6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

took off my Banks cold air intake

Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
elcasador1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
took off my Banks cold air intake

Well lets see. Recently added the Banks cold air intake/ Banks duals exhaust on my 08 F250. Love the products but started to notice that when my truck would go into regen that the instrument cluster message panel would say "cleaning exhaust filter" without ever seeing the Drive to clean exhaust filter or cleaning exhaust filter complete. Most importantly and what bothers me the most is that this situation has happened several times but no smoke comes out of the pipes and it seems that the truck never goes through the full regen and I say this only because I see no smoke nor the "cleaning exhaust filter complete". Now being that I haven't seen any smoke going on a few weeks, I took off the cold air intake and replaced it with the stock one to see if it goes through the regen process. Just seeing if there is a change. The blk smoke gives me that warm and fuzzy and tells me that it is burning the soot properly. But I dont know and a little help would be helpfull. any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by elcasador1; 04-27-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Banks cold air intake/ Duals exhaust
Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 PM
jaybread
Senior User
R U Serious?

You should never see any smoke out of the exhaust of an 08 or newer SD. Ever.

If your truck were not completing the regen, it would eventually stop running, because the diesel particulate filter (DPF) would clog.

If your regen messages are weird, maybe you need a reflash. I had to have mine done twice.

If you aren't watching closely, the regen complete message flies by fast.

Bottom line---Black soot from exhaust means your DPF has failed. You need to see a dealer soon.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:20 PM
elcasador1
New User
Thats odd that you say that. I have had the truck for about a year and 1/2 and it would smoke around every 400 miles. Now ford said that this was normal and that the smoke was the soot being burnt throught he DPF. Shortly after I put the Intake/ Duals is when I started to see the change....no smoke.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:12 AM
PHXDiesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by elcasador1
Thats odd that you say that. I have had the truck for about a year and 1/2 and it would smoke around every 400 miles. Now ford said that this was normal and that the smoke was the soot being burnt throught he DPF. Shortly after I put the Intake/ Duals is when I started to see the change....no smoke.
I'm not sure why you aren't seeing any black smoke with the banks parts, but you should *never* see smoke stock. I've had my 2008 for over 2 years now and have never seen anything other than the "white smoke" with the early ECU firmware versions. I never see any smoke at all with the recent firmware versions.

I would imagine your tailpipe is probably black as well? If I took a picture of mine right now, you'd think it was brand spanking new. No black soot at all. Some dirt, but no soot. I don't clean it either.

Seeing black smoke = broken DPF.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:21 AM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
They're right, your dealer is feeding you BS like countless others. Black smoke means a F'ed up DPF, no other possibility.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:06 AM
elcasador1
New User
Well, just dropped off the truck is at the ford dealership. I left the stock air intake on just for the hell of it. The tech said that the can go into the computer and see where the truck is at as far as the regen process. I am thinking that the Banks air intake has nothing to do with the problem that has been occurring and will probably reinstall it after i see the truck go through the entire regen process according to the instrument message panel. Any suggestions

Old 04-28-2009, 04:45 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,405 Likes on 1,001 Posts
banks is not the problem I have had mine on for quite sometime. No smoke, message display indicates "cleaning exhaust filter". When complete the compete message goes by quickly.

Pipes are clean as a new born baby's butt. You should never see black smoke. Air cleaner and the DPF/cleaning exhaust are not even related.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My job 1 '08 is supposed to have the latest flash and it does tell me "cleaning exhaust filter" on the message center. I have never seen the "cleaning exhaust filter complete" message. Does it go away really fast, like, if you blink you'll miss it? I really think that mine won't display that specific message. I have lots of seat time in that thing!

To the OP, mine used to blow out crazy white smoke every 5,000 miles or so. Stopped after the latest flash. I did throw out some smoke (white) when one of my EGT sensors went bad and threw the PCM for a loop for a while. There are air pressure sensors in the exhaust to tell the PCM to go into regen. When the backpressure reaches a limit, regen happens. Any chance your Banks exhaust is messing with those sensors? I can't remember where I read the values but we are talking about very sensitive stuff. The info is around here somewhere. If I find it, I'll post the link if you are curious.

Last edited by ruschejj; 04-28-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: content
Old 04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
elcasador1
New User
Ruschejj, I picked up my truck today with no luck from the dealership. Although the tech did say that he believes that it was one of the sensors in the exhaust...3 to be exact. I was told to drive the vehicle until it displayed the "cleaning exhaust filter" message again then take the truck back to ford so that he could hook it back up to the computer to better identify what sensor it is, that's if it is indeed one of the sensors. I would appreciate it if you would post that link if you do come across it.

I was always under the impression that the white smoke was to be visible while the truck is in the regen mode. from what I am getting through this forum is that with the new reflash the smoke is somewhat eliminated and only seen every so often. My truck just recently got the new reflash so that might explain that issue.

I will however continue to drive the truck with the stock CAI until I return it back to ford and see if the messages appear in the information panel in order. Needless to say I love my truck and these F250 are awsome. Thanks for all the help

Old 04-29-2009, 11:01 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Well i've never seen any smoke at least that i've noticed. I'm running the banks cold air now and love it. Been using it for the last 1500 miles or so and no problems. Let us know what your dealer uncovers.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You apparently have a job 1 truck. Originally the job 1 trucks would smoke a lot during regens. However Ford has since found a "better" way of achieving the same results during a regen without all the smoke. 2nd, you obvioulsy have the latest flash because your message center is displaying the regen process. So my guess is that your truck quit smoking during the regen at the same time you got the reflash done. That was one of the reasons for the reflash on job 1 trucks.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 PM
jaybread
Senior User
Usepa

Just tell the dealer you are going to contact the USEPA and Ford's regional office (listed as contacts in emissions warranty booklet) regarding your truck failing emissions by discharging soot.

You will get your truck fixed very quickly.
Black smoke=EPA violation

Old 04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
The OP is concerned that his truck is NOT smoking during a regen. If I am reading correctly, it used to smoke during a regen and now it does not so he is concerned if there is a problem with the regen since it doesnt smoke anymore.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:24 PM
jaybread
Senior User
The OP implies that the 08 F250 used to smoke during regens and then it quit after installing the Banks stuff, which is unrelated to the DPF.

If it was smoking before it still should be. (because quitting is so hard?)

If it isn't smoking now, then why am I here?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:35 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jaybread
If it was smoking before it still should be.
Unless it quit smoking due to the reflash instead of the banks intake. We wont know until the OP chimes in but Im guessing he had the reflash done and then installed the Banks intake around the same time. The Banks intake shouldnt change the regen at all so I think its just coincidence but Im just speculating at this point.

Originally Posted by caprang
my guess is that your truck quit smoking during the regen at the same time you got the reflash done. That was one of the reasons for the reflash on job 1 trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: took off my Banks cold air intake