Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2002, 01:14 PM
Junior User

rdahl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tranny Diagrams

Is there an online resource where i can get an exploded view of my tranny's internals? I have a 2000 F-150 2wd with the 4R70W tranny and found a part in the bottom of the pan i would like to know where it came from.

My tranny wasn't shiffting into third so i dropped the pan and found this plastic cylindrical cone piece with and O ring around it sitting at the bottom of the pan. I must have spent an hour trying to find where it came from then dicided to put it back together without the piece and take it to the shop tomorrow. Well it works fine now, the only thing i can think of is that this piece was stuck in the intake and keeping enough fluid from being sucked into the system? But what does this plastic part do????
Old 10-16-2002, 04:30 PM
Freshman User

greymule is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post Tranny Diagrams

Sounds like a shipping/packing plug. It's installed in the filler tube until the trans is filled, when it's "poked" down into the pan & the dipstick is installed.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:48 PM
Junior User

Tranny Diagrams

So i'm assuming that my tranny problem unless fixed by changing the fluid still exists.

You would think that Ford would have a better procedure than to just push the filler plug into the tranny.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:07 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Tranny Diagrams

Why? That procedure has been working for 20 years that I know of. The only problem seems to be people that have never seen one think they have a problem.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-17-2002, 12:00 PM
Freshman User

greymule is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post Tranny Diagrams

I'm wondering if this was the procedure in select models only over the last 20 yr. It's been too long since my first C6 & AOD fluid & filter change for me to remember. I do remember the trip to the Trans shop the day of my first filter change in the electronic STANG in '94!!
Old 10-17-2002, 01:16 PM
Junior User

Tranny Diagrams

If it ain't broke then don't fix it? Just because it's been the way for 20 year doesnt make it the best way.
I'm just assuming that the original production method taught was to pull the plug out, hence the long tab on the backside "perfect for pulling on", but the easier way is to just push it in. Now let me ask you this...who do you want building your truck, someone doing it the easiest way or somone who will do it the right way???
Old 10-17-2002, 10:49 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Tranny Diagrams

The process has been to push it in for a long, long time.

What harm can that plug do in the pan? Other than scaring newbies the first time they drop the pan!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-18-2002, 09:02 AM
Post Fiend

FortyFords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tranny Diagrams

Yup Mark it scared the ##### out me back in 80 when I did my first
tranny fluid change on my motorhome.

Rich

Old 10-18-2002, 12:16 PM
Post Fiend

MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.
Tranny Diagrams

Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 PM
New User

sixgunner is starting off with a positive reputation.
So....
Does anyone know where I can find any schematic,diagram,exploded views of this tranny?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Postmaster

stuart1 has a good reputation on FTE.stuart1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Right here!

Transtar Industries, Inc. - Catalogs
Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 PM
New User

sixgunner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you very much!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 PM