mount, and the vibe was transmitted through the frame all the way up to under my feet. I too thought it was a sway bar end link but they were new, and I switched the bolt for a new stainless bolt, problem solved. I know it sounds unrealistic but it's what happened!
2002 F250 Lariat 5.4L, 4x4, Auto: 3" Magnaflow Exhaust; K&N Intake; SCT X3 w/ 5 Star Tunes; Leveled on 35" Road Ventures on MT Classic Lock wheels; Manual TC Lockup switch; FX4 Stabilizer; Recon Smoked Cab lights; Smoked Euro Tails; Line X wheel arches; Custom bumper and grill by me; 20% tint all around
Old 05-03-2009, 04:55 PM
New User

rock hugger is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would look at the trac bar mount where it bolts to the frame, they will loosen up and cause the noise.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hugger View Post
I would look at the trac bar mount where it bolts to the frame, they will loosen up and cause the noise.
Excellent first post!
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 05-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hugger View Post
Very well done. That don't happen often. Most of the first post is a question. Good job and hang around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
Excellent first post!
I agree Art. Great job.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandgame View Post
I have a 1999 F-250 HD Crew cab 4x4. When I hit a bump I have a knock on the driver side front end. I can feel it into the floorboard. I have done a visual inspection of the sway bar, upper and lower ball joint, lifted the truck and "tested" the hub for wiggle and see no visible issues. What is causing the knock? Help.
Welcome to FTE.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Senior User

josh04hdf250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am having the same issue! I have a 2004 PSD 4x4 with an ICON/Donahoe 4" lift and running 35" Toyos on the stock wheels. I just replaced the ball joints as they were bad (having vertical wear/up and down). I replaced with MOOG greasable BJ's....I didnt think that the ball joints were entirely the problem that is causing the knock, but i thought it might have some effect in reducing the noise. Now, with good ball joints, i'm curious to solve the issue. The sway bar end links that i have are the ICON extended versions and do not utilize the same bushing setup as the stockers. Anyone know where you can get a "polyurethane" or (whatever the better plastic/rubber bushings are made of) kit? Thanks. I'm fed up with the noise and am ready to go to the end of the earth to fix it...
  • 5% Tint...so U caint C up in my window...
  • Rockford component 6 1/2" Frnt
  • Alpine TypeR 6x9" Rr
  • JVC KW-AVX710 7" Indash
    • -Bluetooth adapter
  • Probox 04FSC350L-500 Bass
  • Rockford 800w Bass
  • Rockford 400w Highs/Mids
  • 4" DR kit
  • 35x12.5x18 Cooper STT
  • 24" Bosch Icons
Old 05-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Senior User

josh04hdf250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Icon reply

Content removed, according to your own copy-and-pasted text.

Based on your own posting, I had to remove this.

You could have just said "Icon said to try tightening the pan-hard bar" and "They said to try whipping the steering back and forth and see if it makes the noise".
  • 5% Tint...so U caint C up in my window...
  • Rockford component 6 1/2" Frnt
  • Alpine TypeR 6x9" Rr
  • JVC KW-AVX710 7" Indash
    • -Bluetooth adapter
  • Probox 04FSC350L-500 Bass
  • Rockford 800w Bass
  • Rockford 400w Highs/Mids
  • 4" DR kit
  • 35x12.5x18 Cooper STT
  • 24" Bosch Icons

Last edited by Krewat; 05-05-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Removed protected content.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Postmaster

Monster-4 is a splendid one to beholdMonster-4 is a splendid one to beholdMonster-4 is a splendid one to beholdMonster-4 is a splendid one to beholdMonster-4 is a splendid one to beholdMonster-4 is a splendid one to beholdMonster-4 is a splendid one to beholdMonster-4 is a splendid one to behold
Actually I think the 2003+ is 406 ft-lbs but either way it's a lot.

Red Head Steering gear box installation
Old 05-05-2009, 05:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2004, 2006, bar, bump, end, f250, f350, ford, front, hard, hit, icon, knock, knocking, noise, pan, sway