F450 Super Duty Towing Capacity? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:
Advertisement

F450 Super Duty Towing Capacity?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-27-2009, 01:51 PM
DMoor5 DMoor5 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
DMoor5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
F450 Super Duty Towing Capacity?

At the risk of sounding stupid - I have a 2008 Super Duty F-450 and I am seeking some clarity on towing capacity: I read towing on the hitch at 16,000lbs and on a fifth wheel at 26,000lbs is this the gross number and do I have to subtract the weight of the truck and trailer from this to get load capacity? Excuse my ignorance on this - any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
12ozd's Avatar
12ozd 12ozd is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 1,842
12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold
Your weight ratings would include total weight for the trailer + cargo.

Has nothing to do with the truck weight...trailer/cargo weight only.

Sorrry ..Welcome to FTE !!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
DMoor5 DMoor5 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
DMoor5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
F450 Super Duty Towing Capacity?

Thank you for the help - it has been a long time since I towed anything and your reply gives me a good place to start. Thanks from the new guy!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM
senix's Avatar
senix senix is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 26,453
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
towing guide can be found here:Ford Trucks: Super Duty 2009 Cargo Box & Exterior Dimensions. | Ford Vehicles

Click on the towing tab
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
edjunior's Avatar
edjunior edjunior is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Roman Forest, TX
Posts: 1,296
edjunior is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.edjunior is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, 12ozd is partially correct. There are actually 2 weight ratings you need to concern youself with. There is the max trailer towing weight rating (this is where you get the bumper trailer vs. a 5th wheel weight rating). There is also the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). This is the weight of all things together (the Gross weight).

So, IAW the towing guide provided by senix, the max trailer weight you can have period is 16000 pounds. The GCWR is 33,000. With the 5th wheel, the max weight is 24,600 pounds, and the GCWR is still 33,000. Keep in mind, these are the max weights period. Different configurations give you different ratings. With the F-450, there aren't but two different configurations that make a difference in the weight ratings...4X4 or 4X2, and Automatic or Standard tranny.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
12ozd's Avatar
12ozd 12ozd is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: No.Va.
Posts: 1,842
12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjunior View Post
Well, 12ozd is partially correct. There are actually 2 weight ratings you need to concern youself with. There is the max trailer towing weight rating (this is where you get the bumper trailer vs. a 5th wheel weight rating). There is also the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). This is the weight of all things together (the Gross weight).

So, IAW the towing guide provided by senix, the max trailer weight you can have period is 16000 pounds. The GCWR is 33,000. With the 5th wheel, the max weight is 24,600 pounds, and the GCWR is still 33,000. Keep in mind, these are the max weights period. Different configurations give you different ratings. With the F-450, there aren't but two different configurations that make a difference in the weight ratings...4X4 or 4X2, and Automatic or Standard tranny.
Since he asked about hitch and 5th wheel capacity,no need to bring gcvrw into the equation.

The question dealt with hitch / 5 th wheel capacities.

If you keep those in line , no need for other configurations


Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 PM
PowerStrokeHD PowerStrokeHD is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,829
PowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ozd View Post
Since he asked about hitch and 5th wheel capacity,no need to bring gcvrw into the equation.

The question dealt with hitch / 5 th wheel capacities.

If you keep those in line , no need for other configurations


Hope this helps.
GCWR is very important to consider. If you slap a 24K+ 5er on the back of a fully optioned F-450 4X4 you will exceed 33K. It is a given that the truck can handle the full weight rating off the receiver, but when you are talking 5er or GN it is important to know the trucks ready to roll weight (including fuel, passangers and cargo) and subtract that from the GCWR to determine exactly how much trailer you can handle...

