1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking in front end while turning when not moving

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
dcaprio
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Creaking in front end while turning and not moving

Hello all. I am a new Ford Truck owner. I just purchased a 2003 F-250 Super Duty with 5.4L, 4x4, 78K miles. I am having trouble troubleshooting a problem with the front steering/suspension. Whenver I turn the wheels when the truck is not moving or moving very slowly, there is a God-awful creaking sound coming form the front end. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is making the noise - ball joints, U-joints, anything else. There is no play in the ball joints. I can't really figure out how to test the U-joints. The sound is almost like a loud rubber creaking noise, not really a grinding noise. It does seem to be coming from the PS pump.

Also, when it rains or snows, the noise is not there at all. Only when dry and when turing when stopped or moving slowly.

Any ideas would be greatly aprpeciated before I start throwing parts at this beast!

Thanks again!

David

Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Save your parts David! Imagine the same noises coming from a nearly new 5200 mile 5.4 SD 250. Since new. From what I can gather from these threads, 3 dealers now, and my very trusted 97 ranger mechanic, Ford has the NOISIEST power steering pumps and creakiest front suspension components in the industry. I can't say for sure this is what you're experiencing but it sure sounds identical to mine. Some mornings (cold) I want to open the hood and open fire with my grease gun but, alas, virtually no grease fittings (because permanently lubricated front end components are SOOOO RELIABLE). Give me back my MOOG and zerks.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 AM
dcaprio
New User
Thanks for hte input, sounds liek it may be hopeless...

Today I tried spraying the ball joints and U-joints with soem PB Blaster. No luck. Still creaking and whining! Any other suggestions.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:56 PM
brownja
Junior User
Try to minimize turning when not moving.
If you don't have steerageway on, don't turn the wheel.
I know that's not always possible to avoid, but it is very hard on the steering components.

Cheers,
jb

Old 04-29-2009, 02:56 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey jb
My dad used to tell me that way way back in the 70s while teaching me to drive. When I'm here in Chicago, its almost impossible to avoid a "dry turn" with all the narrow streets and alleys and parallel parking spots exactly 2 inches longer than my SD. You're right though.
Ed

Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by dcaprio
Thanks for hte input, sounds liek it may be hopeless...

Today I tried spraying the ball joints and U-joints with soem PB Blaster. No luck. Still creaking and whining! Any other suggestions.
You need to have someone in the truck doing this while you hunt around for the noise with a piece of hose to your ear

Old 04-29-2009, 03:20 PM
dew the thunder
Elder User
Very possibly could be the leaf springs. Whenever I start hearing creaking noises under my truck I spray my springs down with some WD40 and it seems to go away.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:49 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Have you greased your front end lately. There's only 4 zerks so it's pretty easy. Don't forget it could be a tie rod end....

Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the way you describe it it is most likely the ball joints. Have some one turn the wheel while you bounce the truck a little and see if the noise changes.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:40 PM
frontco
New User
David
Start looking at Ball Joints. if anything like mine and two others that are in my family they are lucky to make it past 60k and once they started squeaking no amount of grease would stop them. I took the lazy mans way and dropped it at a local mechanic for the day and 550.00 after it was all quiet again

Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 PM
onephinesuperduty
Senior User
sounds like ball joints, my f150 and crown vic both did the same thing. Keeping my fingers crossed on the SD! Good Luck!

Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
dcaprio
New User
Thanks for all the info. I did grease all the zerks up front and they were just the tie rod ends. I will try spraying hte leaf springs and see if that helps. I am just worrying that it may be the ball joints. Not really on the mood to do al lthat work. Will follow up soon.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 PM
dcaprio
New User
Still squeaking, maybe getting worse. Anyone try using a needle on a grease gun to shoot grease directly into the joint and see if that quiets it? That would definitely point to ball joints.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 PM
ironmine
Senior User
They are pretty tightly sealed .... don't know how you would get grease in there.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:28 AM
FourbynFord
Senior User
just experienced this and found that it was cured with a simple greasing of all the front end suspension/steering components. Lubed them up and the problem disappeared.

Quick Reply: Creaking in front end while turning when not moving