Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 AM
New User

JimFromTN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Gas Mileage

I have a friend with a mid 90'2 F250 diesel who gets 20 mpg stock (no mods) and I have a neighbor with a 2004 f250 6.0 diesel that gets 24 mpg with powerchip, 4 inch pipes, and K&N filter. I also have another friend with a 2000 model f250 who says he gets around 20 mpg stock (no mods). I met someone with a 2009 f250 diesel who syas they are getting around 11 mpg stock. Whats up with this? Will he be able to make some mods and get it back up to 20 mpg or better? I have a friend whose father has a 2008 chevy 2500 diesel and he gets 13 mpg. Aren't the truck manufactueres going in the wrong direction?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Posting Guru

12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold
Different truck setups are going to get different results.

(engines,trans,rears, etc.)

I find it very hard to believe the 04 f250 6.0 gets 24 mpg.

The other results are believeable.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 AM
New User

Why the drop in gas mileage from 18-20 with the older diesels down to 11-13 with the newer ones?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
new Ford trucks produce more power/TQ, are much beefer to carry more loads/tow more than previous models.

Also the addition of the EPA mandated emissions has a giant impact on the ability to get the most out of mpgs.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 04-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Posting Guru

Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.
I get 30mpg on gas..... I get 13.5-14.5 on diesel. The diesel is in town 16-18 on the hiway. We don't use gas on the highway... The honda is to small...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Postmaster

aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.
I think the OP's point was the drop, not what they may or may not be getting. The drop, we all know has to do with the emissions equipment. Seems guys taking it off and reprogramming are getting much better mileage.

ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician

Current Vehicles:
2002 F-250 7.3L PSD 4x4 XLT
2002 Sunset Orange Mettalic WS6 Trans Am Convertible

"Maybe is for those who lack skill"
Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Senior User

Wash1331 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ozd View Post
Different truck setups are going to get different results.

(engines,trans,rears, etc.)

I find it very hard to believe the 04 f250 6.0 gets 24 mpg.

The other results are believeable.
My '06 is getting 20-22 mpg with no mods. It is up to how many hills you have to climb and how heavy your foot is. If I climb a lot of hills it goes down to about 18. I think it sucks that the 6.4 would get that bad of fuel mileage. You would hope that it was better than the 6.0, but who knows.
'03 FXSTBI
Old 04-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Posting Guru

12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash1331 View Post
My '06 is getting 20-22 mpg with no mods. It is up to how many hills you have to climb and how heavy your foot is. If I climb a lot of hills it goes down to about 18. I think it sucks that the 6.4 would get that bad of fuel mileage. You would hope that it was better than the 6.0, but who knows.

Are you using the lie o meter or doing the math?

Not questioning you,but that's fantastic mpg.

I've never been better than 15 w/ my 06,and I get the best of everyone here.(at work)

I don't hot rod either.Sure would like that extra 5-7 that you get.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Elder User

tazo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There are so many variables. How much you push down the throttle has everything to do with it. I drove down from the sierra's to the bay. With a 8000+- descent and got 24 mpg. That was only once. There was a nice tailwind and I drove 65 the whole way. In the real world I get 15.5 mpg with mixed driving some loads and pulling a trailer and some empty. And that's with b100 in the tank. I have to go up a 1 mile hill in 1st gear to get home everyday and that brings the mileage way down. In my old 97 psd I could never get better than 14.5 mpg driving the same roads. The newer trucks (08+) have so much emissions junk on them the fuel mileage suffers big time.
1999 EB expedition (Wife's)
Old 04-23-2009, 02:26 PM
New User

How much of an improvement in emission standards are the new diesels? It does not seem like someone was really doing the math unless the new emissions standard is cutting emissions by 50% or more. I am probably missing something but it seems like the new trucks would actually create more emissions because they are burning 75% more fuel. Am I doing the math wrong?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Postmaster

brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.
My '03 gets around 16mpg (give or take) overall. Weather, terrain, setup, tires, driving style, type of driving and driving style all make a difference (yes, driving style is that important). Throw in the fact that the '09 is brand new and you are looking at a big split in mileage. All the extra emissions don't help and the regen process helps keep the average down too. Supposedly the mileage will start to improve after the engine is broken in (20K or so???). I'm not sure on that last bit, since I'm at 178K!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Postmaster

ruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud of
Joel Rusche Joel Rusche Joel Rusche
I know this thread topic is not all about the 6.4 but if any of you care to know what we get MPG wise, go here:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/83...about-mpg.html

It's the emission control (zero black soot out the pipe), weight of the truck, ULSD requirement (because of it's lower sulfur content), and all of the other variables inherent to driving.

The ULSD has not been talked about lately but there is a theory that it gives less energy per unit than the older fuel did, so don't forget that part of it.
2 Kicker 10" subs, Rockford Fosgate amp
Ride-Rite air bags, VIAIR #10007 onboard air, AFE DPF back exhaust, power slot rotors/EBC pads, Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T 295/55 R20! Transfer-Flow 50 gal tank
Old 04-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Senior User

Rush117 has a good reputation on FTE.Rush117 has a good reputation on FTE.Rush117 has a good reputation on FTE.
My 05 6.0 gets 20-22 (hand calculated) on the highway empty and 12-13 pulling my 14k 5th wheel. It is all stock but I do run diesel kleen and I'm the bum who drives the speed limit that you get stuck behind (although I at least stay in the right lane).

I thought about trading for an 09 6.4 but since my 6.0 has been trouble free, I'm not about to take such a huge mileage hit and a payment for an increase in performance that I don't need.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:54 PM
New User

I)a\/I) is starting off with a positive reputation.
Speaking of diesel gas mileage,

Speaking of diesel gas mileage,
did I tell you about my hi skool daughter
who (ten years ago)
put gasoline in the diesel tank of the Volvo 740
6 cylinder in line supercharged diesel?

Yes, she was wondering why the nozzle didn't fit,
but she got a few gallons in the tank.

Perfectly good car ( I had already put 275,000 miles on it..)
shot to shxt...

==================

Everybody gets to ruin their first car:
mine was a 51 Buick Roadmaster.

I was a great car, once it got rolling:
but it just didn't like running air cooled.

Stupid damn car!

=======================

Ok to avoid a sign:

My manual 7.3, with the "edge" set on "economy"
gets 17.1 calculated around town,
and just shy of 22 on the road at 70 MPH,
with the rpm like 2010, if I recall.

And this is DOWN 1 mpg recently, for some reason..

I think it's the accumulated crap I'm hiding in the bed box maybe??

============

Somebody said there's a class action suit or two
filed against Ford and Chevy and Dodge
arising from discontent with the mileage obtained.

This is pure unsubstantiated 3rd party testimony..
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Posting Guru

QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFromTN View Post
How much of an improvement in emission standards are the new diesels? It does not seem like someone was really doing the math unless the new emissions standard is cutting emissions by 50% or more.
The reduction in emissions is huge. I can't remember the number but it is above 90% (I'm thinking closer to 100%).
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 60, 64l, diesel, f250, ford, gas, milage, mileage, powerstroke