Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #16  
Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 AM
brickie's Avatar
brickie brickie is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: AB/BC
Posts: 3,073
brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.
I just put studs in an 04,the gasket showed no signs of being blown. The water jacket had penatrated the gasket at the block,in places the coolant was within millimeters of the combustion chamber.After seeing this I would never consider replacing the head bolts with studs without removing the heads and cleaning the seating surfaces.
__________________
03/04 6.0L 350 Crew ,DRW,ZF-6, XLT fx4, EconoMax injectors, Autometer Fuel, Boost & EGT. Fass 95/90, Sct X-III with some sweet Spartan tunes, ARP studs, RR fuel system, Southbend FB8, Fluiddamper, Ali Arc hunting bumper,Light Force, Ride-Rite helpers,Ford APCM and some other stuff.
03 6.0L Ex LTD mostly stock,05 6.0 CC srw SB, 95 f250 4x4 woods truck, 68 f100 project
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 PM
04redstroker's Avatar
04redstroker 04redstroker is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 362
04redstroker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im plannin studs in the near future on my truck. I will be pullin the heads and gettin them decked though. Only problem is that i have an 8in lift, so pullin the cab might end up bein easier.lol but i might try pullin the front clip and droppin the motor down.
__________________
06 F350 6.0, white, ext cab, short bed, 35x12.50 fierce m/t, 20s, stock for now
04 f350 6.0, 8in fabtech, 38x15.50 kumho m/t on 20" XD revolvers, 5in straight piped, sct w/ tsd tunes, s&b intake, 20% tint (sold)
05 cummins 487 rwhp (sold)
68 dodge d200
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-30-2009, 11:46 PM
joe blow's Avatar
joe blow joe blow is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,026
joe blow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joe blow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cart,

right...just an analogy.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-01-2009, 12:56 AM
thado's Avatar
thado thado is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15
thado is starting off with a positive reputation.
The EGR -I would not have Neil Technologies upgrade it, better recykle it and delete it for good. I put my ARP in without pulling the heads but pulled the cab. Itīs a 2007 and had only 1k. miles when it was done. I removed the bolts and torqued the ARP studs in a similar way as described. I would be to chicken to consider replacing the head bolts with studs without removing the heads on an 2004 or 2005 PS. I did the EGR delete simultainuasly.I even pulled the elect. plug on the EGR valve before leaving the Ford dealer when I bought my dream-machine.No soot into my PS. Now I have a SCT tune. Pulling the cab was no issue.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 AM
DSMMH's Avatar
DSMMH DSMMH is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,107
DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thado View Post
The EGR -I would not have Neil Technologies upgrade it, better recykle it and delete it for good. I put my ARP in without pulling the heads but pulled the cab. Itīs a 2007 and had only 1k. miles when it was done. I removed the bolts and torqued the ARP studs in a similar way as described. I would be to chicken to consider replacing the head bolts with studs without removing the heads on an 2004 or 2005 PS. I did the EGR delete simultainuasly.I even pulled the elect. plug on the EGR valve before leaving the Ford dealer when I bought my dream-machine.No soot into my PS. Now I have a SCT tune. Pulling the cab was no issue.
Thanks for the EGR cooler suggestion but it is already a done deal. My upgraded cooler is on it's way from the left coast. I just prefer to leave the EGR stock.

I guess I don't follow the "chicken" logic for you putting your studs in at 1K miles and me putting mine in at 75,000 miles. As long as I have no HG issues going into the swap, I should get the same results you did. Why would it be different?

I pulled the plug on my EGR when I bought my X. It had 13,000 miles on it so my intake is almost soot free also. I'm definitely going to check and clean the intake before I install it.


