1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID headlights

Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Firekite
Anyone use the "V-HID" set from V-LEDS? They've got an H13 HID set for $150 that looks pretty nice.

It comes with a harness that seems (based on other parts they have) to wire directly to the battery with a relay that's triggered off the factory lights. Also, it says this in the description: "This kit uses electromagnetic controllers to move the bulb back in to the high beam location." Anyone know what that means?
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco
It means the bulbs actually move to change the focus for high or low beams. I've never had them though so not sure how good that works, seems to me like the ideal 'position' would vary based on the reflector design.
I call them mechanical.... because, it requires some kind of motor to move the bulb in/out depending on selection of high or low beam. It's nice only due to the fact you can "high beam" someone, and the bulb doesn't need to warm up to get the effect. However, you do have to wait for the bulb to move inward before it's actually a 'high beam'. Depending on bulb manufacturer, this could be milliseconds or a second. There's a noticeable difference in the two, and quite frustrating.

$150 is kind of steep for a 2 ballast mechanical system. I own a 4 ballast, quad HID system in my Excursion with H13 bulbs that is amazing. In fact, I installed a 4 ballast (9007 bulb type) system in my motorhome last week expecting to have to remove it (too blinding for oncoming cars) and was very impressed. I adjusted my headlights down a bit (just to be on the safe side) for low beam, and the high beams (also HID) are great for looking for that desert camp spot. Very impressed once again with HID dual burner (Bi-Xenon) type bulbs. And no, they aren't blinding what-so-ever.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I just ordered the 55W DDM dual ballast H13 Hi/Lo kit for the truck. We'll see how it works out.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Woody1989
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
The Harley headlights I'm not too sure about... (haven't tried them). Are those on Ebay OEM, or after market?

But the projector "aftermarket" stuff is crap!! In fact, I had used them and another brand on my other Excursion during my testing of good and bad after market replacement lights for the Ex. In fact, here's a picture of one style i was trying ... and it too, was crap.

OEM is the best I've found. I found anything other then OEM, gave you erratic results for a beam on the road, or in oncoming driver's eyes.
Yes, that is the exact aftermarket style I have now in my '01 Excursion that I am looking to replace. I've had them for a couple three or so years and they have yellowed with age. I have a 4000k-5000k HID kit in the low beams and have them adjusted down as best I could. Haven't run into any state inspection problems with them over the years, but I know they are a far cry from OEM HIDs.
<O</O<O</O
I'm leaning towards trying this one. I've gathered from other posts that '05 headlights will bolt right up to a '01 as long as you cut out some plastic from the truck behind the headlamp. Is that correct? If so, then I've already done this to allow for the aftermarket headlamps I have now.<O</O
<O</O
05-07 FORD F250 F350 F450 SUPERDUTY HALO HEADLIGHTS+HID:eBay Motors (item 310178916682 end time Nov-08-09 17:44:11 PST)<O</O
<O</O
I don't care for the halo or other LED lights in this headlamp. Fortunately they do not have to be wired up and can be left off. I emailed one of the winning bidders and he had great things to say about them...only problem is I got the feeling the guy was much younger than me and didn't understand my light pattern/cut-off questions. He was just thrilled they were so much brighter than his old halogens. lol
<O</O<O</O
You'd think somebody would design a real HID projector replacement kit for the F250-F350-Excursion...wishful thinking?
<O</O

Thoughts?<O</O
<O</O
Best,<O</O
<O</O
<O</O
Brad<O</O

Old 11-02-2009, 10:30 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
I have very little love for those cheaply made taiwanese headlamps assy's. Most I've seen are terrible with fit and finish, and function and durability aren't usually that great either.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Woody1989
Freshman User

$150 is kind of steep for a 2 ballast mechanical system. I own a 4 ballast, quad HID system in my Excursion with H13 bulbs that is amazing.
Hello Johnny,

Care to share pictures and details of your Excursion setup? I've got to do something about my Excursion setup sooner than later and would rather pass on the EBay "projector" idea.

Thanks!

Brad

Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
tepid1
New User
Firekite: Please post pics of the light output when you get them installed. I am very interested.... I have the DDM kit in my Ducati 1098S and I love the output, although, it is in an OEM projector housing. The kit was very well put together.

