2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
ggwash21
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil

Ok who uses it and what gains have you seen? I used it when i first bought my truck and didnt notice much but i did have a bad tranny. Im giving it another try and going from there....

Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
I use it. I like it cause It allows me to change it every 25000 miles and we have never had a problem with any of our vehicles. We run them in 4. We actually put regular oil in my sisters car last and then the motor went. I dont know about gains besides the time you change the oil.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to the Ford owners manual and any other make for that matter, you change the oil at their recomended intervals (wish they had a spell checker on this site) no matter what kind of oil you use. Back in the 1980's I had a '79 Olds Cutlass. I changed the oil every 6 months with 4 quarts of petrolium oil (NAPA (Valvoline)) and 1 quart of ATF. That car had 105K on it when my daughter quit driving it. Never added a quart of oil between changes. We sold it and later learned that it got T-boned at an intercection in Spokane. Don't know how many miles were on it by then.

My point is, I don't buy the synthetic hype.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
I run amsoil in my truck and my Harley and have never had a problem. As previously mentioned, the extended drain interval is the best part. There are no noticeable gains of any sort to be had by using Amsoil other than the interval period.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Still Smoking
Elder User
I have never had to add oil in between intervals. The oil also looks brand new when it is changed also. I would recommend it to anyone

Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguy4
...with 4 quarts of petrolium oil (NAPA (Valvoline)) and 1 quart of ATF...
Why the tranny fluid in the engine?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 PM
rebelyell618
Elder User
i believe the trans fluid was for additional cleaning power when it was put in engines. something along those lines if i remember correctly.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Spades
Junior User
Ive read that there are detergents in the ATF that help to clean sludge and other deposits. There seems to be a lot of people that swear by this method but Im too afraid to give it a shot...just doesnt feel right

Old 04-28-2009, 10:16 PM
442w30
Senior User
Just my take, but leaving oil in a engine for that long just invites problems because of the condensation that naturally occurs. If the vehicle is running constantly and does not allow the buildup of condensation that is one thing but to just leave oil in for that amount of time just does not make sense to me. IMHO

Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Why the tranny fluid in the engine?
Just what a couple of the other guys said. ATF is a real hight detergent oil plus it would help keep seals soft. I don't use it these days though. I understand that the "SM" oil has all those qualities now anyway.

As for extended oil change intervals, our local paper runs a column every Saturday called "Drive It Forever". Mike Allen who writes for Popular Mechanics answers questions in this column. Someone wrote in some time back asking about this very thing. Mike Allen said that even though the oil is synthetic, it should never go longer than the manufactures recomended oil change intervals because just what 442w30 said. The oil gets contaminated with condensation, unburned fuel which is acidic, etc.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 PM
magnet1
Senior User
I am a firm believer ever since my '97 F250 went to the shop. The original owner had Amsoil in from day one and when I bought it I used the same oil to be consistant. At 180,000 miles I had a head gasket go. The shop pulled my head and the oil pan. That evening I got a call from the service manager at home asking me what kind of oil I used; I told him and asked him if there was a propblem. He told me that if he had not known how many miles where on my truck, he would of thought the motorcame out of a truck no older than 3 to 5 years. He told me whatever I was using, kep using it because he was totally blown away at how clean and sludge free my truck was. I use it in all my vehicles, cycle, chain saw, and mowers. They use a different base to the oil that will never cause sludge, something that even Mobil 1 doesent have. If you have any problems with warranty coverage, they will even go to bat for you in court if need be. There tranny fluid is good for 100,000 miles and shows to run signifacantly cooler than stock. I have noticed a difference in oil pressure, Its cheaper in the long run, and runs cleaner than anything else out there. I am not a salesman or profit from them, I am just a believer in their products. Dont be scared of the 25,000 mile oil change because I have diesel friends who get a year and a half on theirs, and they send samples in every three months to have it checked.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
So what does it do with the condensation and blow-by? My oil looks pretty new still, but I only have 4300 miles on it. I'll be changing it at 5k, even though the book says 7500 now. How much does the Amsoil cost per Qt?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM
magnet1
Senior User
Its hard to keep track because the prices have been going up and down. The last time I got oil it was around $8.00 a quart and the filters run about $15.00. You should use their filters because of the smaller micron filtration. Changing over to Amsoil will slowly pull the dirt and clean out your motor as it filters through, so the first filter should be changed at 10,000 miles instead of letting it go for the full 25,000 or 1yr. Even at the higher prices, compared to changing your oil every 3, there is huge savings. If you go to an Amsoil dealers website, they can send you a whole packet of info. with every product they offer as well as current prices.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Originally Posted by magnet1
I am a firm believer ever since my '97 F250 went to the shop. The original owner had Amsoil in from day one and when I bought it I used the same oil to be consistant. At 180,000 miles I had a head gasket go. The shop pulled my head and the oil pan. That evening I got a call from the service manager at home asking me what kind of oil I used; I told him and asked him if there was a propblem. He told me that if he had not known how many miles where on my truck, he would of thought the motorcame out of a truck no older than 3 to 5 years. He told me whatever I was using, kep using it because he was totally blown away at how clean and sludge free my truck was. I use it in all my vehicles, cycle, chain saw, and mowers. They use a different base to the oil that will never cause sludge, something that even Mobil 1 doesent have. If you have any problems with warranty coverage, they will even go to bat for you in court if need be. There tranny fluid is good for 100,000 miles and shows to run signifacantly cooler than stock. I have noticed a difference in oil pressure, Its cheaper in the long run, and runs cleaner than anything else out there. I am not a salesman or profit from them, I am just a believer in their products. Dont be scared of the 25,000 mile oil change because I have diesel friends who get a year and a half on theirs, and they send samples in every three months to have it checked.
I agree I was scared at first about 25000 miles between changes. Everytime I change the oil it looks brand new. With it that clean you know how clean your engine is going to be.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:01 AM
magnet1
Senior User
Yep, Yep,...Like I said I am no salesman, But I like their products. You ought a try their 2 stroke oil. My chainsaw has never smoked since I changed over, and the gas you leave in there from season to season doesen't seem to go bad anymore. I am also considering taking measurements and replacing my intake filter out of my S&B CAI with a dry one from Amsoil. They are supposed to be pretty good, What do you think??

Quick Reply: Amsoil