DSMMH
__________________
04 X LTD: 4X4, 6.0L, ROUSH CAI, TAG, X3/Custom Tunes, Auto Meter EGT, FP & Boost Pilar Gauges, ARP Studs, NT EGR Cooler/Exhaust Flow Deleted, Zoodad, MBRP T-Back (No Cat), Bilstiens, Hawks, DBA/Hawk Rotors, Prodigy, Remote Start, Fuel X Over Line, AD2, Banjo Bolt Mod, PML Tranny Pan, Coolant Filter, 250 AMP Alt Upgrade, Red-Head Steering Gear, MOOG Steering, Landyot Radius Rods, Firestone Air Bags, Mag-Hytech Diff Covers, 2nd CCV Line, Russell Brake Hoses, Ed's FICM Update, RP Synthetic Lubricants, AR 9100 Friction Modifier.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 AM
joe blow's Avatar
joe blow joe blow is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,026
joe blow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joe blow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
DSMMH,

Did you consider performing a crank case reroute yet?

I did mine with alot of other things. I wouldn't be so concerned with a little soot over the RIDICULOUS amounts of oil that is pumped into your turbo, intake, intercooler tubes and intercooler.

I was amazed at what I found only after 38k. To this day, I open the drain petcock on the CCV reroute cannister and get atleast a tablespoon every few weeks. Alot more if I really work the engine while towing heavy loads.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-01-2009, 06:21 PM
dcaddi2's Avatar
dcaddi2 dcaddi2 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sarasota, fl
Posts: 711
dcaddi2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dcaddi2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post
I just put studs in an 04,the gasket showed no signs of being blown. The water jacket had penatrated the gasket at the block,in places the coolant was within millimeters of the combustion chamber.After seeing this I would never consider replacing the head bolts with studs without removing the heads and cleaning the seating surfaces.
Just like Brickie said, it is one risky game you played with leaving the old gaskets. I hope they work out fine for you, and I wish you don't have to redo the job again.
One thing I just don't get, is why did you save a couple hours and like $100 on the gaskets, and like $80 on the machine work, and not go all the way?! You've had the perfect chance.....
__________________
'03 F250 6.0 Lariat CC LB FX4, 4" Turboback Stainless Exh., ARP Studs, EGR Delete, Banks High Ram Intake/ stock filter, SCT X3 Innovative Custom Xtreme Tunes , CCV reroute, Dieselsite Coolant filter, Fumoto valve, High Idle Mod, Autometer Boost, EGT, Fuel Press. gauges, Zoodad Mod, Suncoast 5R110 ,
'57 Jeep CJ5 ****** Lots of Mods
'79 Pontiac Trans am
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-01-2009, 08:53 PM
pjwoolw's Avatar
pjwoolw pjwoolw is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Ramon Ca.
Posts: 3,164
pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.
EGR upgrade

Here a link to the EGR cooler upgrade for those interested. Only half way off topic.
__________________
Pete in San Ramon
2005 F250 6.0 Lariat 4x4 CC Short bed (stock)
1997 F250 7.3 XLT 4X4 Reg. cab 1.0 housing Banks wheel AC injectors T500 Farmers Diesel pushrods Diamond Eye 4" exhaust DP F6 chip Electric fuel S@B intake

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 PM
DSMMH's Avatar
DSMMH DSMMH is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,107
DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaddi2 View Post
Just like Brickie said, it is one risky game you played with leaving the old gaskets. I hope they work out fine for you, and I wish you don't have to redo the job again.
One thing I just don't get, is why did you save a couple hours and like $100 on the gaskets, and like $80 on the machine work, and not go all the way?! You've had the perfect chance.....
Why? Because that is what everybody else does.

I proved to myself that I did not have to remove the motor, cab or HVAC unit to install studs or remove the heads like others have done. This gives all who need to replace HGs or install studs, especially X owners, another option. Money is not an issue. It became a challenge and principal thing with me. 35 years in the military directing the repair of nuclear submarine propulsion systems will do that to you. I believe they call it "being hard headed"! It's like the bank robber on the ground looking at Dirty Harry's 44 Mag wondering if he fired 5 or 6 times. The robber said "I gots to know"! CLICK!

