Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Posting Guru

MissIndependent is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MissIndependent is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
tensioner pulley

is occasionally...sticking is the best word for it, i guess. twice now i've noticed my idle sounded ever so slightly off, popped the hood, and could see the tensioner pulley catch and stop moving in sync with the "off" feel i was getting. then it would be fine again; then a week of running beautifully. yesterday she did it again.

so, given how my vac pump behaved right before it blew, i suspect she's telling me i need a new tensioner pulley. anything else worth checking before i replace it?

1996 F250 XLT 7.3L PSD SC/LB 4x4, auto, 4.10s, 4" suspension lift on 37" Goodyear Wrangler MTs, 6637 air filter, 208k+ mi and counting

Plotting: stacks, gauges, tw chip, cat/muffler delete, and more that won't fit
Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Freshman User

RedOnRedPowerStroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
I found this thread from our forum... http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/78...tensioner.html

it should be helpful. Especially the part about off-idle and a suspected alternator, and removing the belt and spinning the all the pulleys by hand, and how one of the posts specifically mentioned when they spun the tensioner by hand they heard an odd sound...

The Bronco/F250 manual spells it out it just takes more time to read that.
1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual

..." 3. If any of the accessories are damaged, or have a worn or damaged bearing or internal torsional resistance above normal for any reason. All of the accessories should be rotatable by hand in the unloaded condition. If any are not, the accessories should be inspected.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Postmaster

pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.
Goodyear part numbers.

49037 A/C Drive Belt Idler Pulley

49008 A/C Drive Belt Idler Pulley Tensioner Pulley

49219 Belt Tensioner Assembly

Old 04-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Senior User

Welk49 is starting off with a positive reputation.
just had to replace tensioner and idler pulley, second Idler pulley so far, from what I gather it's a common problem
96 F350 Dom 66 Turbo, TW 6 Pos Chip, Intake, 5 In exhaust, downpipe 4in lift 35's on 18" Eagle Alloys, Intercooler, Beans Stage 2 injectors, Built Auto w/ Billet Triple Disc Conv. and Output Shaft Electric Fuel, 17* HPOP, 5" Stacks.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Posting Guru

joe_13894 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joe_13894 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do you have the old tensioner or the OBS upgrade.

It's worth looking to the upgrade tensioner if you're replacing it. The original owner of my truck did it so I don't know how involved it is but I do know it helps with keeping the belt running tight.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Senior User

fridgeddiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bearings in the idler pulleys do tend to wear out. I have been through a couple of them (all have been replaced now). When they go and toss a belt, it gets expensive to replace both the idler and the belt not to mention also getting stranded. When I have the belt off for any reason or once a year, I check the idlers to make sure the bearings are ok. Replace when questionable (around $30+ at Napa). When I haul a trailer cross country, I always keep a spare belt, idler pulley, gpr and cps with me. These things are the items that tend to go out the most frequently and leave you stranded. The belt may not frequently wear out, but if an Idler goes or vacuum pump the belt usually gets toasted too.
6637 Intake. MBRP 4" Exhaust/Gutted EBPV. Air-Lift RideControl Front Air Springs
Old 04-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Senior User

Welk49 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_13894 View Post
Do you have the old tensioner or the OBS upgrade.

It's worth looking to the upgrade tensioner if you're replacing it. The original owner of my truck did it so I don't know how involved it is but I do know it helps with keeping the belt running tight.

what upgrade? Just went to the dealer and got both the new tensioner and a new idler pulley. Didn't know anything about an upgrade
96 F350 Dom 66 Turbo, TW 6 Pos Chip, Intake, 5 In exhaust, downpipe 4in lift 35's on 18" Eagle Alloys, Intercooler, Beans Stage 2 injectors, Built Auto w/ Billet Triple Disc Conv. and Output Shaft Electric Fuel, 17* HPOP, 5" Stacks.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Posting Guru

IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.
IDMooseMan Craig Peters
I'd like to know what upgrade is available, too. How do you tell if you have an "old" one or the "upgrade" one?
Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters - Slackmaster #27, Big BSer #4, 1997 F-350 XLT 4x4 CCLB E4OD 4.10:1
VP BSU Veterans Club
, USAF SSgt 1983-1992, NAHC Life Member, RIP Gideon 3/14/2011-Go play
To those that have served, Thank You. To those that haven't served, You're Welcome.
Fraternal Order of Blue Max
Old 04-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Posting Guru

joe_13894 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joe_13894 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you have one tensioner pulley, you have the OBS tensioner. If there are two you have a superdoody tensioner.

I think you can just bolt the newer one in and put a longer belt on it. Someone who has done it would have to verify that though.

There are several advantages. The tension range is greater since it wraps the belt around two moving pulleys instead of one. There isn't a out of balance force that causes the tensioner to bend. This reduces the chance of the tensioner running out of true. The chances of breaking a tensioner bolt is less.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Elder User

BadDogPSD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
If you have one tensioner pulley, you have the OBS tensioner. If there are two you have a superdoody tensioner.

I think you can just bolt the newer one in and put a longer belt on it. Someone who has done it would have to verify that though.

There are several advantages. The tension range is greater since it wraps the belt around two moving pulleys instead of one. There isn't a out of balance force that causes the tensioner to bend. This reduces the chance of the tensioner running out of true. The chances of breaking a tensioner bolt is less.
Do you have a pic that you could post? Is a longer belt needed?

2013 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7

1997 F250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3 ** Sold **
Old 04-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Senior User

sbxworship is starting off with a positive reputation.
ha! superdoody! that's great

Quote:

97 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed, 2" lift, 37's, Rosewood Stage 1's, K&N intake, 3" DP, 4" exh., no cat, B&M shift kit, B100/WVO
Coming soon: Gauges, PHP Tunes, HPX, CCV
Old 04-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogPSD View Post
Do you have a pic that you could post? Is a longer belt needed?
Here is a pic from NAPA of the SD tensioner.

Click the image to open in full size.

There are two listed lengths of belts for our trucks at most part houses. The short one is the stock tensioner, and the longer one is for the SD tensioner.

Ford did this as a mod under warranty for people with belt problems.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Senior User

73strokin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is there really a big issue with the belt not being tight enough with the stock setup? This superduty ungrade sparks my interest, but I can't say I've ever had issues with the original setup.

1996 F250 XLT Reg Cab 4x4 Powerstroke, 4.10s, 130k miles
PHP 6 Pos Chip, Full Force Diesel 238s, Custom 304 Stainless 4" Dual Exhaust with 6" Tips, DIY Intake with AFE Filter, DieselSite Electric Fuel, HPX Line, 203* Thermostat, 4" Superlift, Dana 60, 315/70R17s, '08 Diff Cover, Duallie Tensioner
Old 04-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Just fix it before I get there, So I'm not stuck helping you do it. =)
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Elder User

BadDogPSD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Here is a pic from NAPA of the SD tensioner.

Click the image to open in full size.

There are two listed lengths of belts for our trucks at most part houses. The short one is the stock tensioner, and the longer one is for the SD tensioner.

Ford did this as a mod under warranty for people with belt problems.
Great info, thanks!

2013 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7

1997 F250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3 ** Sold **
Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1997, 350, 450, 96, braking, changing, diesel, dual, f250, f350, powerstroke, pulley, replacement, tension, tensioner