Johnny Airtime: Sent you a message. Could you post more info on your setup please?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Well, of course it turns out the kit's backordered. We'll see.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:48 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Well I just ordered the 55W DDM dual ballast H13 Hi/Lo kit for the truck. We'll see how it works out.
First... they sold you a 55W kit, with dual burner HID bulbs in H13 or 9007? Hmmm... kind of a waist of your money (35W over 55W), and DDM is right around the corner from me....(literally 10 blocks away from my residence) price is right, but the quality isn't. And from the bulbs I've seen come from the place... they weren't the proper High/Low beam, nor were they a good fit. Maybe they've cleaned up their bulbs and are selling quality now?!

Originally Posted by Woody1989
.......wishful thinking?
<O</O

Thoughts?<O</O
<O</O
Best,<O</O
<O</O
<O</O
Brad<O</O
Yup. Stock is best.
Get the newer '05 style OEM headlight and re-trofit it into your housing. PEICE OF CAKE, and will give you the best light output... and not be blinding or have too much glare.

Originally Posted by aldridgec
I have very little love for those cheaply made taiwanese headlamps assy's. Most I've seen are terrible with fit and finish, and function and durability aren't usually that great either.
You and me both.
Just got blinded last night by the lovely units with LEDs at the bottom of the housing. Reminds me of a Chinese dragon party, or a city taxi in Chinatown all lit up.

Originally Posted by Woody1989
Hello Johnny,

Care to share pictures and details of your Excursion setup? I've got to do something about my Excursion setup sooner than later and would rather pass on the EBay "projector" idea.

Thanks!
Brad
I've got pictures in the "closed thread" that I tried to do a group buy for everyone interested. I thought you all could lean on my findings (that took a long time to get straight - year or more), and actually got banned for a while for it. Imagine that. Trying to help... not even part of my business (I have a day job as a Telecom Engineer), and I get lumped into that black hole. So much for trying to help.

Email me. Much easier. My user name at gmail dot com.

Originally Posted by tepid1
Johnny Airtime: Sent you a message. Could you post more info on your setup please?
Sorry ... JUST checked on this site (I'm not too much of a regular over here)... Use my email above and get ahold of me. I actually, just ordered for 3 of my buddies and ordered extra sets.

Well, of course it turns out the kit's backordered. We'll see.
... cancel, and I'll help you out with a quality bulb. Did you see the pictures of the H13s I posted in the "other" group buy forum?? I even have old pictures of the larger ballasts, where I mounted them... and such. Pretty simple install.

Here's the old closed link, with pictures of bulbs, installed kit, and all you'd need to know.... even with links to the bulbs you DON'T want to have sent to you (be sure to check the links - they are hard to see on my PC... text is a slight red tint)

... Hope I can help ya'all out!!

Old 11-07-2009, 08:07 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic

Yup. Stock is best.
Get the newer '05 style OEM headlight and re-trofit it into your housing. PEICE OF CAKE, and will give you the best light output... and not be blinding or have too much glare.
I'm guessing since you have an X you havent had to much chance to try out the bulbs you reccomend in the 08-10 housing? I'd be curious how the beam compares. The stock housing on my 350 seems to have to sharp a cutoff thats aimed pretty low (not a problem, just a lot sharper than I am acustomed too and even has issues with lighting up signs). I dont know if they aim them lower figuring you will have a load or what... or maybe they aim them all the same and the stiffer springs I opted for tilts the angle of them down, IDK. The spread and intensity of light seem great stock, I might just crank them up a little. I guess most of the time I drive I use the high beams and that fixes the too low cuttoff. I probably run the highs just as much as the lows.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:45 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
I'm guessing since you have an X you havent had to much chance to try out the bulbs you reccomend in the 08-10 housing? I'd be curious how the beam compares. The stock housing on my 350 seems to have to sharp a cutoff thats aimed pretty low (not a problem, just a lot sharper than I am acustomed too and even has issues with lighting up signs). I dont know if they aim them lower figuring you will have a load or what... or maybe they aim them all the same and the stiffer springs I opted for tilts the angle of them down, IDK. The spread and intensity of light seem great stock, I might just crank them up a little. I guess most of the time I drive I use the high beams and that fixes the too low cuttoff. I probably run the highs just as much as the lows.
Thats correct, I've never had the chance to try them in the newer trucks and headlight housing.