Being the truck is a '08 it is also important to know if it is a early or late model since early models with 4.30 gears had a lower GCWR. Granted this would mostly be for leagality purposes...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2009, 11:04 PM
duke252 duke252 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
duke252 is starting off with a positive reputation.
DMoor,
I'm new to the board and just bought an 450 as well. One point I'm looking for clarity on, is that my understanding is that the 16K "bumper" rating, is only if using a weight dist kit? Is the std mount a Class V hitch, if so wouln't it have a much higher rating than the 8k in the owners manual?
I will be towing around 12-13K, but don't want the hassel of Weight Dist system. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to jeopardize safety, however it seems to me that given the truck capacity and the load, I could tow safely w/out the w.d. system.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 AM
powerstroke72's Avatar
powerstroke72 powerstroke72 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 24,268
powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD View Post
GCWR is very important to consider. If you slap a 24K+ 5er on the back of a fully optioned F-450 4X4 you will exceed 33K. It is a given that the truck can handle the full weight rating off the receiver, but when you are talking 5er or GN it is important to know the trucks ready to roll weight (including fuel, passangers and cargo) and subtract that from the GCWR to determine exactly how much trailer you can handle...

Being the truck is a '08 it is also important to know if it is a early or late model since early models with 4.30 gears had a lower GCWR. Granted this would mostly be for leagality purposes...
Exactly. The '08 came standard with 4.30 gears and in the early build models, this was the lower of two available GCWRs. The 4.88 was optional in the high capacity tow package which bumped the GCWR to 33k. The GCWR is every bit as important as the GVWR and GAWR. Yes you need to know your ratings but to know what they truly are, you need to know the weight of the truck, trailer, and contents as a total package also.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2009, 01:29 AM
powerstroke72's Avatar
powerstroke72 powerstroke72 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 24,268
powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke252 View Post
DMoor,
I'm new to the board and just bought an 450 as well. One point I'm looking for clarity on, is that my understanding is that the 16K "bumper" rating, is only if using a weight dist kit? Is the std mount a Class V hitch, if so wouln't it have a much higher rating than the 8k in the owners manual?
I will be towing around 12-13K, but don't want the hassel of Weight Dist system. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to jeopardize safety, however it seems to me that given the truck capacity and the load, I could tow safely w/out the w.d. system.
If you'll check, you will find two ratings. One is a "weight carrying" rating and the other is a "weight distribution" rating (or something to that effect). They are self explanatory. The weight carrying rating is without a WD hitch and is just the trailer sitting on the hitch ball. The weight distribution rating is with the WD hitch. You may not want the hassle of a WD system but I wouldn't chance it without one with that kind of weight.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-28-2009, 07:30 AM
DMoor5 DMoor5 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
DMoor5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Guys: I am new to FTE and I must tell you I really appreciate all the help. I think I got it now - I have a F450, automatic, 4x4, dressed up with with a scale weight of 9,245 lbs. (me included). I am looking to pull a fifthweel/gooseneck flatbed trailer loaded with fence material.

So if I have a 4.88 gear in the rear - the high capacity tow package GCWR of 33k I need to subtract the truck 9,245 lbs and the trailer empty weight, est: 5,000 lbs (have not bought it yet) to carry a load of est: 18,755 lbs.

Thanks again to all! from the new guy.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-28-2009, 04:01 PM
powerstroke72's Avatar
powerstroke72 powerstroke72 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 24,268
powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
You got it. Do you know which axle you have? In the later job# '08 trucks, they discontinued the 4.88 and made the 33k GCWR standard across the board with the auto tranny and the 4.30 gears.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Configure Build for Maximum Conventional Towing? HRTKD 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 9 03-22-2016 03:01 AM
New rig, tow capacity question... UpNorth1 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 4 05-06-2014 09:38 AM
2006 F-250 Super Duty Turbo Diesel Towing Capacity rosenkranswa 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 25 09-12-2011 02:44 PM
Towing Capacity of 1995 Super Duty Dullie horseowner 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 4 12-28-2010 04:55 PM
Need to tow 25,000 lbs ponyboy123 Flatbed, Car, Boat, Utility, Horse & Misc. Trailer Towing 7 07-10-2009 05:22 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
2009, 450, 5th, capacity, empty, f450, ford, gcwr, load, rating, superduty, towing, trailer, truck, weight, wheel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.