6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Howes fuel treatment

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:07 PM
farmerrig
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive used it before, you can find it at any gas station up here. Truck ran a little slower with the howes, but the howes is a lot cheaper 2 run, and it seems I got ever so slightly better mileage with it then with power service.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pjwoolw
From their website.

All Howes Diesel Fuel Additives comply with the federal low sulfur diesel requirements (<15ppm) for use in diesel motor vehicles and non road engines.

Our additives are safe to use in any diesel engine, including '07 and beyond. Howes products demulsify water, contain no alcohol, are particulate filter friendly and will not void any manufacturers warranty.

SUMMARY OF ULSD FUEL STANDARDS:
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations intended to improve our air quality went into effect June 1, 2006. They require a major reduction in the sulfur content of diesel fuels and emission levels from diesel engines and vehicles. To meet the EPA standards manufacturers have developed new, highly advanced emission control systems and the petroleum industry is producing ULSD fuel, a cleaner-burning diesel fuel containing a maximum of 15 parts-per-million (ppm) sulfur.

Beginning with the 2007 models, diesel engines and exhausts will be equipped with advanced emissions control systems. While they will be extremely effective in reducing emissions, they are susceptible to damage from higher concentrations of sulfur. Because of this, diesel vehicles produced in 2007 or later must use ULSD only. Owners of 2006 and earlier diesel vehicles may use either ULSD or LSD fuel where it is available.

HOWES PRODUCTS:
Howes products will clean and lubricate fuel injectors, pumps and upper cylinders, adding back lubricity lost in the refining process. Howes Diesel Treat will continue to give you protection against gelling and still carries our famous guarantee - “You Go or We Pay the Tow!”

CANADA:
We would like to inform you about some differences between U.S. and Canadian ULSD requirements. As of June 1, 2006, all production in Canada of diesel fuel must be 15 ppm sulfur or less. As of September 1, 2007, only ULSD fuel is allowed to be sold at the retail level.

Diesel fuel additives are not addressed in Canadian regulations, so there are no corresponding labeling requirements as in the US. It is again important for Canadians to remember, Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat and Meaner Power Kleaner are safe for all diesel engines, including 2007 and newer.

Should you require further information or clarification, please contact our Sales Department at 1-800-438-9080.
OK... but Howes contain no cetane (hence the lower price).

Cetane imprives the "burn" of the fuel and makes for more mpg's.

In one of the links I posted earlier, it spoke about the cetane levels found at the pump in the US and how some are lower than they should be.... and that cetane improver additives should be used to ensure that at least the minimum is met, if not getting more of a gain.

This is why Powerservice and Stanadyne are the most popular for those that really know what they are paying for.

If you want cetane improvers, cleaning agents, lubricity the use Powerservice in the grey bottle. If you want anti-gel and the above improvements, then use the white bottle of Powerservice.

Stanadyne has their "Performance Formula and their Winter/Anti-Gel Formula as well.

Howes just has the basi stuff (light gold in color) which does NOT have cetane in it (big misconception if people do not call or read the fine print on the bottle or website)!!!

That's the only point I am trying to make.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
And, that's why I use DK. Cetane, lubricity, and MPG. I have noticed a mileage increase since I started using it long ago. All of the diesel pumps around here are labeled with the cetane rating. I get all of mine at the Flying J at exit 77 off of I-81 about 10 miles from the house. 45 cetane and the cheapest price on diesel around...also the highest turnover meaning fresher fuel. BBC, I agree with you on the Howe's.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
And, that's why I use DK. Cetane, lubricity, and MPG. I have noticed a mileage increase since I started using it long ago. All of the diesel pumps around here are labeled with the cetane rating. I get all of mine at the Flying J at exit 77 off of I-81 about 10 miles from the house. 45 cetane and the cheapest price on diesel around...also the highest turnover meaning fresher fuel. BBC, I agree with you on the Howe's.
Thanks.. for the vote of confidence.

Just trying to educate and inform the less informed.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:08 AM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by powerstroke72

Flying J also has an additive package they add to the fuel. I don't know what is in it but my truck always ran better on the "flyin fish hook's" fuel.

