Bought a bike today

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:30 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Bought a bike today

Hello all,

Believe it or not, I have taken up bike riding recently despite my right knee going on strike and not bending more than 60 degrees. I found I could ride a bike but would only be able to pedal with my left leg. Yes it is slow, and seems hardly worth the trouble except even pedaling that way gets me home in half the time, compared to walking, on those weekend nights when the buses stop running at 6:30 pm and I get off work at 8 or 9 pm. I had used a friends mountain bike a few weeks ago, and got home in 20 minutes.

So I rushed right out and bought my own mountain bike (with full suspension no less) from Wal-Mart. Prior to this, I had not ridden a bike since before the accident 11 years ago. Anyway to make a long story short, I joined an online bike forum and was told by pretty much everyone there, that department store bikes are junk. Too heavy, lousy quality, etc, and full suspension bikes lose a lot of pedaling efficiency because of the flexing rear shock.

So I went to a few local bike stores in the area, and ended up buying a "comfort" bike instead of a mountain bike (I returned the Mongoose bike I bought at Wal-Mart to help me afford the new one). This bike is so smooth, and easy to pedal it is like night and day compared to the Mongoose. And the best part about it is that I got a $478 bike for only $315 because it is a 2008 model and they discounted it to get it out of the showroom! They also threw in a free water bottle, and cage too.

It is a dark blue (looks black in the photo, and even in person, you have to get up real close to see that it is blue) and gray, and feels like one of those old cruiser bikes with the balloon tires, cushion seat (this one has a shock absorber under it!) and raised handlebars. I can't wait to ride it home this upcoming weekend.

Thanks to the people on the bike forum I have also been able to find a guy who shortens cranks (the arms the pedals are attached to) which may allow me to pedal a full 360 degrees with my right leg. That would basically double my speed, and riding enjoyment if it happens. Might even allow me to pedal up hills too. In any case, I am stoked about my new found mobility (or possible mobility with the shortened cranks).

Now where did I put that lawnmower engine?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:01 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good deal Jim.

Get a good bike lock for it as well, years ago I rode mine down to 7-11 left it in front of the store, came out in time to just catch a kid jumping on it and trying to pedal off, when I yelled at him he got so flustered he dumped the bike and ran.

if I'd have been 5 seconds slower getting out of the store, I'd have lost the bike.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Know what you mean. I have a lock for it already, but will be upgrading to a better one as the funds permit. I learned my lesson the hard way. When I was in the service I bought a brand new bike from the local bike shop. And had it all of 32 days. I had taken it back to the bike shop for its 30 day tune up, and two days later while out riding I stopped at a Burger King for lunch. I did not lock up my bike figuring I would only be a minute or two. When I came out, it was gone. There was a kid staring at me while I was in line getting my food, and I think he was the "look out" for his buddy who stole the bike.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Hey, great deal on the bike. I always forget how I like riding a bike and then am pleasantly surprised when I get the chance. The best part is you can do your own repairs in your living room. I doubt you do that with your Ranger.
Get a helmet. Your brain is worth more than the $40-50 that the skid lid will cost you.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Yeah I have always enjoyed biking, and am really pleased that I can still do it. I too like the idea of doing my own repairs in the living room, and it does not cost a fortune for the parts. I already have a helmet. Wouldn't ride without one.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:11 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nighteyez, cool on the new bike.

Which bike forum did you join?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Hmm, lost the picture. Here is a new link.

I joined www.bikeforums.net, I usually check out the Clydes forum (for riders 200lbs and higher), the commuter forum, and the fifty plus forum, but have also posted in car free, and the regional forums under Northern California. Same nickname Nighteyez.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Nice bike.

Looks like it's easy on your back too.

I'll have to check out that site.

Cool on the 'Clydes' and over 50 forum; just my area of age and weight.

I should dust off the ole mountain bike and start riding again.

I am a member of http://fatcogs.com/ but haven't been on for a while.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

There are quite a few people on the forum (especially the 50+) that have not ridden in awhile, and have taken it up recently. Yeah the Clydesdale/Athena forum is where I hang out the most. Lots of cool people in there, and most of them are riding to lose weight. So I fit right in.

Yes, this bike is definitely easy on my back, but also smoother than the MTB I had. The frame of the Mongoose was heavy, and slowing me down, along with the rear suspension. I just figured a heavy frame would be able to deal with my added weight better. However, since I don't plan on doing any mountain bike riding, there is no reason to suffer from all the cons of a MTB when I can't enjoy the pros.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:12 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sierraben

Ya know, I should pull my Mountain Bike down soon...but seems like it'd be too much effort.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Your get up and go, got up and went eh?

Old 05-10-2009, 04:18 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Your get up and go, got up and went eh?
That sometimes happens when you hit the ½ century mark.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:54 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sierraben
That sometimes happens when you hit the ½ century mark.
I hit the 4/10ths mark last month and feel the same way.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:09 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by fastmover
I hit the 4/10ths mark last month and feel the same way.
Well happy belated 4/10ths of a century birthday.