6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

took off my Banks cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:32 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Okay elcasador. I have been searching with no luck. Somewhere somebody posted info that provided sensor data, voltage ranges and values to trigger a regen. These were air pressure sensors and gas temperature sensors. I will rack my brain to figure out where I read that stuff and let you know as soon as I can. Sorry to bait you and then provide nothing. It's around, just have to try to REMEMBER! I hate it. I can see the number, words, letters in my head!

Anyway, you should never see smoke now. As you can tell, everyone knows that the trucks used to smoke, now they don't with the latest software. I'll be back later, I hope with some interesting stuff for you. Other guys posted here should remember the stuff I'm talking about, unless I read it somewhere else. It was a guy who quoted stuff from the Ford manuals, really "legalese" sounding stuff.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Info from PowerstrokeHD, knowledgeable poster!

These are trouble codes with explanation, some of them may be of interest to you. There are several posts like this from this guy. He is real helpful. I 'm just throwing this stuff at you so you can get an idea of the sensors in your exhaust system. Hope it is interesting to you. The links below are some threads you may want to read. Just search for trouble code P2002 and you'll get a lot of info about the DPF system.

i'll say it again, PowerStrokeHD is the guy who seems to find all this great info. This is all copied from one of his posts back in November.

P0297 - Vehicle Overspeed Condition

Detailed Description...
This DTC is set when the vehicle speed limiting conditions have been encountered which is 153 km/h (95 MPH) for F250/F350 vehicles and 130 km/h (81 MPH) for F450/F550 vehicles. The powertrain control module (PCM) limits vehicle speed by limiting fuel when these conditions are met. Fuel is limited only to prevent the vehicle from being operated above the respective speeds and once the vehicle is operated below these speeds there is no limiting.

Possible Causes...
Vehicle driven at a high rate of speed

Diagnostic Aids...
Indicates the vehicle has been operated above the calibrated limited vehicle speed.

P115A - Low Fuel Level - Forced Limited Power

Detailed Description...
Fuel level information is sent from the instrument cluster to the powertrain control module (PCM) on the communication link. If an excessively low fuel level input message is received by the PCM from the instrument cluster, the PCM limits the fuel rail pressure (FRP) and sets DTC P115A.

Possible Causes...
Empty fuel tank
Fuel conditioning module circuitry
Fuel tank control module
Instrument cluster
PCM

Diagnostic Aids...
Monitor the FLI PIDs with key ON, engine running. A concern is present if the FLI percentage PID is at 25% and the FLI voltage PID is less than 0.90 volt with a non-matching fuel gauge.

P2002 - Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Detailed Description...
The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the efficiency of the diesel particulate filter for a concern. The efficiency of the filter is determined by the amount of restriction in the filter for a certain exhaust flow rate. The diesel particulate filter is preconditioned for 5,000 km (3,107 miles) before the PCM begins to monitor the level of restriction. The test fails when the measured level of restriction is less than the expected level calculated by the PCM.

Possible Causes...
Dirty air cleaner element
Recent manual or thorough diesel particulate filter regeneration
Aftermarket accessories and performance modifications
Modified tailpipe
Exhaust leaks before or near the diesel particulate filter pressure sensor
Leaks in the diesel particulate filter pressure sensor connecting hose
Damaged diesel particulate filter

Diagnostic Aids...
Check for leaks in the exhaust system. Check for aftermarket exhaust accessories and performance modifications that decrease the exhaust restriction. If a new diesel particulate filter was recently installed, verify the diesel particulate filter parameter reset procedure was carried out.

U0100 - Lost Communication With ECM/PCM - TCM (Transmission Control Module)

U0101 - Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module (TCM) - Instrument Cluster (IC)

U0115 - Lost Communication With ECM/PCM - Secondary (SPCM) - TBC (Trailer Brake Controller) Module

Old 04-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Gcapell
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Senix, I had an error code come up on my Banks IQ today. P0927 vehicle overspeed condition. I'm not sure what this is all about and every time I google this code I can't find anything that tells me what it is and if it's serious and what the fix is. Any suggestions. Thanks

Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
go to your max value screen. There is will tell you temps and speed/rpms. How fast were you going?

It is a Ford code that is stored, does not hurt anything. You should be able to clear the code but it will stay in the history.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Gryfox23
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Okay elcasador. I have been searching with no luck. Somewhere somebody posted info that provided sensor data, voltage ranges and values to trigger a regen. These were air pressure sensors and gas temperature sensors. I will rack my brain to figure out where I read that stuff and let you know as soon as I can. Sorry to bait you and then provide nothing. It's around, just have to try to REMEMBER! I hate it. I can see the number, words, letters in my head!

Anyway, you should never see smoke now. As you can tell, everyone knows that the trucks used to smoke, now they don't with the latest software. I'll be back later, I hope with some interesting stuff for you. Other guys posted here should remember the stuff I'm talking about, unless I read it somewhere else. It was a guy who quoted stuff from the Ford manuals, really "legalese" sounding stuff.
What is this software and reflash stuff y'all are talkin about?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:04 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
3 year old thread!!!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Gryfox23
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok. Still didn't answer my question.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
start a new thread. its an old thread and id bet some have moved on (6.7) and wont see your question in this thread.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I don't know much about the latest engine programming ford has for the 6.4 engines but there are many helpful 6.4 folks that do, just be patient and somebody will help you. This is an old thread so the info is obviously dated.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:58 PM
18powerstroke
7th Gear
Originally Posted by PHXDiesel
I'm not sure why you aren't seeing any black smoke with the banks parts, but you should *never* see smoke stock. I've had my 2008 for over 2 years now and have never seen anything other than the "white smoke" with the early ECU firmware versions. I never see any smoke at all with the recent firmware versions.

I would imagine your tailpipe is probably black as well? If I took a picture of mine right now, you'd think it was brand spanking new. No black soot at all. Some dirt, but no soot. I don't clean it either.

Seeing black smoke = broken DPF.
ON the 08 they only had the egr and diesel particulate filter and cat so in the case of that you would have some black smoke that would be emitted due to not having a doc and scr to farther catylise to what you see on the 6.7l powerstroke

Old 05-26-2021, 05:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
No....no black smoke with the 6.4 with emissions intact. Black smoke equals a cracked DPF.