I wish those test results included a test of FOMOCOs fuel additive. Thats what I have been using.

I also add a gallon of syntetic 2 cycle to my 98 gallon tank every time I fill up.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:32 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
I've been reading about the success folks are having with the two cycle oil and I think I'm going to start using it too. I agree with you on the FOMOCO thing. If it would do what the DK has for it, I'd probably switch. I wonder if it's made by one of those on the analysis and rebranded as Ford.

I do know that since I've been getting my fuel only at Flying J, my MPGs have gone up by about 1-2.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Miguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my say Ive been using this stuff Opti-Lube XPD Diesel Fuel Improver and it makes my truck run and act so much better, i really like it. i seen it in the additives test thingy here in the forums it was like ranked second

Old 04-26-2009, 03:49 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Howes

Originally Posted by 04F-250mark
I finally found some of the howes fuel stuff and was wandering if it's worth a shot. I run diesel kleen grey bottle and I know not to mix but does it do anything better different ?

Well I guess you could just call the company and ask them. That would probably be quicker than getting an answer to your question. It ain't gonna happen here. Another example of post hijacking so prevalent on this forum.
It must be a bad product because I haven't tried it attitude again. Noise noise noise.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:59 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
The study results in post #2 have been discussed and generally accepted on the www as accurate. These results say clearly that there are better "lubricity improving" additives than Howes. This is also supported by President of BD Engine Brake & Valley Fuel Injection (link below):
Question. Stanadine VS. Howes - BD-Power Forums | WELCOME TO OUR CLUB!
The link above is a few years old, but seems to have some experience behind it.

In some old posts, some folks questioned Howe's ability to prevent gelling at EXTREME temps (Below -20 *F). Who knows if this is based on a truely valid study - it is just information from posts (which I will value at least as much as company advertising).

Just a word of caution - there are more ways to mislead you through advertising than you will ever be able to figure out. Getting to know the type of people that post here (the helpful and thoughtful ones) can serve to point you in a good direction. You do this by reading a lot of posts and doing a billion (slightly exaggerated, but not much) searches. Certainly no one is perfect on their advice - especially on fuel additives. This one will come down to personal choice AND how much benefit you are looking to get.

BBC has had VERY good luck w/ his preventative maintenance strategy - I appreciate his "noise", because it has experience behind it.

Origcharger (IIRC) has had similar good experience with no fuel additives. I appreciate his "noise", it has experience behind it as well.

Is a fuel additive needed (or even cost effective)? Who knows, but they have been shown theoretically and clinically to help in many areas. You may not need the help, but then again you may.

Lots of threads on the web saying that Howes helps. They claim lubricity improvement AND cetane improvement. Without a quantitaive answer though, who knows how much any of them help. This is why I really value the link to the study on additives (post #2).

My opinion is that Howes will help some, but one thing I know for sure - you will NEVER know personally how much it helps or if it was worth the $$'s. Same w/ all the other choices.

BTW - here is some advertising that is interesting:
http://www.stanadyne.com/docs/puba/9...F%20poster.pdf

That's all the noise I have to add at this time ..........

Old 04-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
For those that have posted about using 2-stroke motor oil in your fuel.... be careful.

Why????

1)The 6.0L was not designed to burn 2-stroke motor oil.

2) Even "ashless" 2-stroke oil leaves behind some soot or film (will clog fuel filters and/or foul or ruin the injectors themselves). The injectors were not designed to "squirt and burn" 2-stroke motor oil.

3) No one really knows how much how how little to use... and I think that too little is a waste of money and effort and too much may be harmefull.

4) The EGR system on our motors gets dirty/sooty enough.... and I do not think it wise to add more "soot & dirty" or the potential to do so into the EGR system.

There are plenty of "safe alternatives" to use in your motor and know your OK. They are bio-diesel and "made for diesel" fuel additives... so why some "old-school, home-brew" method from years ago on a new-generation, highly tuned motor?

Just my .02 worth... for being careful....

Old 04-26-2009, 08:28 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Good points BBC. I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. Haven't used any yet and may not now. The DK has been great for me and I had thought about this as I had read that others were having success with it. Every post I'd read said that it had the engine running quieter. After reading your post, I wonder about the long term effects. Thanks for posting that.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:01 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
For those that have posted about using 2-stroke motor oil in your fuel.... be careful.

