Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anybody running water/meth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:22 AM
duallydan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody running water/meth?

I am getting a stage 3 kit installed tomorrow on my dually, and I am excited....

Anybody else running a water/meth setup want to let me know what to expect? How much fluid am I going to be going through?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Which kit are you installing? snow? I've been running their stage 3 mpg/max setup for a few months now

Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 PM
duallydan
Junior User
I believe it as AEM? Apparently it is a progressive kit, based on exhaust gas temps and boost levels. Meters the injection so it is not just full on or off.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:48 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have one, but waiting for you to let us know how it goes.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
My snow setup works the same way. I have tow and mpg mode. Tow mode injects based on egt's. MPG/max mode is based on boost, I have the small nozzle to come on at the lower boost levels, and 2 larger ones for the 2nd stage.

You had asked how much fluid you use? depending on nozzle size and pump psi without towing anything I would say 1-2 gal per tank of fuel depending on how you drive. When towing or loaded heavy double that or maybe a little more.

Also I wouldn't really recommend using the methanol, if you do, I wouldnt use more than 20%. I use straight water. Hope that helps.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:28 PM
duallydan
Junior User
I was told to run blue washer fluid, any thoughts on that?

Old 04-26-2009, 04:35 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
I run a cooling mist kit, and prefer theres to anyones on the market, better pumps, better nozzles, better controlers...

That being said, I have well over 100k on water without one issue. I prefer not to run washer fluid, you have no idea what else is in that stuff. Water, and then pure Methonal from a race shop. I have run up to 50% on the dyno, but you can here it knock at that level. Keep it around 30% for a good safe kick in the pants.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
I had run it at first, since then have learned a few things from a few knowledgeable people on these engines as to what they thought.

What I was pretty much told about the negative side of using meth had to do with fuel timing. Since the w/m mix is already in the air, it is introduced into the cylinder as soon as the intake valve opens. Here's where there could be issues--when you run your engine hard and it gets hot, or if there are any "hot spots" on pistons, valves, or heads from carbon deposits, it can prematurely ignite the methanol. Thus the whole injection timing from a chip or tuner on your truck is thrown out of whack. In turn can create high cylinder pressure, but more importantly at the wrong time.

Now given it doesnt sound as bad as that seems, it makes sense that you wouldnt want to put any engine components under any un-needed stress. I had been running anywhere from a 40/60 mix to 50/50. The only time I would run any meth now would be when its going to be below freezing, and even then I would not run much.

Another thing, before I had been running a mix, that was on stock sticks and turbo. Now i'm running 238cc hybrids and an H2e, so i'm a little more picky now. I will say that before on stock stuff it did seem to run fine by seat of the pants, but the ones i've talked to who have been tuning and working on these engines for years said its a little risky.

IMO, if you set it up right with nozzle size and pump psi, and the w/m injection timing that its fine to run on stock sticks and turbo. Just my .02 though

Hopefully that will be a little helpful info for you, I will do my best to answer any questions I can about it for you.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
I run a cooling mist kit, and prefer theres to anyones on the market, better pumps, better nozzles, better controlers...

That being said, I have well over 100k on water without one issue. I prefer not to run washer fluid, you have no idea what else is in that stuff. Water, and then pure Methonal from a race shop. I have run up to 50% on the dyno, but you can here it knock at that level. Keep it around 30% for a good safe kick in the pants.

Duallydan, the knock he described in this post is what I was talking about when I said it can prematurely ignite the methanol. Its all fine up until this point, which is where the meth isnt really giving you an advantage in power because its not working with the diesel fuel to push the piston down a little harder, and in some cases it can work against it.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:43 PM
duallydan
Junior User
Wow, you guys are quick and efficient around here!!! Thanks for all the great responses.

So, if the weather gets below freezing I should run a mix, if it is not I should be running straight water?

I cannot seem to find any info on any of the sites about what mix to run, or to run straight water. Water is definately cheaper, and easier.

And yes, I am on stock injectors and turbo. I am not going to be upgrading this motor any further, the next step for power is cummins/allison (sorry to the diehards who think I am sac religious now)....I feel that is the cheapest way to attain the amount of power that will almost satisfy me.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:25 AM
duallydan
Junior User
My mistress is now a meth addict!!!

Got my kit installed yesterday! It is a snow stage 3 kit, I added a 10 gallon fuel cell in the bed for fluid.

This thing is awesome. I was pulling about 14 to 15,000 lbs last night on the highway, stepped on it, downshifted and revved to about 2800 rpms. Before I did the kit my backdown on my Edge would be all over me, and exhaust temps would exceed 1350. The snow display showed about 75% injection pressure, and the EGTS would not exceed 1200

I can't wait for my 4000 mile road trip this weekend. Towing about 15,000 lbs from Vancouver BC, to Saskatoon SK....and about the same home from Winnipeg MB.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Good deal. That is a good difference. Thanks for the update.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by duallydan
Wow, you guys are quick and efficient around here!!! Thanks for all the great responses.

So, if the weather gets below freezing I should run a mix, if it is not I should be running straight water?

I cannot seem to find any info on any of the sites about what mix to run, or to run straight water. Water is definately cheaper, and easier.

And yes, I am on stock injectors and turbo. I am not going to be upgrading this motor any further, the next step for power is cummins/allison (sorry to the diehards who think I am sac religious now)....I feel that is the cheapest way to attain the amount of power that will almost satisfy me.
I have a 7 gal tank mounted in my toolbox, and when its going to get below freezing I run about 3 gal of blue windshield washer fluid and the rest water. Never had a problem even when its gotten to 5* out. You will notice more of a drop in EGTs with straight water, but with less of an improvement in power as you would with a meth mix. But I would highly recommend never going over a 50/50 mix, and be sure and only use the blue windshield washer fluid, the others have types of glycol in them, and that is a no no in an engine
Originally Posted by duallydan
Got my kit installed yesterday! It is a snow stage 3 kit, I added a 10 gallon fuel cell in the bed for fluid.

This thing is awesome. I was pulling about 14 to 15,000 lbs last night on the highway, stepped on it, downshifted and revved to about 2800 rpms. Before I did the kit my backdown on my Edge would be all over me, and exhaust temps would exceed 1350. The snow display showed about 75% injection pressure, and the EGTS would not exceed 1200

I can't wait for my 4000 mile road trip this weekend. Towing about 15,000 lbs from Vancouver BC, to Saskatoon SK....and about the same home from Winnipeg MB.
Sounds good man, glad to hear you are engjoying it. let me know if you need any help on setting the adjustments or anything.