Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

Need locals for some input

Old 04-29-2009, 10:16 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Need locals for some input

You guys that are close to Johnstown/Altoona could probably give me a hand with this one. I posted some pics in the gallery of my Explorer. 3 of them highlight the rust issue I've got at the rear doors. Since I've got no garage here, working on it myself is out of the question, so I've been chasing around body shops to repair it. I want it fixed right - not a bondo job - since the rig is still in pretty decent mechanical order and overall good shape (and paid for...the "no car payment" feeling is kinda nice...lol).

I got one shop to give me a price ($1900 - yeouch), and just about any other shop I've talked to won't do rust work. Have any of you all dealt with anyone that might do rust work, does GOOD work, and can be reasonable from the money standpoint? I'd really like to start dealing with this sooner than later, especially with state inspection creeping up soon.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 PM
PatsPOS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I could help! Back when I worked at Freedom Ford, there was a service writer that went into business in Nanty-Glo with a buddy of his...that dude was a hell of a good body man. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with a name for the shop, but then again, I haven't tried very hard. Then there's Mike Kos up in Gallitzin...he does fine work when he wants to (read: his own stuff), but most of his work is just above average, and he's pricy, too.

I've been DIYing bodywork for about five years now, and I still suck at it...otherwise I'd try to help!

Pat

Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

I bet I know who the guy is from Freedom - Luciano's on Eisenhower gave me the $1900 quote and rumor has it is that he's from the Nanty Glo area.

One of the guys I train with gave me a name that I'm going to try and check out tomorrow and he's out on Beulah outside Ebensburg...small shop there. Just not too many do rust work anymore, which pretty much sucks for me. Especially given what has to be done on it, which will involve welding and crap that I don't have the skill or resources to do here.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ever think of just replacing the doors? guy in altoona that only usedto sell at the shows, but with the economy now, he sells year round.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

The doors aren't the problem - it's the dogleg/rocker panel area below the doors.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 AM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
now is your price for just grinding off the rust or new panels thos exp rockers are known for rusting out to the point of nothing

Old 05-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most body shops don't do rust work anymore because everyone wants a garantty with it and the only thing you can give is a garantty it will come back. Have you tried looking at JC Whitney for the repair panels which I have also seen people actually glue on with urethane. Not joking here either

Old 05-02-2009, 08:29 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
yeah my room mate was talking about that new urethane stuff -they used it at the body shop he worked at-sounds pretty cool! probably still won't guarantee the work though if it's a rust issue-I'm with Dave do it your self-if ya got the talent and tools how hard can it be

Old 05-02-2009, 09:30 AM
tin-man
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jr32560
yeah my room mate was talking about that new urethane stuff -they used it at the body shop he worked at-sounds pretty cool! probably still won't guarantee the work though if it's a rust issue-I'm with Dave do it your self-if ya got the talent and tools how hard can it be
, Yea, How hard can it be!!! Hey Jr

Old 05-02-2009, 11:24 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Originally Posted by silver05fx4
now is your price for just grinding off the rust or new panels thos exp rockers are known for rusting out to the point of nothing
The price was for tearing the panels off and putting new on. Contingency made for having to tear more than expected also.

Originally Posted by 80351
Most body shops don't do rust work anymore because everyone wants a garantty with it and the only thing you can give is a garantty it will come back. Have you tried looking at JC Whitney for the repair panels which I have also seen people actually glue on with urethane. Not joking here either
I hadn't gotten that far yet - but urethane? You're kidding, right? I've never heard of that, and for some reason I just don't see how that would work. I guess it does or otherwise it wouldn't be on the market.

Heck, I'd be willing to sign a waiver and forfeit the warranty side of it because it's rust work and I know it comes back eventually, no matter how good the fix is. I just don't want a bondo job - this deserves better, in my mind.

I would have to borrow any tools also...I'm not body-shop equipped here at all...lol. I'm even down on the mechanic's tools I'd like to have right now but I have the basics.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:08 PM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
so is that price for one rocker and dog leg and the back hatch ? + paint work ? and how much paint work?

also glueing on panels is very common in body shop, bed sides, rockers,cab coners, quarter panels and door skin all get glued on. the glue used is as stonge as weld and also if done right will not rust at the edge like a welded on panel

Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Originally Posted by silver05fx4
so is that price for one rocker and dog leg and the back hatch ? + paint work ? and how much paint work?

also glueing on panels is very common in body shop, bed sides, rockers,cab coners, quarter panels and door skin all get glued on. the glue used is as stonge as weld and also if done right will not rust at the edge like a welded on panel
The full estimate is in the truck, so I'll come back to that part, in basic the 2 doglegs (right and left), remove, replace, paint, as well as some spray inside the door jambs (rusty) and touch up around the gas fill. Dude didn't want to mess with the hatch.

I'll have to look into that glue. If I can get the pieces I might be able to tackle some of this. Welding was a huge holdup for me even attempting to work on it - I've got no welding tools, skills nor a place I could go to do it.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 PM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
well even if you do try it your self and glue the panels you still take all the same step as you would if you were going to weld it

Old 05-04-2009, 08:11 PM
tin-man
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make SURE you get the part, before you start cutting!!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Yeah, having the wrong part would pretty much ruin my day.

This rainy spell here has kept me away from it, but at least it gives me opportunity to shop around for the parts. Plus now I've discovered I've got a friend back in the area who is able to do this kind of stuff, so maybe this won't be so bad after all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need locals for some input