Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Posting Guru

grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mark,

What are some average/normal operating temps?
And, what are the warning temps to watch for?

My truck has the stock cooler & gets plumbed into the radiatior/cooler as well. I watch my temps via an Aeroforce Scan Gauge.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Junior User

kidwagon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks again all for all that have responded in this thread. I just got back from another trip and everything went well. I drove a little slower, let it idle when I got home, let it cool down before backing in the driveway, and used 4-lo while backing up after disconnecting the esof. NO LEAKS!

Thanks for all the tips. I am still going to get some gauges, but haven't had time yet. Heading out for another week again on Tuesday.

Ryan
Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
New User

racewave is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a new 2009 F-350 V-10 Auto 4X4 bought june 09. Went from Florida to Denver with about 2000 miles on it. With the truck empty and on interstate at 65mph, after long slow climb out west I pulled up at a toll booth to find a smoke cloud and burning smell. Trans temp gauge was normal. Got off next exit and called Ford, they sent a flatbed towtruck and took me to the dealer. Trans fluid was leaking from top and down on exhaust. Dealer spent 6 hours with truck, ran diagnostics, lowered trans a bit to view top, said leak was from vent, they took a half quart of fluid out said it was overfill from factory or dealer prep.and sent me down the road. The next day I took delivery of my full size camper in denver. With some concern we headed into the rockys, then went up and down pikes peak, then back to Florida with the full load of the camper in the bed. A year later now and not a drop has leaked and no problems.

I had checked the trans dipstick on original delivery and about 100 times since and it has always looked the same, even after the half quart was removed. So who knows what went on.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
racewave, it's unusual to hear anything about the newer Torqshift trannies having any issues, but ... at least it was an easy repair
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Senior User

riverratmike is starting off with a positive reputation.
well finally going to take my SD in for trans service next week. Going to get a quote tomorrow. This problem has to be fixed. Nothing has changed. Still leaking trans fluid if I drive the truck more than 45 minutes in 90F temps. I'll report back in a few days with the damage
Long Bed Extra Cab V10 XLT
Old 06-28-2013, 03:10 AM
New User

5iceman5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
If it isn't leaking once it cooled down the seal is working again and should be fine until the next time it overheats.
i saw your posts, can you help, this is my situation: i own 01 ford expedition 5.4 auto trans 3 yrs ago i was at a border crossing and it took about 1 and a half hours to get through, well the tranny lost about 9 qts of oil i added 2 of lucas and 7 of oil, drove 900 miles and no leaks for 3 yrs. now it got over 100 degrees where i live and it is doing it all over. the last 3 yrs i only drove it two miles roundtrip to work so it never had a chance to heat-up, but now the wife has put it to use everyday and it leaks bad once temperature goes over 100. any suggestions, thanks
Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
My suggestion is to find out where it's leaking and fix the leak. I can't see the truck so I don't know where it is leaking. If it is the same seal that we are talking about in this thread then the trans needs to come out to replace it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 06-28-2013, 12:35 PM
New User

Quote:
My suggestion is to find out where it's leaking and fix the leak. I can't see the truck so I don't know where it is leaking. If it is the same seal that we are talking about in this thread then the trans needs to come out to replace it.
thanks mark, yes the leak is from the rubber plug on the bellhousing
tks
Old 06-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Then that is probably the torque converter hub seal. The trans needs to come out to change it. It's possible that the torque converter hub is damaged where the seal rides, and if it is, the torque converter will need to be replaced, too.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 06-28-2013, 11:03 PM
New User

Quote:
Then that is probably the torque converter hub seal. The trans needs to come out to change it. It's possible that the torque converter hub is damaged where the seal rides, and if it is, the torque converter will need to be replaced, too.

THANKS MARK,

I JUST HAD THE SEAL REPLACED
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Posting Guru

pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I would also recommend a Transgo Tugger Shift kit, it made a world of difference on my 2002 and also my'97. Any decent tranny person can drop the pan and install in just a few minutes.
2008 F-250 V-10 4X4 Lariat, Supercab/Shortbed, Pueblo Gold/Black, Loaded, Custom Front/Rear bumpers from South Texas Outfitters,Duraflaps, Access bed cover, Weatherguard, Air Raid, Mike's 5-Star-SCT(BAD!!), Superhides, TransferFlow 47 gal tank, Rigid LED lights, Mag-Hytec rear dif cover, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Magnaflow,Firestone Airbags,Fumoto Drain Plug.
2007 Lincoln LT-wifers(Mike's 5-Star,Magnaflow,K&N, STO Monster Bumper)
1996 Bronco EB-Almost Stock,STO Monster Bumper
Old 06-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Senior User

truckfella is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.truckfella is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Pappy: can you elaborate more on how it made a world of difference please?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Posting Guru

pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Definate firmer shifting, also some of the plastic parts are replaced with nylon or metal in the kit along with better springs. The kit comes with a plate. I am not a tranny person so I can not give you the details that someone with that knowledge can, but Transgo has been making shift kits for 40 years. I tried my first Transgo on my 1975 Chevy with the 350 tranny. For the price, you can't beat the results. I also have it installed on my 1996 Bronco.
2008 F-250 V-10 4X4 Lariat, Supercab/Shortbed, Pueblo Gold/Black, Loaded, Custom Front/Rear bumpers from South Texas Outfitters,Duraflaps, Access bed cover, Weatherguard, Air Raid, Mike's 5-Star-SCT(BAD!!), Superhides, TransferFlow 47 gal tank, Rigid LED lights, Mag-Hytec rear dif cover, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Magnaflow,Firestone Airbags,Fumoto Drain Plug.
2007 Lincoln LT-wifers(Mike's 5-Star,Magnaflow,K&N, STO Monster Bumper)
1996 Bronco EB-Almost Stock,STO Monster Bumper
Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 AM