If I had of removed all of the headbolts and then installed the studs, I would agree that pulling the head would have been the prudent thing to do. Now the HG integrity has been compromised. By installing the studs one at a time, I did not compromise the OEM HG seal integrity.

Also, by installing the studs, I feel I will have a better chance of not having major engine issues down the road. The OEM bolts will stretch over time that is a fact because they are undersized and are exposed to a very harsh environment, especially if a tuner is used. Studs will not stretch, therefore, they significantly reduce my risk of major engine issues down the road. If that were not true, everyone would not be replacing OEM headbolts with ARP studs.

THADO did it with only 1000 miles on his 6.0. He did not pull the heads and installed them similar to how I did it. Apparently he has had no problems. I firmly believe that if you have no HG issues before you elect to install studs, then you should be able to install studs without removing the heads at any mileage.

My EGR cooler is suppose to be back by 6 May. So I should have my X back together the end of next week. But since that is Mother's Day weekend, maybe not. I will post what happens when it happens.

Thanks, pjwoolw, for EGR cooler upgrade link.

DSMMH
__________________
04 X LTD: 4X4, 6.0L, ROUSH CAI, TAG, X3/Custom Tunes, Auto Meter EGT, FP & Boost Pilar Gauges, ARP Studs, NT EGR Cooler/Exhaust Flow Deleted, Zoodad, MBRP T-Back (No Cat), Bilstiens, Hawks, DBA/Hawk Rotors, Prodigy, Remote Start, Fuel X Over Line, AD2, Banjo Bolt Mod, PML Tranny Pan, Coolant Filter, 250 AMP Alt Upgrade, Red-Head Steering Gear, MOOG Steering, Landyot Radius Rods, Firestone Air Bags, Mag-Hytech Diff Covers, 2nd CCV Line, Russell Brake Hoses, Ed's FICM Update, RP Synthetic Lubricants, AR 9100 Friction Modifier.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-01-2009, 11:59 PM
joe blow's Avatar
joe blow joe blow is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,026
joe blow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joe blow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Man.....I didn't know it was that much of a hearfelt issue.

I don't think anyone here is questioning your decision to replace the studs without r&r'ing the headgaskets....it just seems odd that someone that goes through so much trouble wouldn't do it 100% correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-02-2009, 09:47 AM
69cj's Avatar
69cj 69cj is online now
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,636
69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
Concerning the EGR cooler, I have seen threads on this site stating that Ca. will start diesel emission testing next year. If they start it here it is a matter of time before it hits you. If not for cleaner air they will do it for the added income.
__________________
2015 Platinum F-350 loaded with White metallic ext. and Pecan int.
2005 F-250 Lariet-SOLD
"69 Mustang, Mach 1, 428 CJ, Ram Air, Stock
2007 FHLP H.D. Road King
2007 Thor Jazz 5er, 11k dry weight, 31'
173rd Abn. RVN.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Skoda's Avatar
Skoda Skoda is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada, ON New Market
Posts: 528
Skoda is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMMH View Post
Why? Because that is what everybody else does.

I proved to myself that I did not have to remove the motor, cab or HVAC unit to install studs or remove the heads like others have done. This gives all who need to replace HGs or install studs, especially X owners, another option. Money is not an issue. It became a challenge and principal thing with me. 35 years in the military directing the repair of nuclear submarine propulsion systems will do that to you. I believe they call it "being hard headed"! It's like the bank robber on the ground looking at Dirty Harry's 44 Mag wondering if he fired 5 or 6 times. The robber said "I gots to know"! CLICK!

If I had of removed all of the headbolts and then installed the studs, I would agree that pulling the head would have been the prudent thing to do. Now the HG integrity has been compromised. By installing the studs one at a time, I did not compromise the OEM HG seal integrity.

Also, by installing the studs, I feel I will have a better chance of not having major engine issues down the road. The OEM bolts will stretch over time that is a fact because they are undersized and are exposed to a very harsh environment, especially if a tuner is used. Studs will not stretch, therefore, they significantly reduce my risk of major engine issues down the road. If that were not true, everyone would not be replacing OEM headbolts with ARP studs.

