Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Advice on where to head next on my red truck this summer. . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on where to head next on my red truck this summer. . .

I'm feeling like spending some hard earned cash this summer

Not a whole lot though

Anyways, here is where I'm at and where I'm going till I anticipate hitting the big decision. . .

1) Finish solid axle swap. Attach sway bars, need to get the driver side brake rotor possibly turned. . .get an alignment and new lug nuts all around.

2) Saginaw Power Steering Pump conversion. The Cardone crap remaned that's in there now is so noisy I'm actually embarrassed bring it to the next meet

3) Full check up and tune up of every system on the truck. . .front to back, top to bottom. . .there is a lot of little stuff that I've neglected and it is just adding up

4) Hi-Po C6 transmission. . .working on that now, but it'll be a few months before it's done

Ok, so at this point I want to really make something of it. . .do I go:

Motor: I rebuilt the engine last year, it might have 2k miles on it. . .just about all stock, not a lot of fun to drive. . .it's stock carb'd.

I want to be able to scare children at bus stops when I drive by in the morning Might include a small turbo setup. . .

Lift it: 4"-6" lift, 38" tires, rims. . .reageared of course. . .traction bars, etc. . .cross over steering. . .

Just not sure which one would be more fun to drive. . .please, share opinions else it will never get done, lol. . .

Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Choice is between motor work or suspension work? I vote motor, nothing like the sound of a big screamer under the hood

Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
I like the way you think

I've been thinking about it myself. . .motor could semi-peiced together as it gets built up over the summer. . .lift and suspension almost needs to be done all at once which means the lift might not even be started till fall

I dunno. . .there are a few 460's at the junk yard I might pick apart. . .if I had the room I'd grab a whole motor but. . .

anyone got some spare room?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:28 AM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
You are a few hours away, but i got tonsssssss of room to store a big block... Looking for a 7.3 block to stash away and slowly start building as we speak

Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
ooohhhh, nice! But as I was taking it apart I started busting exhaust manifold bolts. . .after the fifth one broke off I left

got some brackets though. . .

what do you have planned for the 7.3?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 PM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Hmmmm, guess you'll have to drill them out.... did you try PB Blaster? It's pretty much magic.

7.3: my plan is to start with stock crank, WOP girdle, 910 valve springs, H11 headstuds, Crower or some other forged rod, Mahle pistons, and decent size injector, Termy dual HPOPs, lil other stuff. Pretty much a project for me to do front to back and call it "mine". Then again, finances must back all this up.