Sponsored by:

Window wont roll down? Learn from me

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
v8xploder
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window wont roll down? Learn from me

I wish I could have found this information first before I spend the better part of an afternoon checking things....

I have an 87 and 92 full size broncos and both in the last month have had rear window problems. My 87, was the motor connection that clips right on the inside center of the tailgate. I pulled the connectors out and squeezed them with a pliers a bit and cleaned them and also used dielectric grease on them.

My 92 quit working and what I should have done first was use a jumper wire with male connections on the safety switch. (drivers side of the tailgate right next to the key switch) I tore the dash apart and checked wiring everywhere and the circuit breakers before I did all of this. If your motor does not work at all, key or dash switch jump the safety switch first and save your self some headache.

The only fall back is that the window will roll up or down when the gate is open, and how often is that really going to happen? big whoop!

After I jumped the safety switch everything worked great till i put it back together and it didnt work. Low and behold it was the motor connection at the center of the tailgate just like my 87.

Oh and if your window is stuck down just grab a battery, jump in the back and bring (2) 3' pieces of standard automotive wire and use two vice grips to connect them to the battery posts. Connect 2 male wire connectors to the other ends and you can unplug the window motor connector and go up or down as you please by reversing the wires. (unless your motors burned out, this is a good way to check it either way) Or you could also use a battery charger. it would be lighter to climb in the back with anyway

Just check the easy things first. Dont be like me.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Zrock
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another good one is to give the motor and hardware a good spay of lube... Similat problems started tering things apart the other day and found that all the safty switched had been bypassed already. Found i had power to the back.. So just for giggles i sprayed everything down with luble and just started to rock the switch up and down. Finaly things broke free and rear window works like a charm... A couple of hours of messing around when it could have taken me 10 min and could have taken the top off sooner...