Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Up-pipe lessons

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:23 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Up-pipe lessons

I have had an audible exhaust leak for some time now and narrowed it down to the up-pipes. I finally pulled the trigger and hooked up with Clay at Riffraff Diesel Performance and ordered the IH pipes. Using the fantastic guide here on FTE, I pulled my turbo and related pieces. Using Pocket's guide (Welcome to Pocket's International UP-Pipe Replacement Web Page) I jumped into the up-pipe replacement with both feet.

A couple of notes to add for someone doing this swap. First, step one on both guides is disconnect the batteries. I usually skip this step. Its a pain to remember my stereo presets and what not. DON'T skip this step. While loosening the passenger side pipe from the manifold, I brushed the starter with my ratchet. Fourth of July under my truck. Did I immediately get out and disconnect the batteries? Nope. Did it again two more times before i got smart. Second, the back bolt on the topside of the passenger pipe is so much easier to get to if you remove the turbo pedestal.

All in all the job was not as bad as I thought. Special thanks to Clay. Also to Stewart_H for running to the stealership for me to grab something.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:27 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good deal Peter. Glad it went fine, even with the fireworks. Not bad using new parts.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I'll bet you gained some boost.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:30 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good for you Peter. And now you also have new turdo and pedastel o-rings.

Curtis's guide is invaluable. I used it when I upgraded my turbo and installed bellowed up-pipe.

Last time I got crossed up with the hot post on the starter was removing the coolant drain plug. It is quite a surprise.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:45 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I'll bet you gained some boost.
The other lesson I learned in this is much like Rome being built, up-pipes were not replaced in a day. I had to come in to the office today so I will finish up tomorrow morning (after disconnecting the batteries of course).

I am hoping to pick up some boost though. With the Bully Dog, the most I was able to boost was 19psi regardless of what setting it was on. Of course, the DP tuner gets ordered in a week.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by duck fan
DON'T skip this step. While loosening the passenger side pipe from the manifold, I brushed the starter with my ratchet. Fourth of July under my truck. Did I immediately get out and disconnect the batteries? Nope. Did it again two more times before i got smart.
ROTFLMAO! You didn't tell me about the 2nd and 3rd arc welds!

So you took the pedestal out to get to that bolt eh? I'll have to remember that when it's my turn x2.

Stewart

Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Mark Buzzard
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not trying to steal the thread but had a question. I read where some say the OEM donut gaskets don't realy last that long, and I have read about brass replacements as well as a bellowed replacement. I do know to look for the tell-tale black streaks on the pipes but are these things that unreliable? To tell the truth I am dreading the job if and when it happens..

Old 04-24-2009, 08:16 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote=duck fan;7425055]. Its a pain to remember my stereo presets and what not. quote]

If you take a plug that goes into the lighter and tie it onto a 9volt battery it is usually enough voltage to keep the memory alive in the radio, while the batteries are disconnected. Make sure to keep the doors shut or the battery will drain very quickly trying to light the interior lights.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Buzzard
Not trying to steal the thread but had a question. I read where some say the OEM donut gaskets don't realy last that long, and I have read about brass replacements as well as a bellowed replacement. I do know to look for the tell-tale black streaks on the pipes but are these things that unreliable? To tell the truth I am dreading the job if and when it happens..
Got the same feelings about this as well Mark.. Dreading it. Cross my fingers every time i change the oil and i give it a good once over while i am under there.. Please,please,please,please no black soot.. My luck is Snap/strip/swear words/broken garage windows/starting my truck on fire. LOL.

Nice job Peter. You made it sound easy.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Adam0331
Posting Guru
[quote=megawatt00;7425770]
Originally Posted by duck fan
. Its a pain to remember my stereo presets and what not. quote]

If you take a plug that goes into the lighter and tie it onto a 9volt battery it is usually enough voltage to keep the memory alive in the radio, while the batteries are disconnected. Make sure to keep the doors shut or the battery will drain very quickly trying to light the interior lights.
That's a good tip!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:32 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Adam. It has been a while since I did it, it used to work very well.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
another hint for those nasty rear bolts on the collector, 2- 12" socket extensions and a wobble on the socket end and you can reach them from under the truck. An air ratchet makes this even easier.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
another hint for those nasty rear bolts on the collector, 2- 12" socket extensions and a wobble on the socket end and you can reach them from under the truck. An air ratchet makes this even easier.
Best tip for those nasty rear bolts, have a friend fly up and lay on the engine to help guide you with 3 feet of extenstions

Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Well its all done. I have bruises all down one side of my body. I am too beat to test drive but initial impressions in the driveway are that my leak is gone. Again thanks to Clay @ Riffraff Diesel Performance, Stewart_H, and Nolan (4inchlovin). Nolan bailed out of work today to come help me finish up. He took some pictures and will be posting them in the next few days.

The most difficult thing was getting the Y-pipe on the back of the turbo. I fought with it forever and finally got it in place 5 minutes before Nolan showed up at my house. Figures.

I think Monday when I get into the office, I am going to have to spring for that supporter badge.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:28 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good work Peter. Did you do it without removing the turbo?

Quick Reply: Up-pipe lessons