Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2009, 07:21 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
F-150 xlt

Anyone ever notice that when you see an F-150 on TV or in a mag that it's an XLT? Is there a chance that the XLT is Ford's favorite truck? Or is it an advertising strategy?

Tim
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 04-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Senior User

fruth04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
they are showing a truck that appeals to the greatest % of the market...

Traded 05 6.0 f250 Xlt w/ Black Leather,MBRP 4" turbo-back, Dick Cepek DC-2 20x9, Tuff Country 2 1/2" leveling kit, Lots of Chrome.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Elder User

Power Kid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes XLT = most sales.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Elder User

soundwave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is the XLT the cheapest for them to mass produce or something due to parts on hand?
Past trucks:1) Black two tone grey, loaded 2007 F-150 XLT Supercab 4X4 with the chrome package!2) 1995 2WD Yellow Ranger Splash Supercab 3) 1999 4X4, Red Ranger Sport Flareside Supercab, 4) 2004 Sonic Blue FX4 Ranger

Old 04-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Elder User

No, just most popular due to content vs. price.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Posting Guru

ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.
I went from an XLT to a Lariat. My next one will be an XLT. Don't get me wrong, I like my Lariat, but I would be just as happy with my old XLT that got totaled by a dum-bass yakking on a cell phone.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Elder User

There were many years where xlt was the top of the line. Wasn't until @ 92/93 where Ford offered Eddie Bauer trim. Used to be if you wanted pwr windows/locks and a/c etc you had to got to a xlt. You could add those to a xl with the right pkg but not to many dealers had em.

Now, even 04+ you couldn't get the top end stereo in a XLT, or console shifter etc...
Old 04-25-2009, 03:38 AM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
the XLT appeals to the biggest percentage of the masses.

It shows the F-150 as being affordable...and still having the nice ammenities. A rather good marketing technique if you ask me.
XLT is just the baseline F-150 that still has power window/locks...and about nothing else unless you pay the premium for it
the XL is for those want/need the cheapest they can go
It's sometimes cheaper to buy a different package (FX4, Lariat) to get better options, than it might be to build said XLT with those options...and that's assuming Ford will let you. Did you know the XLT cannot be ordered with Leather? at all, unless you add the FX2 option

I agree with Power Kid. The XLT used to be a very good package. Back when A/C was a luxury, and only rich folk had power windows...now, the XLT is the equivalent to a XL of yesteryear.
Today, most people just want a vehicle with power conveniences...but still a "cheap" price.

And today's XL is kinda a weird version of the Custom of the late 80's to early 90's.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Posting Guru

04XLTRUNNER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.04XLTRUNNER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
its the best affordable, all around mid trim level truck. its what most people buy. i think it has the most option differences available. gears, cabs, beds, exterior, interior. but yet still within a good price range.
2012 Lariat SC 4x4 5.0. Tuxedo Black, 3.55 E-lock,6.5" MacGaughy Lift, 1.5" AAL, 20" XD Cranks w/ 35" Fuel M/T Rubber, 5Star Tuned, Blacked out upper/lower Grille,Cherry Bomb,Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, HID's, Full Int. LED, LED 3rd Brake & Taillights, Fire&Ice Bar, LED puddle lamps
Gone:2009 F-150 FX4, 2005 F-150 lariat 4x4 & 2004 F-150 xlt 2x4
Old 06-18-2009, 04:40 AM
Junior User

Hammerhead1550 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's sometimes cheaper to buy a different package (FX4, Lariat) to get better options, than it might be to build said XLT with those options...and that's assuming Ford will let you. Did you know the XLT cannot be ordered with Leather? at all, unless you add the FX2 option

Yea my biggest grype is no leather in the XLT! Man in my opinion options are what drive the price of trucks up and thus makes more profit for the manufacturers. You should be able to order it any way you want to like when the orginal Mustang came out. I am in the opinion to make the best part for what is used the most, The lowlyest truck should be able to order a leater seat if thats what they want, the things you use the most on a truck is the seats, gas pedal and brakes. Your truck can be a hunk of junk but if the seats are nice and comfortable you tend to ignore the other stuff because you actually enjoy riding in it. IT just like buying a computer they give you a nice big clear monitor because thats what you always look at and if the rest of the computer is a litttle slow you tend to overlook it because you can see good,

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Posting Guru

Bsimmer3000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
XLT looks good and is cheap. If they had the Kingranch or platinum on there and had MSRP's then people would be put of because of the high price. Once they get them in the dealership then they might upgraded to a higher model.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Senior User

big_ole_truck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Consider this: If you are a consumer that wants the goods to do a job and some creature comforts for those times you aren't using it as a work truck, the XLT fills that spot perfectly. You can select the engine for your use, 4x4 or 4x2, and in different cabin styles. Personally, I think the monochrome painted '09 XLT with chrome pkg looks great. And when you price it against the upper trim levels like Platinum, it makes the XLT a more viable choice when minimizing price.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Elder User

soundwave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylus View Post
the XLT appeals to the biggest percentage of the masses.

It shows the F-150 as being affordable...and still having the nice ammenities. A rather good marketing technique if you ask me.
XLT is just the baseline F-150 that still has power window/locks...and about nothing else unless you pay the premium for it
the XL is for those want/need the cheapest they can go

I agree with Power Kid. The XLT used to be a very good package. Back when A/C was a luxury, and only rich folk had power windows...now, the XLT is the equivalent to a XL of yesteryear.
Today, most people just want a vehicle with power conveniences...but still a "cheap" price.

And today's XL is kinda a weird version of the Custom of the late 80's to early 90's.
How do you explain the STX then? Its just the XL a handful of options more, but not quite the XLT. I lke the way the STX looks better then the new XLT's because of the grille, that and you can get the manuel transfer case.
Past trucks:1) Black two tone grey, loaded 2007 F-150 XLT Supercab 4X4 with the chrome package!2) 1995 2WD Yellow Ranger Splash Supercab 3) 1999 4X4, Red Ranger Sport Flareside Supercab, 4) 2004 Sonic Blue FX4 Ranger

Old 06-21-2009, 05:03 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsimmer3000 View Post
XLT looks good and is cheap. If they had the Kingranch or platinum on there and had MSRP's then people would be put of because of the high price. Once they get them in the dealership then they might upgraded to a higher model.
I agree with you to a point. You can't get leather on the XLT but most everything else can be had. You can build an XLT with all the high dollar goodies MINUS FX4 specific items, KR and Plat specific items and the truck will run well over $40k. This really is the most versitile package that Ford offers.

Tim
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 06-21-2009, 05:03 PM