Why????

2) Even "ashless" 2-stroke oil leaves behind some soot or film (will clog fuel filters and/or foul or ruin the injectors themselves). The injectors were not designed to "squirt and burn" 2-stroke motor oil.

3) No one really knows how much how how little to use... and I think that too little is a waste of money and effort and too much may be harmefull.

4) The EGR system on our motors gets dirty/sooty enough.... and I do not think it wise to add more "soot & dirty" or the potential to do so into the EGR system.

There are plenty of "safe alternatives" to use in your motor and know your OK. They are bio-diesel and "made for diesel" fuel additives... so why some "old-school, home-brew" method from years ago on a new-generation, highly tuned motor?

And your 2003 Excursion was not designed to burn ULSD but it does. Is this post a personal opinion or is it from a data scorce? Some say burning used motor oil in modern diesel engines is not good but the Mercedes diesel that are in Freightliner trucks do just that. After X amount of miles the some of the used oil is put into the fuel and a new supply of oil from a holding tank replenishes the engine. I have been using the 2 stroke oil for colse to 20,000 miles so far and no clogged filters.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
And your 2003 Excursion was not designed to burn ULSD but it does. Is this post a personal opinion or is it from a data scorce? Some say burning used motor oil in modern diesel engines is not good but the Mercedes diesel that are in Freightliner trucks do just that. After X amount of miles the some of the used oil is put into the fuel and a new supply of oil from a holding tank replenishes the engine. I have been using the 2 stroke oil for colse to 20,000 miles so far and no clogged filters.
The anology of ULSD and LSD fuel is a poor anology and inappriate. All diesels can run with either fuel and are made using mandated ASTM standards.

To answer your question, my post above is from personal reading on the web and I will have to look later this week if I saved any of the links. The other is common sense about using 2-stroke oil in a motor designed for it.

I am glad to hear that you have had no problems, but maybe your not adding enough to even make a difference... have you thought of that? There are no "facts" that state how much to use to even be a benefit or even how much is to much (as I stated above)... so why even use it if your not even sure it is helping???

There are all kinds of "home remedies" that people use and this is an "old school" one when EGR's and computerized FICM's were not even thought of yet.

Hey... keep using it... but again, why not add 100 times more... so you get more lubricity... or is that too much... no one knows!!! As well, you have done nothing for cetane boost or anti-gel if in cold weather.

Good luck...

Old 04-26-2009, 10:48 PM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook

Why????

I have been doing it for 75,000 miles with no ill effects. Even in the winter at -50'F

Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beachbum Cook
The analogy of ULSD and LSD fuel is a poor analogy and inappropriate. All diesels can run with either fuel and are made using mandated ASTM standards.

To answer your question, my post above is from personal reading on the web and I will have to look later this week if I saved any of the links. The other is common sense about using 2-stroke oil in a motor designed for it.

I am glad to hear that you have had no problems, but maybe your not adding enough to even make a difference... have you thought of that? There are no "facts" that state how much to use to even be a benefit or even how much is to much (as I stated above)... so why even use it if your not even sure it is helping???

There are all kinds of "home remedies" that people use and this is an "old school" one when EGR and computerized FICM were not even thought of yet.

Hey... keep using it... but again, why not add 100 times more... so you get more lubricity... or is that too much... no one knows!!! As well, you have done nothing for cetane boost or anti-gel if in cold weather.

Good luck...

The reason I asked if you had any data on the practice of mixing 2 cycle oil in the fuel was to find out if someone experienced negative effects. There is some data on this site under lubricity additives survey where Super Tech brand 2 cycle ashless oil was tested. It increased the baseline lubricity of ULSD by a number 162 micron improvement at a ratio of 200:1 I use at ratio of 128:1 to make it simple when refueling. I also use Motorcraft cetane booster which I buy in the 1 gallon cans. In the winter I discontinue the Motorcraft and use PS antigel. As a side note the lubricity test mentioned that using 2 stroke oil in 2007 or newer trucks could cause problems.

Quick Reply: Howes fuel treatment