I did however take some example pictures of my X's headlights (I'm currently running H11 HID fog lights in 6000K and H13 dual HID in 6000K - due to testing the color. I'm removing them this weekend to put back in the preferred 4300K) as I was out in the desert today.... by request of a PM. And it's pretty frustrating, but the pictures DO NOT do the lights any justice. There's so much more light off in the distance the camera cannot pick up, so it looks dark. Easiest to notice is how the bushes up close pick up the light from high beams. Cut off on low beams is evident, and how I've got them adjusted down. Enough to never get high-beamed from oncoming vehicles.

Here's some examples....
(please excuse the horrible fuzziness and such, I took them with a Olympus Stylus 850 SW, and didn't alter the camera whatsoever. Pictures were taken through my front windshield, which is also tinted with 50% tint)

Low Beam - 6000K

High Beam - 6000K

Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
I'm guessing since you have an X you havent had to much chance to try out the bulbs you reccomend in the 08-10 housing? I'd be curious how the beam compares. ...........
Anyone in San Diego with a newer F-Series??
I too would like to see "just how well" the HID H13 (dual-HID) bulb works in those headlight housings. In fact, I'd be willing to install them and take the pictures.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:30 PM
tepid1
New User
Alright all....

I'm trying Johnny's HID kit for my 04 F350. I'll be sure to post install pics and the output pics once installed. I will be sure to do before and after pics as well.

Johnny, thanks again bro. Your customer service and support is second to none.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
First... they sold you a 55W kit, with dual burner HID bulbs in H13 or 9007? Hmmm... kind of a waist of your money (35W over 55W), and DDM is right around the corner from me....(literally 10 blocks away from my residence) price is right, but the quality isn't. And from the bulbs I've seen come from the place... they weren't the proper High/Low beam, nor were they a good fit. Maybe they've cleaned up their bulbs and are selling quality now?!
The 55W was only $15 more than the 35W. It comes with a relay and replacement wiring loom, though I'm guessing I'll need to extend the wiring, as often they're not long enough.

Here are a couple of crappy shots of the H13 Hi/Lo bulb. iPhone's camera could be better.

That's what I have, btw. An '07 with the halogen light housings.

... cancel, and I'll help you out with a quality bulb. Did you see the pictures of the H13s I posted in the "other" group buy forum?? I even have old pictures of the larger ballasts, where I mounted them... and such. Pretty simple install.
Too late! I've been out of pocket since that last post, out doing so much last-minute stuff for the hunting season. I'm not above returning them. Look at the pics and tell me what you think. Worst case scenario I give them a shot either way.

Are you a vendor of HID kits or something?

Old 11-11-2009, 04:45 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
The 55W was only $15 more than the 35W. It comes with a relay and replacement wiring loom, though I'm guessing I'll need to extend the wiring, as often they're not long enough.

Here are a couple of crappy shots of the H13 Hi/Lo bulb. iPhone's camera could be better.

That's what I have, btw. An '07 with the halogen light housings.

Too late! I've been out of pocket since that last post, out doing so much last-minute stuff for the hunting season. I'm not above returning them. Look at the pics and tell me what you think. Worst case scenario I give them a shot either way.

Are you a vendor of HID kits or something?

Those are great pics... thanks for sharing!! Yup.... good ol' mechanical bulbs.

Lovestrucks had them put in, ask her how she likes them;
ThumperTalk - View Single Post - Need more light...HID conversion?
(she's on this site too)

I too use the "harness" that comes with it. Usually has 2 fuses, 2 relays, ties into the battery and OEM headlight plugs. I don't have a problem with length on any vehicle we've installed them on. Good luck with your's. I like that harness as it allows me to tie in a diode to the vacant headlight plug and run low beams, with my high beams.

Me, a Vendor? No... I have a side job that I do as a hobby, building off-road lights for dirt-bikes. I've ran HID in my vehicles for years, but never found the right "quality" bulbs, until this past year. And, I tried to offer the "findings" to all of you and got (temp banned) for it. Per this thread; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-f-series.html

Old 11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
So, what, are you saying they're "still" poor quality lights? Which ones do you recommend? How much are they, and from where? Do you have to put new housings in to use them properly? I'm unaware of any OEM HID lights for an '07 Super Duty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID headlights