1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F47 Canadian Born

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:50 PM
kmule
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F47 Canadian Born

Hello to all,
Being a newbie I was advised by Julie to start here. I am now the proud owner of a 49 F47 delivery van. So far it seems to be without too much rust and runs but drives like a truck. It has that wander steering that some have already mentioned in this forum. My first thought on making it a local driver would be to convert to disc brakes up front and move to a 12 volt system. Any advice as to how to procee will be welcome. i have started a gallery of pictures.

cheers,
kmule

Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome to the board! Panels are great.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 PM
kmule
Freshman User
Thanks Havi,
I've seen you name throughout the forum. Any suggestions on where to start will be helpful.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Welcome

You have a wonderful start to a very nice project, looks as though there has been some work done to it in the past but a very clean start, congrates and welcome aboard.

John

Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM
-Jim G
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome kmule!
I looked through your gallery pictures and I think you have a great looking truck. I have that 'wander steering' too. I like it to drive like a truck, but I think that I am going to work on making the steering a bit better this summer.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 PM
kmule
Freshman User
Elder & senior

Thanks guys,
I guess the age of my machine has dated me. I'm older than it is. I like it driving like a truck but have seen articles on the toyota steering mod and that might make it a better daily driver. I drive the back roads and would like to get it up to 55 and not hit the guy in the other lane.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:31 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Nice starting point

kmule;

Looks like you scored big; tighten up that steering and drive it !
I've got a '50 F47; power steering, rack and pinion, but haven't road tested it yet, hopefully this summer. I'm going for the same color scheme, which I believe is original coloring.

Later

Tom

Welcome to FTE !

Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Ken, are you sure that's a F-3? I looked at your gallery pictures but I could tell if your wheels were five or eight lug. I've hear of a couple F-2/3 panels but have never seen one or sales literature referring to one. If your truck is a F-3 then converting the eight lug wheel system is a little harder than an five bolt F-1. There are conversion kits for the F-1, none for the larger trucks that I know of. Do a search for Oilyowl, he's sold his truck and hasn't been on the board for some time but he converted the front brakes on his F-2 to disc. He gallery has, or at least had, pictures of the procedure to do it. Also, in some of his posts he lists the parts. There are one of two others that have done it but I can't remember who. If you do the search you should be able to find them.

Since you have so few posts you won't be able to use the site search, it doesn't very well anyways, but you can use Google:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ternative.html

Old 05-01-2009, 12:35 AM
RedZombie
Junior User
I agree with Bob, an F-47 is an F-1,which your panel is badged. There was no F-2 in Canada. An F-3 would have been a F-68.
So with all that aside, Disc brakes are a simple bolt on kit, availible at many braking companies. Just slide the old brakes off the spindle, slide the new one on, tighten nut and you have disc brakes. Just remember to empty your wallet first.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hello again, and Welcome Again!!!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 06:36 AM
kmule
Freshman User
Bob & RedZombie,
I checked the lugs and I've got 5 so it is the 1/2 ton variety. I haven't as yet measured the lug radius but it is nice to know that disc brakes will wok. It might mean some cash now but less work for me if I come up with a busted front end. Anyone know the best way to come up with turn signals? That might get my rear end around here.

Thanks to all who have made comments as I can use all the help.
cheers,
kmule

Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Wiring a panel truck for signal lights are a little easier than conventional cabbed trucks because you already have dual filament lights on the back. With a little work you can convert the front parking lights to dual filament lights by replacing the contact plates inside the light sockets. You will have to buy an after market turn signal switch with seven wires, don't buy one with only five wires. The seven wire switch splices into your brake like circuit, with the five wire switch you'll need an additional set of rear lights, one set will be used for turn signals, the other for brakes.

Here is how the seven wire switch works:

Old 05-01-2009, 08:18 AM
kmule
Freshman User
Bob,
thanks for the info. It looks rather simple and since I have all this room I know I can get to the wires. Do you have a source for the switch as I am new and haven't got the best trail yet for shop manuals, suppliers, etc. I also need a left front door handle and some diagrams on how the door mechanism works. It is hard climbing in from thepassenger side. (LOL)

Again Bob thanks for your help

Old 05-01-2009, 08:36 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
You should be able to find the turn signal switch at good auto parts store, or if you have a place nearby that service big trucks they might have them.

The door handle is easy, go to one of the many vendors who sell reproduction parts. Dennis Carpenter, Dennis Carpenter Ford Car, F-100 Pickup Truck, Tractor and Cushman Scooter Restoration Parts, is the main reproduction parts maker but you can go to the side of this page, about midway down and check out some of the vendors who sponsor the FTE site. They might also have the turn signal switch.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:34 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
sure is a puuurdy panel! I'm jealous!
i've been away for a couple days so everythings gonna get bumped up lol
good luck with your build, your allready on the right trail by being here. !

Quick Reply: F47 Canadian Born