THADO did it with only 1000 miles on his 6.0. He did not pull the heads and installed them similar to how I did it. Apparently he has had no problems. I firmly believe that if you have no HG issues before you elect to install studs, then you should be able to install studs without removing the heads at any mileage.

My EGR cooler is suppose to be back by 6 May. So I should have my X back together the end of next week. But since that is Mother's Day weekend, maybe not. I will post what happens when it happens.

Thanks, pjwoolw, for EGR cooler upgrade link.

DSMMH

I've done the same last year to my truck on the passenger side with out pulling the head, drivers side had a cooked exhaust valve so it had to be removed. When the ARP's were installed I had 135 000 klms now I'am almost at 150 000 klms with no change in compresion before and after the install. But time will tell right
__________________
99 F-250 Lariat project Cat3406 13speed
02 CAT 420D
10 Nav L "OOOOOuuuuuu the party bus"
05 CAT 302.5
04 25' featherlite gooseneck
13 F-550 XL 6.7PD(4.88 gears?!?!)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-02-2009, 07:49 PM
DSMMH's Avatar
DSMMH DSMMH is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,107
DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
Concerning the EGR cooler, I have seen threads on this site stating that Ca. will start diesel emission testing next year. If they start it here it is a matter of time before it hits you. If not for cleaner air they will do it for the added income.
Yeah, I hear you. With State budgets in a world of hurt what better way to generate income then require all vehicles up to a certain weight to have an annual emmisions test. CA is just the start so I'm going to be prepared. It's coming!

DSMMH
__________________
04 X LTD: 4X4, 6.0L, ROUSH CAI, TAG, X3/Custom Tunes, Auto Meter EGT, FP & Boost Pilar Gauges, ARP Studs, NT EGR Cooler/Exhaust Flow Deleted, Zoodad, MBRP T-Back (No Cat), Bilstiens, Hawks, DBA/Hawk Rotors, Prodigy, Remote Start, Fuel X Over Line, AD2, Banjo Bolt Mod, PML Tranny Pan, Coolant Filter, 250 AMP Alt Upgrade, Red-Head Steering Gear, MOOG Steering, Landyot Radius Rods, Firestone Air Bags, Mag-Hytech Diff Covers, 2nd CCV Line, Russell Brake Hoses, Ed's FICM Update, RP Synthetic Lubricants, AR 9100 Friction Modifier.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 PM
elee3 elee3 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 613
elee3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.elee3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
DSMMH,
Were you a nuke MM? I'm a former a-ganger. Most people on here, or most anywhere, would find it hard to really understand the level of attention to detail that comes with being a bubblehead mechanic. And that's not meant as anything negative against those posting critical comments on this thread.
__________________
Lee
2012 F250 SD CC SB Fx4 Lariat 6.7 PSD
1995 F150 XL 4wd 5.0
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-03-2009, 12:21 PM
joe blow's Avatar
joe blow joe blow is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,026
joe blow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joe blow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
elee3,

I am not sure why you would have to be a nukeMM to have attention to detail.....I mean I understand it is critical to do so when working in that field....but not sure what that has to do with having "attention to detail".
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:21 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Correct torque for water pump and pulley Sparkplugless 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 3 07-10-2013 10:14 PM
Correct Wheel Bearing Procedure? - Dana 50 TTB mechelement Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) 11 09-17-2010 07:02 PM
Replacing Head Bolts with ARP Studs Question DSMMH 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 18 07-10-2010 09:11 AM
ARP Stud Final Torque ? DSMMH 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 17 04-07-2009 10:19 AM
ARP stud/head bolt installation 46yblock Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368) 8 07-19-2007 12:28 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
60, arp, cab, change, diesel, head, install, installed, leaving, lift, oil, on, pump, replace, stud, studs, torque

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up ŧ





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŪ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup