Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2009, 03:38 PM
New User

topcopsr is starting off with a positive reputation.
knock sensor location

I have a 2003 F250 5.4l. Can anyone give me an exact location as to where the knock sensor is. I think it is on the right side under intake. Do I have to take the intake off. How does this come off. The aftermarket doesn't look like factory. Please help.....
Old 05-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Postmaster

Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
It's located under the intake manifold in the valley on the left side (if facing the engine). The intake manifold has to come off but other then that it's straight forward you just need to remove it with a sensor socket.

As a side note what do you think is wrong with the sensor?

Red Head Steering gear box installation
Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 PM
New User

knock sensor

Thanks for the reply. Do I need any special gaskets or anything to take the intake off, looks difficult but don't know. I am getting a P0325 code stating that the knock sensor is bad so I was going to replace it. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Postmaster

Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
Basically remove everything attached the intake and then remove the intake. The biggest thing is the bolt sequence needs to be exact. Also you will need to clean off the old gaskets and replace them.

Below is a step by step from a Haynes manual I have. I paraphrased the steps because I am a lazy typer. I also included a pic of the bolt sqequence.

Removal:
1.) Relieve the fuel pressure.
2.) Drain the coolant.
3.) Remove air cleaner duct.
4.) Remove upper radiator hose from the thermostat.
5.) Remove the accessory drive belt.
6.) Remove the alternator.
7.) Remove the accelerator splash shield, cable, throttle return spring and bracket. Also remove cruise cable.
8.) Disconnect the Throttle Position sensor connector.
9.) Remove the IAC air tube.
10.) Disconnect the EVAP canister vacuum hose.
11.) Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose and the main vacuum harness from the throttle body
12.) Disconnect the IAC electrical connection.
13.) Remove the 4 bolts on throttle body and remove throttle body and discard gasket. You'll need a new one.
14.) Disconnect coil electrical connections and remove coils.
15.) Disconnect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose.
16.) Remove heater hose.
17.) Remove thermostat.
18.) Loosen intake bolts 1/4 turn in sequence.
19.) Remove intake and discard gasket.

Installation:
1.) Make sure you remove and clean all the old gasket off the head and intake.
2.) Install new intake gasket.
3.) Set intake in place making sure alignment is correct. Do not shift intake once lowered onto the gasket.
4.) Install intake bolts and tighten to torque spec in two phases and in sequence. First phase is 89 in/lbs and second phase is 18 ft/lbs.
5.) Remainder of installation is reverse of removal.

Hope this helps.

Name:  intake.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  168.5 KB

Red Head Steering gear box installation
Old 05-02-2009, 09:18 AM
New User

knock sensor

Hey thanks for the step by step info. Just one last question. Instead of doing this extensive work just to change the sensor could I just unplug the old one and relocate the sensor some where else. In the front ofd the motor in the V under the intake there are a few bolt holes that are empty that I was wondering if I could use them.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Some people have said all they had to do was remove the alternator to get to the knock sensor, not sure if that's possible on your truck.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 05-02-2009, 12:42 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
Some people have said all they had to do was remove the alternator to get to the knock sensor, not sure if that's possible on your truck.

I can't even see it or feel it so I'm not sure if that would work.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:42 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
03, 2000, 2002, 2003, 54l, 68, do, duty, f250, fault, ford, knock, location, sensor, super