1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Follow up question to the post on relays

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:44 PM
learpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow up question to the post on relays

I really liked the post by John Niolon about the relay use. My question is if you are using more then one relay how is power supplied to each? Must I run a wire from the battery to each or one wire which branches off to each, or one to the 1st then continuing to the next etc. How is this done? A diagram would be great. thanks

Old 04-26-2009, 02:19 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this may help. the last one helped me redo my headlamps...i jumped my power wire form relay to relay, not sure if that is "right" but it works.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:38 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
LP

AFAIK you can daisy chain the source voltage or parallel them... makes no nevermind. The relay is dumb and just looking for a source of voltage.. the current draw is so low that you could probably chain 50 of them and the last one wouldn't know the difference from the first... convenience is the rule..

later
john

Old 04-26-2009, 05:51 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are uncomfortable wiring them all together make a power buss to run the power from.
You can make them or buy them. - Edit: http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/cn-1.shtml

Also Lime Works has come out with a new wireing system - it cuts down on the number of wires used. Sounds good to me - less wires - less smoke. Edit: http://www.limeworkspeedshop.com/pulsejet.html

Old 04-26-2009, 06:18 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
If you are uncomfortable wiring them all together make a power buss to run the power from.
You can make them or buy them. - Edit: Catalog

Also Lime Works has come out with a new wireing system - it cuts down on the number of wires used. Sounds good to me - less wires - less smoke. Edit: http://www.limeworkspeedshop.com/pulsejet.html
Hey Dick...

good site you offered... I've looked for that power bus connection before and couldn't find one.... resorted to junkyard pull. they've got some neat stuff too... got that bookmarked.. thanks

john

Old 04-26-2009, 09:50 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Originally Posted by jniolon
LP

AFAIK you can daisy chain the source voltage or parallel them... makes no nevermind. The relay is dumb and just looking for a source of voltage.. the current draw is so low that you could probably chain 50 of them and the last one wouldn't know the difference from the first... convenience is the rule..

later
john
ok... I had a senior moment and chuck pointed out the error in my thinking... DUH ??? if you daisy chain them and one goes.... they all go... kinda like your old style Christmas lights... here's Chuck's logic and it makes more sense than mine...

You need parallel circuits so if you have a failure you don't loose everything as you would in a series circuits. In a series circuit the total voltage drop is a sum of the voltage dropped across each circuit. In a parallel circuit the total voltage drop is across each circuit. Remember amp meters in cars. Starters and headlights. Now days, headlights,driving lights, fuel pump, radiator fan or fans, large stereo amplifiers etc. Twenty amp fuses are not small time fuses. In aviation we used terminal strips to parallel the circuits and run one heavier duty wire or metal connection between the terminal strip and the battery. It isn't practical to run many wires to the battery positive post. Trying to help, chuck

I'm really smarter than that chuck... thanks for the head bang

later
John